Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly tying Equiptment

Default Fly tying Equiptment

I am looking to start tying my own flys for my next assignment to ALASKA!
    I am currently serving a 1 year tour in the Middle east, and was wondering what would be a decent beginer setup and supplies. to just get the basics down and learn the process!
    Also what is a good book aor video to get to learn the basics.
    Figure I got some time I might as well do something productive.

thanks

Chris Worthen

Chris,

There are quite a few good YouTube videos on basic Alaska fly patterns like egg sucking leaches, flesh flies, steak and eggs, dolly lamas etc.
    Alaska Fly Fishing Goods in Juneau is a good resource. They have good educational material on their website and will ship fly tying material including their mini "tie a dozen" kits which include all the ingredients to tie 12 specific flies (with instructions and links to videos). I think something like a light weight Renzetti travel vice, a Dr. Slick assorted fly tying tool kit, and a few tie a dozen sets would be a good start. It is a fun way to pass the time .

MHK

I got started with an Orvis kit. It has a step by step book and all the material including tools to tie about 8 different flys, mainly trout flys. It has served me well. I have found the best tool to tie flys is You Tube. You can look up 100s flys or more and watch how to tie them. Plus you can pause and rewind to figure stuff out. The fly shop in Juneau has a very in depth website. Stick with some patterns you like to fish with and just get the material for those, help you save a few bucks. Good luck.

I think the best books I have on tying flies (learner stage) are by Randall Kaufmann; one on tying nymphs and one on dry flies, etc. I did a quick search and see Kaufmann Streamborn is out of business. Don't know if the books are avail. somewhere else. Great books.

There is a series of books (soft cover) out by Skip Morris that are pretty good.

Kits: My Dad built his own rods and started to fish only with flies. I figured it was about time for him to start tying them as he was retired and had the time. He knew some guys that would meet at a fly shop for coffee when they were in town. I called the owner up and asked him to put together a "kit" with good quality tools and enough materials to get him a good start; I don't remember what the budget was but it was spendy. Now this is a shop owner hand picking tools and supplies for someone he knows well and knows both the water and fish that the flies are for. After Dad passed away my sister and I cleaned out the house and he had enough supplies to stock a pretty nice shop. We also found the original box still having Christmas paper on the outside, but cut so the box could be opened. It had maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the stuff that had never been used or not used much. Some things you just got to get for yourself and some things one person really likes another will never use. It's a real touchy feely thing.

Hi Chris.

As with all new hobbies, first thing to ask yourself is what's your budget?

If you're specifically looking at flies for a trip to Alaska, consider this kit from AFFG
    http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

You don't need a high-dollar vise to learn the basics. Sure it's nice, but you may decide fly tying is not for you, so don't feel you need to dump a bunch of cash to get started. A simple kit like this can go a long way to learning the basics.
    http://www.caddisflyshop.com/hasttokitwan.html

The most economical way to tie is to pick a pattern or two (say egg suckling leeches and flesh flies) and buy the supplies needed individually. I'd be happy to make a list of materials you'd need for any fly of interest.
    http://www.caddisflyshop.com/hasttokitwan.html

If you just want to mess around and kill time and experiment with different materials and techniques, any of the starter kits available would be fine.
    http://www.caddisflyshop.com/wadeflytystk.html
    Bear in mind that most starter kits are keyed towards Lower 48 trout flies and often don't have materials used for more standard Alaskan fare. But you can always supplement with additional materials later when you have specific patterns in mine.

