Thread: Copper River Conditions (Are we ice free?)

Default Copper River Conditions (Are we ice free?)

Just wondering if the ice has gone out yet? Last year at this time the counter was going in. I am going to take a guess and say no.

Yes the Copper is open...Friend of mine went to put a fish wheel in on Tuesday but didn't put it in due to the massive icebergs flowing by...

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/products/f...uct=SRAK48PACR

COPPER RIVER... THE GAKONA AND GULKANA RIVERS ARE MOSTLY OPEN NEAR
    THEIR CONFLUENCE WITH THE COPPER RIVER. THE COPPER RIVER IS REPORTED
    TO HAVE SOME OPEN LEADS HOWEVER A LOT OF ICE STILL REMAINS IN THE
    CHANNEL ABOVE COPPER CENTER AND ICE CONDITIONS ON THE COPPER RIVERARE
    UNKNOWN DOWNRIVER FROM CHITINA.

Default Melting fast

fyi

Exclamation Flood Advisory

The national weather service in anchorage has extended the
    * flood advisory for the gulkana river from paxson lake to the richardson highway bridge.
    * until 600 pm akdt wednesday
    * at 1209 pm akdt water levels remain high along the gulkana river from paxson lake to the richardson highway bridge. Waters levels rose again overnight and the boat launch parking area near the richardson highway bridge remains flooded. Increased snow melt due to warm temperatures along with ice remaining in portions of the upper gulkana river will continue to cause some minor flooding of low lying areas through wednesday afternoon.
    Precautionary/preparedness actions...
    People living or recreating on the gulkana river should take precautions and be aware of potential ice runs and rapid water level increases. &&

Exclamation Current Chitina Eyewitness News

...this just in from "The One Who Really Knows":

...here is really what is happening:

• no one has fished - this includes those of us federally qualified as first too much ice and now too much water.
    • More than half of the fish wheels by the bridge have floated away and/or have been destroyed; the other half are in very grave danger.
    • The water is screaming high - higher than anyone has ever seen it; the water is eating away the bank and fish wheels that were not even close to the water have been washed away.
    • Was almost 80 here yesterday and suppose to be like this for at least a week can only image what is to come.
    • Eyak showed up a couple days before flooding started so really doubt they had time to get wheels in and if they did hopefully pulled them out before they caught other wheels and garbage.
    • No fish are going to swim through the debris field and flood.

What I am telling you is that opening weekend for subsistence will be deadly for anyone that thinks they can come here and dipnet out of a boat.

Latest wheel fatalities- 4 were free floating below the bridge at the 7:30pm check and others 3 had been "secured"
    Much gratitude, as always, Secret Source.

Evening Update:

Two more fish wheels ripped loose and tangled up below the bridge.
    Eight remaining wheels hanging on for dear life.
    Two travel trailers above the bridge with water to their axles.

Source: Reliable Local Eyewitness Secret Source

Earliest opener will be the 10th now. New recording on the hotline. We changed our plans for a trip down on the 7th, and now we'll be headed down on the 13th'ish. Gonna be a slug of 'em coming through any time. Can't wait to get the nets wet!

ooh we need some carnage pics!

I would not count on any good early fishing. The commercial catch has already taken over 600,000 fish that were likely holding due to the late breakup. This is over 25% of the run.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    ooh we need some carnage pics!
    I agree! This 'super secret source' needs to send some photo evidence for our veiwing pleasure
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Request made

Well, I'm not a secret source but just came back from bear hunting (sun tanning) from down the Copper & counted 9 wheels below bridge. 1 was at Haley beach 4 days ago & who knows where now. There were 4 or 5 tangled together just below the bridge that were getting tangled up like a ball. Been running the river for 20 years & its the worst Ive ever seen.
    I will try & post pics today of what I saw.
    here are a couple. I thought I took more but was busy dodging trees coming down river. I'll check with my buddies for more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More Eyewitness Accounts

• Only 4 wheels left in place above the bridge - they don't look too bad.
    • River lower so worst may be past...still high and with new channels.
    • Chitina River is picking up.
    • Two dipnetters above the bridge this am...had to park by the highway due to high water

Thinking that bank has to be awfully unstable. Met a fellow last summer who almost lost it when the gravel bar he was standing on collapsed.