Thread: Irons on a rifle which has never had them

Default Irons on a rifle which has never had them

OK, so I found that with a little emery cloth work I could make the front banded sight from an Enfield No. 1 Mk. III fit over the muzzle of my Ruger American .308. This will work with Warne Q/D mounts for my scope and a Weaver back up rear sight which fits over my rear scope mount. The big question is: how do I level my rear sight with my front sight since they were not made to work with each other? The Enfield front sight is fairly tall, and I can get various height leaves to put in the dovetail. At this point I plan to start at 25 yds. with a big old piece of dry wall and work from there, but maybe there is an easier way someone knows about... ?????

The only way I know without eyeballing as close as possible, then a lot of plain old trial and error, is to do a bunch of measuring and arithmetic. I know the Marble Arms web site has good descriptive instructions on the measuring and math required to do what you want...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The only way I know without eyeballing as close as possible, then a lot of plain old trial and error, is to do a bunch of measuring and arithmetic. I know the Marble Arms web site has good descriptive instructions on the measuring and math required to do what you want...
    Yeah, I saw that. And being mathophobic, it scared the crap out of me! I thought about putting a not-too-tight dowel through the bore and measuring from the top of it to get a rough height of the sights on either end. But I'm thinking trial and error will probably be the way I go on this. If I can get it to shoot passably at 75 yds. I'll feel somewhat pleased. I only want this system for back up. I've had two scopes fail me, and just last week my son's high end Trijicon went south on him. I would really suck to have a rifle with no way to sight down it.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. And being mathophobic, it scared the crap out of me!
    Get your kid to help you...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Get your kid to help you...
    Haha! He's just going into 7th grade and seems to be cursed with the same distaste of numbers and formulae that plagues me. I think with a peep sight the Marbles measuring system doesn't quite work anyway.

Looks like the rear sight is adjustable so set it about half way up and start trying shot at target and go from there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yeah, probably will try that. It's new territory for me since I've always either had rifles that had irons on them to begin with or didn't. I guess I'll look at it as a fun project and hope I don't have to use too much ammo!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've messed around with iron sights a time or two. I hate math too. This is not as daunting as it seems. You can do it without the math.

Just shoot at 25 yards for elevation, and adjust the rear sight if it's high or low.

If there isn't enough adjustment you'll need a different height front sight. Higher if you're shooting high, or lower if shooting low. You might need to get a sight that's too high and file it down to where it oughta be.

For windage, you can move either the front or rear sight. If you can't get enough there, one of'em is mounted crooked.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    If there isn't enough adjustment you'll need a different height front sight. Higher if you're shooting high, or lower if shooting low. You might need to get a sight that's too high and file it down to where it oughta be.

SOTN
    That's what I'm thinking. Fortunately, Enfield had a bunch of different blade heights that I can fool with if necessary. My next step is to home-parkerize the reconfigured front sight, then I will Devcon it on. Since it's banded, and has a hole for a pin to go through the surface of the barrel, I'm not too worried about it coming off

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Do you have a laser bore sighter handy?

If so, put it in the chamber and adjust your sights to it for an initial adjustment and then fine tune from there once you test fire it.

If not, take a fired case, punch the primer out and run some carpenter string through it, down the barrel and to your target as straight as possible. Providing you a visual boresight POI. Adjust your sights to that and then fine tune from there.

Not overly scientific, but it gets you on the drywall sooner and withless ammo spent.

Thanks for the tips, but it is a done deal. I took it out yesterday and was pleasantly surprised, with the first shot, to put it within 8" of bulls eye at 25 yds. I tweaked it and got it reasonably on target at 25, and then I moved the target out to 50 yds., where I found that I really had to bump the front sight over to stay on center, and was shooting high. I decided that I needed to use the very top of the sight blade as my aim point. By 75 yds., where I stopped, I found that I had a hard time even seeing the blade against the target with these old eyes, and I was still shooting high and to the left, though I had the sight blade over as far as I reasonably could get it. I suspect that, in spite of my best efforts to attach the banded sight straight and true, I epoxied it on a just little off. I may try heating it up, re-epoxying it and moving it just a tad... or not. I am also thinking about super gluing a small piece of slit wire insulation to the top of the blade for a better aim point for elevation.
    In all, I know that if my scope went south, I could reasonably aim my rifle at 50-75 yds. and do OK with it, and that is all I really intended to do. Now to remount my scope and go back to optics again.

You will get it down good before its over.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you