Thread: Go Pro Hero 3 Black edition???

Default Go Pro Hero 3 Black edition???

So I was going to buy one, until I read all the negative comments on Amazon....Does anyone local have experience with the 3 yet??
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Quote Originally Posted by AK Fishkiller View Post
    So I was going to buy one, until I read all the negative comments on Amazon....Does anyone local have experience with the 3 yet??
    Its a good camera, I have not used it a bunch, but was relatively simple to figure out and use even for me, heck I managed to synch it to my I-pod and use that as the remote and the screen. It will also take vid at some settings besides wide angle, which kept me from buying one before.

I dont know what has been said in reference to "negative", I do know that charging it can be a hassle I was ready to return it when I tried to charge it via the USB on the computer, it took forever, same with the gopro 12v adapter, I finally got a wall plug in and 12v that has a 2 amp output, that helped allot, most USB outputs are 1/2 amp and take a log time. Hope this helps.......... The Amp output is supposed to be printed on the device, so says FCC, they apparently R good for something....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I plug mine into my Ipad wall charger since it's a 5a charger. Charges in no time.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I just read some of the reviews on amazon and apparently plenty of unhappy customers.
    I did have difficulty updating the firmware and wonder why one would need to do this on a 400 dollar camera....? I spoke to GP on the phone and they grudgingly helped me.......The lack of printed manual was annoying but its ez to download and keep on the phone or ipod. Battery life is somewhat disappointing too, but I didnt know what to expect in a small package like this (its my first GP). GP's support was lacking, I initially contacted them via email concerning the battery and they were not very helpful explaining how to charge, I was told to ise a 3.0 USB, heck I dont even know what I have in my old desktop..... probably a 2.0, in any case it took hours (over 24) to charge........if they had explained the amp output varied I would have got a wall charger right off the bat......
    .Camera has worked fine, I have used the time lapse mode some and played around with it a little bit.....I am not all that techy, so it takes me awhile to get the hang of it....
    TR

I have just started using mine, It takes really good footage and have not had any problems with it. Batteries dont last very long is the only negative I have. The way I fixed that is Amazon has a good deal on spare batteries and they seem to last longer than the stock battery.

Battery life is a well-documented issue, but one that can be resolved. If you are using wi-fi for control (either via the wireless remote or the app), plan on about 30 minutes of battery life (or less). If you can plug it into a power source, obviously problem solved. Alternatively you can purchase an add-on battery from GoPro, it comes with a new back cover to accomodate the piggy-back battery, and it runs about $80.

I've been pleased with mine so far, but it's only been used a couple of times. Excellent quality video - but this might cause me to have to get a new computer, as my 2007 era iMac just can handle that much processing.

Same here...camera works like it should but has a short battery life. With Wifi enabled via phone or remote it gets hot, eats the battery quick and goes into thermal protection mode. Cure...stop using wifi unless needed and carry batteries. These things seem cheap until you equip them for duty and then they can be very expensive. I have about $900 in mine including a quality editing software program...but I do have about every mount made in multiples, extra batteries and a waterproof Pelican case for it.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I just ordered one. Was really hesitant to do so. I liked my gopro 2 but I lost it last year. Anyway most of the negatives seemed to be solved if you install new firmware from what I hear.

I got mine from REI so if it does suck I'm taking it back!

I have found I get almost a hour on the battery using my I-pod, AK2AZ, what editing program are you using?
    TR

Keep the setting for vid at 920 or lower, to high and comp won't play, it'll be all jarbeled up and sound will cut out. On my comp at least, I gotta close everything in order for it play that high of setting. Some people I know just record in low res 720 or whatever. Camera does good tho, eats batteries, but out snowboarding this winter it did good. Pretty awesome cam. Got the email about new update, but never tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have found I get almost a hour on the battery using my I-pod, AK2AZ, what editing program are you using?
    I'm using Corel Video Studio Pro X5. They just released the X6 version but I doubt it would be worth the upgrade for me as I barely use 5% of what mine has to offer. Truly a great software program but does require a serious computer to stream video in the project in real time. My laptop with 8 gigs of ram and dual core processer does well however my other with 4 gigs of ram can't keep up.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff