Thread: Cooling trouble on small outboard

Question Cooling trouble on small outboard

Last winter I took off the lower unit on my 15 hp Honda and replaced the drive shaft and prop shaft. I put it all back together and every thing seemed fine until I noticed that at high RPM it doesn't move water through the cooling system. It will slow down until nothing but steam comes out. If I stop it will start circulating again. It seems to have less water moving through it at all speeds also. Any Ideas? I ran it for about 1 1/2 hours on sunday and by the end of the run it seemed to be doing better, but I am going to take it on a trip next weekend and want ever thing in top shape.
    Thanks
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I'd make sure the water pump impeller isn't spinning on the shaft. What you describe sounds like just that.

Are you gaging the coolant flow by the pee hole output? Disconnect the rubber hose and make sure no grass or bark is in there. Sometimes a little debris will block the tube. I carry a piece of safety wire in the boat to unplug the pee hole on my small motor. On the big one I just quit trying. It clogs up faster than I can clear it.

I agree with Mr Pid. I'd replace the impeller though. If you have to take it apart to check it anyway, you are always better to replace it.