Thread: Anybody shoot the tiny centerfires?

Default Anybody shoot the tiny centerfires?

I just lucked into a great deal on a Remington 700BDL in 17rem. It's a really clean early production specimen and after tuning the trigger and decoppering the heck out of it, I mounted a mint Weaver T10 with a 1/8th minute Lee dot reticle. I found an old set of Pacific Durachrome dies and a sack of new brass at the last Palmer gunshow. Sportsmans had plenty of bullets on the shelf, which made me think I like this thing even more. I haven't had it to the range yet, wife just got a new shotgun and a trapshooting addiction that has consumed our weekends, but I think it's going to be fun.

I just don't have much experience with the sub cals, in centerfires anyway, and was curious as to whether anyone else shot the needle guns.

Well kid you are going to have fun and be amazed at the terminal destruction. I had a 17 hornet. It was fun. I currently have the same rifle you do and it is even more fun. Work on the loads, you can get three shot groups you can cover with the shell head. They kill all out of perportin to the bullet weight. I had best luck with Hornady. That said I ws loading these when the choice was them or remington 25 gr only. Have never tried any of hte lighter or heavier bullets or the polymer tips. I do weigh all powder charges as very little powder will make a big difference in velocity. Hope this helps. Pm me if you want the load I use. I do not push this to the max.

I shot the same rifle a bunch "back in the day" when the round was new and I had hair on top of my head. Early Rem factory ammo was NASTY for fouling. You couldn't get through a box of it before group sizes exploded and you had to do some serious cleaning. Hornady's fixed that, with all-day ground squirrel shoots and still not enough fouling to disrupt groups. Lots of options in bullets now, but those were the only choices back then.

I peddled the rifle when I moved up here in the middle 1970's and haven't owned one since. Can't even recommend loads, but I'll endorse your first step- decoppering. Stay on top of it, and the round will make you smile. I doubt you'll be shooting several hundred shots a day like we were, but I'd still try to determine which bullets gave the least fouling, then find the best loads for those.

I should add that within a few years Remington changed their jackets and solved the fouling problems. Only reason it's significant, I'd be leery of any hot buys you might find of really old ammo. Good source of brass for sure, but plan on some serious bore cleaning in the meantime.

I've been planning on using the Hornady offerings for bullets, they are cheap and available, don't think Remington even sells the PowrLokt anymore. I bought a hundred count box of 20gr VMax to start with, if I like them and they shoot well I'll buy a 500 count box or two of the ZMax bullets, they are the same but for the tip color, and they are really cheap. I wish I could find some medium fast burning ball powder, I'm all out of 335 and 4895 and 4320 are tough to get through the necks. Oh well someday things will calm down and I'll get to try some CFE223, it's supposed to be bottled lightning for the 17rem and 20gr bullets, hodgdon shows nearly 4500fps safely!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    wife just got a new shotgun and a trapshooting addiction that has consumed our weekends,
    I have to congratulate you on this, but I have to ask.....Trapshooting is one thing, but will she get into the duck blind with you? I guess I'm assuming you duck hunt?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I have to congratulate you on this, but I have to ask.....Trapshooting is one thing, but will she get into the duck blind with you? I guess I'm assuming you duck hunt?
    Oh lord yes, she's hooked on all things hunting, fishing, and shooting. She already has a caribou and a blackbear on the wall and really wants a moose this year. She bought her own shotgun with her birthday money her dad sent her this year, and has been clamoring about duck hunting ever since.

Looks like we got a new hunting partner for the duck blind this year. Sounds like I'm still going to be the worst shot in the marsh again with all the practice she's getting in.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Oh lord yes, she's hooked on all things hunting, fishing, and shooting. She already has a caribou and a blackbear on the wall and really wants a moose this year. She bought her own shotgun with her birthday money her dad sent her this year, and has been clamoring about duck hunting ever since.
    Right on.......you're a lucky man...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I use a Remington model 7 CDL in .17 fireball for my open country fox gun and my hunting partner uses a 700 BDL in .17 Remington like yours. The 17s are ideal for those critters that hang up out there 150 yards out, bang flop. Super fun to shoot, super accurate and with little recoil you get to watch the business end through your scope. You are going to have a blast...

I purchased a 700 Remington in 17 cal. back in the 70's. As others have said it had it's good side but to me it also had a down side. A blade of broomstraw, grass, or a drop of rain and it was useless. Wind would move the light and fast bullet a lot also. One of the main things I did like about this round was you hardly ever got a exit wound. It is very fur friendly. I let mine slide after about four years and my dad decided he liked it and went and bought it back from the guy I sold it to. He owned it until he passed away a couple years ago and now another family member owns it.

Kid,
    I have a 17HMR, and all I can say is don't shoot a squirrel you plan on eating with it. I agree with you on the Z-Max, tip color doesn't matter to me, $23 per 500 does, which was the savings on the boolits for my 204 Ruger at Soldotna Sportsman's last week.
    Low recoil, low noise, lots of fun, your wife may claim that little toy for her own.
    Don't want no one to get hurt, but if yore gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.