Plenty of good books, but with the internet all you need to do is search "fly tying whatever" to find videos and tutorials.
    http://alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/index.html
    http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

AWESOME info guys!
    I will look these up I think i will probally only upgrade the Vice so that I can have a better one to start out!!!
    I look forward to lots of enjoyment in tying my own flies and more importantly catching fish with something that I tied!!
    Chris

AWESOME info guys!
    I will look these up I think i will probally only upgrade the Vise so that I can have a better one to start out!!!
    I look forward to lots of enjoyment in tying my own flies and more importantly catching fish with something that I tied!!
    Chris

Just my two cents on upgrading the vies. I finally upgraded to a rotary vise and it has sure quickened some of my tying. But that being said I would be sure on the vise to have hook holding capability as your first concern. Sure a rotary vise can make it easier to see what is going on different sides of the fly but I think the big difference is speed. I have been tying since I was a kid and with the rotary I haven't seen a big jump in quality but when tying simple patterns with a rotary vise the time savings is considerable. All is lost however if the hook doesn’t hold well. Enjoy and when you get up here look up a few weekend tying groups. I know there are some in Anchorage, but I live in Wasilla and there is one Saturdays at Three Rivers. It usually starts around or after Thanksgiving, but really any weekend you feel like tying they are happy to have you and will show you the ropes as time allows.

There are occasional vise nights at Big Ray's in downtown Fairbanks. I have yet to make it in for one but they post announcements on their Facebook page.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Are you going to JBER or Fairbanks?

I would just buy the tools you need and materials you need. Kits suck ass and come with all cheap *****. Also ask about military discounts when you buy. A place I used when I was in Afganistan was http://www.bearsden.com/ They ship very fast and have a lot to choose from.

Let me know if you need help getting started. I have some materials and a brand new vise I can send you for zero doll hairs. Just PM or email me ( chris@glsteelheadco ) your APO over there.

Christopher

I am going to JBER,
    Appreciate The infoon the website

I will PM you my APO Address, the assistance is greatly appreciated!!!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    Are you going to JBER or Fairbanks?

I would just buy the tools you need and materials you need. Kits suck ass and come with all cheap *****. Also ask about military discounts when you buy. A place I used when I was in Afganistan was http://www.bearsden.com/ They ship very fast and have a lot to choose from.

Let me know if you need help getting started. I have some materials and a brand new vise I can send you for zero doll hairs. Just PM or email me ( chris@glsteelheadco ) your APO over there.

Christopher

CTobias,
    Did you recieve my APO Address? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smokinclays View Post
    I am going to JBER,
    Appreciate The infoon the website

I will PM you my APO Address, the assistance is greatly appreciated!!!
    Chris

You might be still to new to PM yet

Y i used the Email member feature but not sure if it went thru... How long do ya have to be a member before ya can PM? thanks
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    You might be still to new to PM yet

Man, good advice in these replies.

The flies specified by mhk (post#2) cover a nice range of techniques; all the basics you'll need for tying most good local flies... except nymphs.
    I like the patterns mentioned and fish them a lot. YouTube fly tying clips are terrific. That shop in Juneau, AK Flyfishing Goods is also terrific.
    But I'd focus on techniques, then specific colors/flies. It won't take you long.

If you're going to get started while deployed, like Wyo2AK said, just get started. Maribou, rabbit strips...couple spools of lead or I have an entry-level Griffin (approx $70-$90) which I still use a lot b/c it's portable. I tied a lot of flies while deployed.

A guy on these forums asked a similar question years back. On his own, he found the Anvil Apex vise - a pretty cool tool and for $90 or so as I recall. He did good.

Good luck.

You guys are all awesome, I have been wanting to leard to tie Flies but never realy thought it was something I could teach myself.... But my plan is to learn the basics and then teach my daughter (she will be 12) to do it she is SUPER excited to learn and has been searching online and watching videos on YouTube!!! Keep the info rolling, I appreciate any and all pointers!!!!

Default Fly tying Equiptment

Quote Originally Posted by smokinclays View Post
    CTobias,
    Did you recieve my APO Address? Thanks
    I got the email, but somehow managed to delete it while cleaning. Send it again. I have the vise, tools, hooks and some materials ready to go.

Chris@glsteelheadco.com

When are you getting into JBER?

I will be there someting late may 2014 or early June 2014.
    When are you getting into JBER?

Just sent ya the address via email. thanks again
    I got the email, but somehow managed to delete it while cleaning. Send it again. I have the vise, tools, hooks and some materials ready to go.

Chris@glsteelheadco.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast