Thread: K-Bay rockfish

Default K-Bay rockfish

I will be spending 6 days in k-bay bobbing around looking for fish and bears. We will be staying in bear cove, but during the day we will be out and about. My question is about rockfish. Can they be found in the bay and if so where? Not looking for a set of GPS points just general location. All so will some cut bait or a split tail in bear cove bring anything to the hook? Thanks. G

I've jigged all over the bay, and have never caught a rockfish outside eldred passage. Up by bear bear cove there are pollock by chugachik and some halibut on the bumps off bear point.
    Good luck on the bears, I picked up one of the cove's year-round residents today and he hasn't seen a one. Most of the land up there is private, but as you have a place to stay I am assuming you are aware of that.
    If I were based in BC I would run up to the marten river on a high, beach the boat and hunt the flats there.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    I've jigged all over the bay, and have never caught a rockfish outside eldred passage. Up by bear bear cove there are pollock by chugachik and some halibut on the bumps off bear point.
    Good luck on the bears, I picked up one of the cove's year-round residents today and he hasn't seen a one. Most of the land up there is private, but as you have a place to stay I am assuming you are aware of that.
    If I were based in BC I would run up to the marten river on a high, beach the boat and hunt the flats there.
    Years ago I dove off the end of Nubble Point and found plenty of black rockfish and lingcod there. We were spearfishing between Nubble and that can that's anchored off the end of the point. I've not fished them inside that area, but I killed a few at Nubble for sure.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Years ago I dove off the end of Nubble Point and found plenty of black rockfish and lingcod there. We were spearfishing between Nubble and that can that's anchored off the end of the point. I've not fished them inside that area, but I killed a few at Nubble for sure.

-Mike

I suppose I should have been more specific. I have never caught a rockfish "up-bay" from eldred passage. Plenty of duskies in and around eldred, and the closer you get towards pogi the more likely to find big blacks.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks for the advice. We will give it a try.

I've heard of some luck trolling for kings up near Bear Cove this past week. My understanding is there's lots 'o bait up there so the odds are good there's some kingly type salmon there too...

We may need to take a look around

Martin river feeds the mud flats right? I'm a little hesitant to boat up the flats. Never have looks ominous. Is it deeper then it looks? Looks around 2" or so and silty mud.

I suppose I should have been more specific. I have never caught a rockfish "up-bay" from eldred passage. Plenty of duskies in and around eldred, and the closer you get towards pogi the more likely to find big blacks.
    I understand. I thought you were saying the opposite, but that didn't make sense. No problem.

I wonder why they are not farther up in the bay? Do you think it's too silty? Or perhaps too much fresh water in there? We never fished for them farther in the bay than the Yukon Island area...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay