Thread: Jetboil Fuel Consumption

Default Jetboil Fuel Consumption

I've been considering the Jetboil Sumo for sheep hunting this year as a possible weight saving for my cooking system. It would be boiling water for two people for Mtn House suppers and freeze dried breakfasts for a few mornings. Does anyone have a good feel for how many days you can get out of a fuel canister when boiling water for two people?

I'm trying to calculate if the Jetboil plus required fuel for an eight days would add up to less weight than what I am carrying with my current stove.

How many meals per day and why the Sumo? If you are just boiling roughly 2 cups for each meal you could easily survive with the smaller Sol (Titanium) or Zip (Aluminum). Personally I have the Primus Eta Solo which is very much like the Zip or Sol but not Titanium obviously. While Titanium is lighter, many have issues cooking in it but it wouldn't matter for you if you are just boiling water. In my Primus, 2 cups is less than half of the cup I think and it boils very quickly. The only issue is all of these I have mentioned only hold the smaller 110g cannister. Still, I would think you could get by. The other big factor will be air and water temps. I know when I was looking into the systems there are plenty of video and info out there where people test boiling times and fuel consumption. Sheep hunting at elevation might change some of the end results but I think you can get a good idea.

I have used two of the bigger canisters over four years while hunting in the fall and cooking on the boat in the summer. I don't feel that they use much fuel to be honest. Be sure to get the winter blend though. It always lights and burns hot. I didn't want to mess with grabbing the wrong can from the garage.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I brought two 450g cans on last years sheep hunt. Boiled twice per day. Ran out of fuel on the first canister on day 7.

I usually take two, but rarely get into the second one.

If it's cold out you'll use more fuel...cold weather performance is a real drawback to these, although supposedly improved from the first models.

Be sure to check with your air charter if you're using one- a lot of guys were caught short at the strip last year with canister gas stoves.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit