Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what exactly is the deal with the 22 ammo?

Default So what exactly is the deal with the 22 ammo?

So I've heard all sorts of ideas from shortages due to an increased demand with status quo production, to an increase in taxes on bulk ammunition, to all the conspiracy theories about the Department of Homeland Security hoarding etc. I am curious if anyone has some solid information on why 22s are so hard to find. I can understand why 223 ammo is so hard to find right now, because of all the talk of new gun control legislation, but why the 22s? Is it just because it is so cheap? Is it because people are thinking they need to hoard it for survival purposes? I just don't get what's going on here? 22s have always been so easy to find.

because morons are still paying 70-80 + dollars per brick. Thus people are buying it as soon as it touches the shelf so they can go put it on craigslist in the parking lot and make 3-4 times their money for doing nothing. Once people stop paying for it at those prices people will stop the scalping. Hell I know people personally who have done this and dont even own a gun and then brag about it. But hey as long as people keep buying it from them its going to keep happening.

Honestly the gun stores are just as guilty as anyone else. I watch a guy but 5 bricks of 22lr that was " ordered for him". He then sold two of them in the parking lot. I store has the new age standard sign up that said one per customer. He told me out side the store he just re sales it all at gun shows and on AL. He said he gets a phone call when it comes in.

So what exactly is the deal with the 22 ammo?
    Hoarding and scalping, and since 22 rimfire is the cheapest ammo available per round, you can hoard/scalp more for less.

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022 View Post
    .......I store has the new age standard sign up that said one per customer. He told me out side the store he just re sales it all at gun shows and on AL. He said he gets a phone call when it comes in.

Insider dealing.

Frustrating is what it is. The other side is they are friends and one is helping the other. Truly I'm ok with that. Pulse it's not my shop and after seeing that transaction I will shop else where

I think because it is popular to shoot which makes it in demand. Also when other ammo is hard to find and very expensive many people switched to shooting more of the cheaper .22 at the range. Then .22 became scarce.
    I think when it becomes available people are snatching it up right away for many reasons including stockpiling because they didn't earlier. Also because it is just such a popular round to shoot and still cheaper than .223 or 7.62 X 39.
    I agree if 100% of all shooters quit paying scalpers and their prices that would help a lot.I just dont see 100% of all shooters doing that especially those with the money to pay those prices regularly.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

.......after seeing that transaction I will shop else where
    Where? This shortage/phenomenon is nationwide.

Brian true but they sale other things I use.

Oh, yeah.

Unfortunately, I don't see this ammo shortage going away any time soon. It will last at least another year, and maybe more.

Honestly the gun stores are just as guilty as anyone else. I watch a guy but 5 bricks of 22lr that was " ordered for him". He then sold two of them in the parking lot. I store has the new age standard sign up that said one per customer. He told me out side the store he just re sales it all at gun shows and on AL. He said he gets a phone call when it comes in.

So spill the beans! We have just as much right to know who's doing what as they do, doing what they're doing.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

As fas the store name. Not a chance I respect this site and the store owner to much for that. It's his choice how he handles his sales.

The "customer" is ALWAYS right!

I check http://ammoseek.com/ a few times a day if I am looking for AMMO. Last Wed I picked up 1000 rds of 22lr from Cabelas for $50. Good way to see the market price also.

Quote Originally Posted by CDMonomonock View Post
    I check http://ammoseek.com/ a few times a day if I am looking for AMMO. Last Wed I picked up 1000 rds of 22lr from Cabelas for $50. Good way to see the market price also.

Im assuming you aren't from Alaska. We don't have a cabelas(yet) and we don't have the luxury of ordering online or this would be a non issue as I find all common calibers many times a week for a normal price online. However online ordering is cost prohibitive for most individuls who are just looking for 1k rounds here and there you will pay more for hazmat fees and shipping than the ammo itself

The better question is WHY do people think it should be readily available and cheap. WHY.......nothing in the "Bill of Rights", Nothing in the "Bible".

Where does this crazy, insane Idea originate.........???? It is NOT like you can't get it............It is just that you don't want it bad enough to pay for it.

I really do understand, as I live on $662.00 Social Security per month, and there are lots of things I don't want bad enough to pay the price. Think of all the things you pay for that you don't need. Cut back on TV, DVD, Movies, Food, Booze, Coffee, new clothes, you get the idea......Soon you will have so much extra money you will be buying .22 LR and flushing them down the toilet.

I have done four trade deals this month where I traded .22LR for other ammo. .22 LR ammo is available.

This whole issue reminds me of the sign that reads. "Pizz Poor Planning on your part, does NOT constitute an Emergency for us".

WHAT would you be willing to pay or trade for food if your family was starving to death...........If your young......you will find out.

One thing I have noticed on this forum and elsewhere...............There a Whole lot FEWER people sneering and ribbing the wackos with the tin-foil hats.

I am betting that in the next 20-30 years there will be a lot of estate sales w/.22 ammo. No way is it being shot up as fast as it is selling, so a whole bunch of people have way more than they will ever shoot in their lifetime. myself included

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    One thing I have noticed on this forum and elsewhere...............There a Whole lot FEWER people sneering and ribbing the wackos with the tin-foil hats.
    AG..... Is it now time for the tin foil hats crowd to be able to sneer back at them? Or must we adjust our hats and wait a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by CDMonomonock View Post
    I check http://ammoseek.com/ a few times a day if I am looking for AMMO. Last Wed I picked up 1000 rds of 22lr from Cabelas for $50..........
    That's really neat, but isn't there a shipping conundrum to Alaska?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast