Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8wt vs 9wt for Sockeye

Default 8wt vs 9wt for Sockeye

Just curious which you prefer for Sockeye fishing on the Kenai?

For the mainstream I prefer a 9, but I have and use both.

10wt. No bull**** with a 10wt. I mean lets be real here, we are there to catch our Sockeye limit and get back to Trout Fishing. At least that's where I'm at with whole thing.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

The places most of the crowds fish are all about horking your fish out of the water quick. I'd go with a 10wt too, and just get it over with. No notion of "playing" the fish when you got a guy on each elbow and two in front of you. Without the crowds my favorite rod is a 6wt, but you're not "fishing" when you're hip deep in people.

Forget the 10wt, use a dip net and fill the freezer with sockeye. You can then go fly fishing somewhere remote, someplace where you aren't standing elbow to elbow fishing....

A 9 wt is adequate to efficiently bring them is and is a little more fun to "cast"

Thanks for all the input. I have been using an 8wt myself over the past few years. I do seem a little under gunned sometimes and was thinking of possibly getting a 9wt this year...

I'll expand a bit on my response:

When fishing an 8wt, I have not trouble getting fair hooked fish landed in a reasonable amount of time and without impeding others, even in crowds. I don't even mess with foul hooked fish, I break them off quick. I also prefer the 8wt when I'm only carrying one rod and switching between trout and salmon fishing.

I'm i'm ONLY fishing the Kenai for reds that day, I take the 9wt and wouldn't hesitate to move up to a 10 as another poster mentioned.

Hope that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I have been using an 8wt myself over the past few years. I do seem a little under gunned sometimes and was thinking of possibly getting a 9wt this year...
    Everyone is different, but I don't notice all that much difference in rods jumping from one size to the next in the same model and brand. You can feel lots of difference between "8WTs" by switching between models of one brand, much less between brands. But when I'm looking for backbone while using the same model, I jump TWO line sizes, i.e., from an 8 to a 10.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'll expand a bit on my response:

When fishing an 8wt, I have not trouble getting fair hooked fish landed in a reasonable amount of time and without impeding others, even in crowds. I don't even mess with foul hooked fish, I break them off quick. I also prefer the 8wt when I'm only carrying one rod and switching between trout and salmon fishing.

I'm i'm ONLY fishing the Kenai for reds that day, I take the 9wt and wouldn't hesitate to move up to a 10 as another poster mentioned.

Hope that helps...
    Hey Limon, I have quite a few other rods for trout so I would only be using it for Reds to fill my freezer. I have quite a few other rods I use for bows/dollies. I can handle the fish with an 8, just wanted to see if many others used the same caliber. I just may have to spend a few extra bucks and get a 9wt. Anybody used the Redington Crosswater? If I am needing a "red only" rod for limited use you can pick these up for 75 bucks, just wouldnt want it to break on its first time use - have had some Reds that can really bend the rod when they get into the current! I am going to also try and do some research on this rod myself.

I don't have any experience with that reddington, i've been using the same Lamiglass 9WT for 6 summers now, primarily for reds but also for silvers, steelhead and a few kings, I think I paid $130 for it. Poor things been thrown, kicked, dropped, used for a hiking staff, etc and keeps on trucking. Typically the rods that "explode" have been kinked by dropping them on a sharp edge, even cheap graphite will bend in half without harm if its not kinked.

Go with a good fast action 10 wt. Like mentioned above, only jumping one weight might not be that noticable. Also, once you pick up the 10wt, now you have a rod that can handle kings on the smaller rivers.

I got a new 9wt Redington Pursuit on the way and will retire the 8wt for now. Picked it up for 100 bucks and seems to have really good reviews. Thanks for the input. Reds beware...

It also depends on where you fish. I fish the Kenai where there is a very strong current even for the Kenai and I like my 10wt and have even used a 12wt at times when the river is higher than average. I am no pro here but I have never seen someone wish they had a lighter rod for Reds on the Kenai and many who wish they had heavier

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    It also depends on where you fish. I fish the Kenai where there is a very strong current even for the Kenai and I like my 10wt and have even used a 12wt at times when the river is higher than average. I am no pro here but I have never seen someone wish they had a lighter rod for Reds on the Kenai and many who wish they had heavier
    I usually fish Centennial Park and the current can be pretty tough there as well. Again, my 8wt could handle it but I did feel that I was at a disadvantage. I imagine a 12 wt could really put the brakes on a freight train red.

I would have to consider all the above comments especially considering where. I chose a 10wt simply cause I use mine for all the lower rivers in the early season for kings then move to reds in the Kenai. First run reds( Russian reds) are not to hard to handle as they are modest sized that goes for kasilof reds as well. Second run Kenai reds caught mainstream can be a handful especially when the river is ripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I would have to consider all the above comments especially considering where. I chose a 10wt simply cause I use mine for all the lower rivers in the early season for kings then move to reds in the Kenai. First run reds( Russian reds) are not to hard to handle as they are modest sized that goes for kasilof reds as well. Second run Kenai reds caught mainstream can be a handful especially when the river is ripping.
    The second run is what I always target, and yes they can be a handful! Last years run was great with some monster fish. Cannot wait until mid to late July!

I made a 12 wt St Croix for Kings in the Valley & Reds in the Kenai & Klutina. Lots of fun & no problems regardless of river conditions or competion. Hope this helps. MET
    Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    Just curious which you prefer for Sockeye fishing on the Kenai?

Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    I made a 12 wt St Croix for Kings in the Valley & Reds in the Kenai & Klutina. Lots of fun & no problems regardless of river conditions or competion. Hope this helps. MET
    Thats overkill Mr MET. LOL Kidding. I don't think I've seen you post anything on here before.

Any 10 wt would work well. For those 2nd run kenai hogs I've even felt a little under gunned with my 8wt. Undergunned meaning I don't want to piss off the guy next to me to much with my drag ripping in front of him. I can definitely tell when I'm using my 8wt all day vs my 10wt, should seems to not like me after the flipping over and over.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i use Lamiglass 8 wts.. and the kids use ugly stick 10 wts.. on the Klutina and the kenai.. reels are spooled with 40lb mono not fly line and have never had any issues with rod wt. the 10 wts DO! get heavy flipping them compaired to the 8's of course.. i have seen some EXPENSIVE sage, and other rods explode in the 7&8 wt range .. sure sucks to repair or replace a $400-$800+ rod due to ripping reds..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast