Thread: Labrador Tea

Default Labrador Tea

We’ve recently been talking about Labrador Tea here. It has been a while so we went out to the tundra and picked a handful and brewed up a cup of tea. Good stuff!

I don’t like it too strong so I use a scant teaspoon of the dried leaf or 3 (maybe 4) fresh leaves that have been cut in half. Flowers are good too when in bloom. And a bit of honey really brings out the flavor.

Like all wild edibles, identify because the Bog Rosemary looks similar, grows in the same areas and is not edible! Look for wooly undersides on the Labrador Tea and white flowers when in bloom. The Bog Rosemary has pink, bell shaped flowers and a smooth underside. For a picture of Labrador Tea look here:

http://www.ontariowildflower.com/ima...ea_redlake.jpg

Nothing like a nice hot cup of tea!
    Enjoy,
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Thought I would dig up a couple of pictures to show the difference between Labrador Tea flowers and Bog Rosemary... But, notice how similar the leaves look! Look for the wooly underside of the leaves for Labrador Tea. Also, another thing to notice is that the Bog Rosemary doesn't have much of a smell.

Labrador Tea

Bog Rosemary

If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default Reserving Labrador tea?

Picked about a gallon of Labrador tea yesterday. Also, learned from observation, which was confirmed by an Internet search, that there are two varieties of Lab. tea, often growing side by side as I noted. Common Labrador tea is a bigger plant with bigger leaves than Dwarf Labrador tea.

Anyway, since I have too much to use in the near future, I'm going to try drying some and mincing it after drying for later use.

Has anyone ever tried this? Any reason it shouldn't work?