Thread: When does the Sheep Season Start?

Default When does the Sheep Season Start?

Its been alluded to here and the AK Fish and Game Website doesn't have it so........ what is the date of the '06 Sheep Season?

Default sheep season

Joe, it starts on aug 10 and ends on sept 20

Default sheep season...

Doesn't open soon enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana
    Doesn't open soon enough!!!
    Ditto. I'm hiking in on the 8th.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Snyd..

That's about when we went into DS203 last year. I hope you have good weather and that it's not too hot. It was very hot last year! Good luck.

That's about when we went into DS203 last year. I hope you have good weather and that it's not too hot. It was very hot last year! Good luck.
    Thanks. How did you guys do last year? I hope it's not to hot also. Or snowing and socked in! One 4th of July morning we woke up with 3 inchess of wet snow on our truck at Paxson lodge. That AK Range weather can be unpredictable.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Ds203

Snyd,

Both my partner and I had permits, but we only killed one ram. We were two days in and it was really hot so we decided to get out with the meat ASAP. We saw a lot of sheep and some beautiful country, but no huge rams. I think if we had pushed in another few miles and got up around the snowfields we might have found a whopper. As it was we ran into a legal ram on the 11th and decided to take him.

Chisana

Snyd,

Both my partner and I had permits, but we only killed one ram. We were two days in and it was really hot so we decided to get out with the meat ASAP. We saw a lot of sheep and some beautiful country, but no huge rams. I think if we had pushed in another few miles and got up around the snowfields we might have found a whopper. As it was we ran into a legal ram on the 11th and decided to take him.

Chisana
    Sounds like you made the right decision. Must have been hard though to have to leave early. We will be two days in also. Funny how we are at the mercy of the weather. That's the way it goes.

Default tough call...

It was a tough decision. We thought about trying to go back after we got our meat taken care of, but we were too beat. Since my partner didn't get his ram last year, he gets the first shot this fall. I've heard it's been hot again in the interior which is not good for early sheep hunters.

Default hot weather....

Chisana, some of us shoot highly elevated rams and hot weather isnt that much of a factor. In fact, to me overly cold and wet weather is far more worriesome.
    We've never taken a ram below 7,000'. Its always cool and windy up there. The trick is getting the meat out of the sun and still getting the wind around it...A siltarp works well. We get in and get out anyway.

For lower elevations, I imagine its more of a challenge.

Default good point..

Fullkurl,

Above 7000' I doubt hot weather is as much of a problem. I imagine you can usually find some snow fields up there as well. Personally I've never taken a ram above 7000' so I can't speak to what works there or doesn't. I think the key point in what you said is that you get in and get out after you have killed your ram. Unless I am getting some low 40 degree or even 30 degree weather at night I spend a lot of time worrying about my meat until it is in the freezer!

Default 7000'

Fullkurl,

Just curious what range you are hunting that you typically harvest rams above 7000 feet? Not trying to pry specifics from you, it's just that most of my hunts have focused on elevations between 4500-6500 feet. It seems like I see more animals in that "elevation band" and that the food quality and abundance diminshes above it.

Regards,

Austin

Default 7000'

4500' to 6500' is a good band, but sheep will bed higher, if pushed hard or sig'ly worried by hunters (2 legged or 4 legged) I have seen them bed down on the very tippy top of the highest mountain around...also sometimes if they are old...and wise...which often also means big time braggin' size if they are carrying the good genes.

Default Interior weather

It was a tough decision. We thought about trying to go back after we got our meat taken care of, but we were too beat. Since my partner didn't get his ram last year, he gets the first shot this fall. I've heard it's been hot again in the interior which is not good for early sheep hunters.
    Actually it has been a cool spring and summer. It snowed here in downtown Fairbanks early this month. None stuck but the flakes were coming down. People all around had to cover up flowers and gardens because of several hard frosts also this month. The past couple weeks have been in the 70's.

We'll will be between 5000 and 6500 ft. You know how it goes. We could have 80 above or a foot of snow. Gotta love Alaska!

Default 7000'

Frank-
    Hate to break it to ya buddy, but those are mountain goats you been shooting up over 7000'. Dall sheep are the ones with the curly horns down around 5000'. :-)

Default high country sheep...

Its hard to believe they are up that high, but they are up there every year. Shpshtr is right, the biggest rams probably never see hunters up in the high snowpack and glaciers, thats why they get so large. Most of us just dont go that far up to pursue them.
    Theres lots of high country in the AK range and Wrangels Austin.
    Food can be scarce up high. Its amazing what sheep call food--tiny bits of moss and lichen that is someimes barely visible.
    I once watched a nice ram in some spires that was on his hind legs pulling tiny bits of moss/lichen from between rocks that were above him. Quite a show. There was better food all around about 1000 feet lower, but he wouldnt budge. He rolled down the mountain awhile after we took him. We were above him--as all good sheep hunters should be

We're in shape and ready for goats after a typical sheep hunt, thats for sure!

Default Season started months ago

I thought season started last winter when it was time again to start getting into sheep shape.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    I thought season started last winter when it was time again to start getting into sheep shape.
    LOL ya!! I think mine started when I got the draw results!