Thread: Who has owned & worked on a LAKE AMHIP ?

Default Who has owned & worked on a LAKE AMHIP ?

My little Cub is probably spending her last summer with me and I am exploring other aircraft for future use...

The constant problem of finding a lake dock or shore tie-down has made me think about an amphip again....

I have flown a couple Lake Buccaneers ( not that crazy about them, but they are OK) but I do not know how they are to own... Are they a maintenance nightmare ?
    Is the insurance sky high...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I was intending to ask about Lakes myself. I was wondering how they performed and held up to Alaska type operations. That is, how well do the landing gears hold up to rough Alaska airstrips, etc.

Amphibs are simply the bees knees.

I have worked on a bunch of them. Only flown in them a couple of times though. Pretty strait forward maintenance wise. I believe there is a place in Canada that specializes in them but that was 12-15 years ago. They are quirky. When you add power they nose over and when you pull the power back they nose up, but thats due to the engine up high and behind the seats. Fairly roomy inside and lots of cargo space in my opinion. Ask any questions you want and I will try to answer them.
    Adison
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Default Lake Amphib

Ron, Duncan, the CEO of GCI has owned one for years. I don't know if he still does, but if you could get in touch with him somehow, he could surely give you some insight into Lake Amphib ownership

Jeff from Colville Logistics in Palmer has one.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Colvi...61183647236399

I talked with 4 IA's so far and they are split on them. The two guys who did not like them really hated them for some reason.

Dean Rickerson is the most knowledgeable.

Quick story we were taking one from ANC to Sothern California, and as we entered LAX space they made us climb to 13,000 the controller kept giving us crap for how slow we climbed. When we cleared LAX space and were cleared to 4,000 we pointed it straight down, and I do Mean straight down......... The Controller said are you OK. We advised that Alaskans get nose bleed at more than 2,000 AGL

They are poor performers. Underpowered and not fun to work on. Most up north end up wrecked... Need a large body of water to operate and stay close to sea level for max hp

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    They are poor performers. Underpowered and not fun to work on. Most up north end up wrecked... Need a large body of water to operate and stay close to sea level for max hp
    Co-owned N45B, one of the very earliest. A good idea, but a product that left much to be desired. The hull leaked like a sieve. Every water landing had to be made next to a suitable beach or a ramp of some sort, otherwise the little beast would have sunk in place.

Well I guess that rules out a lake Amphib...
    Plus my insurance agent is having a fit about insuring any amphib for giving instruction...

I thought it might be a way to beat the dock rent problem and the excessive corrosion from Beluga Lake.