Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackies

Default Blackies

Has anyone seen any real movement? Ive seen one thread with a bear being taken but thats about it. Was just wondering if anyone has seen them out and about. I spent several hours on my ridge the other day and only saw lots of moose. Very little evidence of bears moving around. Just curious if its my area or if everyone is experiencing the same.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I just got back from Cordova, my buddy and I both took black bear after a week of hunting. Saw 4 on slides and 2 on the beach, along with a brownie sow and cubs on the beach. In the Cordova area a late spring has halted things a bit, as we didn't see as many this trip as previous trips this time of year. Good luck

Couple bears were roaming around in 14 a week and a half ago while i was out. Couldn't get close enough with the recurve, but a compound bow woulda done it.

There was fresh black bear scat Monday night on the hiking trail up Basher road.

I talked to a trooper last Sunday and he told me some bears were being taken. He told me he has seen some in his travels and that they were moving but they were not real active yet.

Lots of great tracking snow out there now... should be able to find some sign!

Sow with cubs was seen on the road in No. Kenai......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I saw a 5' blackie north of Petersville Rd. 2 weeks ago as I was riding snowmachine.

I got a smallish one on the 8th. Made some excellent summer sausage and peppered snack sticks! Saw 4 in a matter of 2 hrs. Went out even earlier than that and saw 2.

Well maybe Im just looking in the wrong spots. Guess its time to re-evaluate. I wont be able to make good use of the snow since I cant get out again until next weekend. Oh well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Well maybe Im just looking in the wrong spots. Guess its time to re-evaluate. I wont be able to make good use of the snow since I cant get out again until next weekend. Oh well.
    Don't worry, it's still early......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

great job I'm going over to cordova next week. any suggestion's on where to go?

Just got back home lujons 10 year old boy just smacked his first bear! 175 yard shot on a bruiser of a blackie.Squared 6'9" not bad for a first bear!

Put a couple stalks on this year but havent connected. They are out but dont seem to be venturing real far just yet.

Went out this morning to do some tracking but ended up being stalked by a blackie. My son and I were returning from our hike, had to bushwack away from our original trail to get around a broken stream crossing and when we got back to our original trail we found that tracks that indicated a black bear had been following us for quite a while. The bear was probably no more than 5 minutes behind us. I had my .44 mag and probably could have gone after it but I still have a couple of weeks of hunting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I plan to head out in the morning to do some scouting/hunting. I have a gut feeling that there are a bunch around. Now that I've jinxed myself....
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I went out with a buddy on the 10th in kachemak bay. We saw 8 bears in two days, mostly up high on the hillsides. Nothing is really green yet. I imagine within a week they will be much more active. We got a 6' square bear and he still has fur under his toes, so he was really fresh out of the den.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Just got back home lujons 10 year old boy just smacked his first bear! 175 yard shot on a bruiser of a blackie.Squared 6'9" not bad for a first bear!
    Awesome! That's a huge blackie! I'm glad people are starting to connect. I put the stalk on a nice bear yesterday but the wind shifted on me halfway up the mountain and he took off.

We saw one on the hillside today, and one on the KP yesterday.

a Soldier from my company took a small blackie yesterday here in the matsu valley.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast