Thread: redfield back-up peeps?

Default redfield back-up peeps?

An old friend in Whitehorse showed me a 9.3x62 custom carbine built off of a pre-64 Model 70. Attached to the rear flat surface of the rear scope base, was a back-up peep sight that pops up when you remove the scope.

I want one! Has anyone seen these around? Has anyone had to use one to shoot game?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    An old friend in Whitehorse showed me a 9.3x62 custom carbine built off of a pre-64 Model 70. Attached to the rear flat surface of the rear scope base, was a back-up peep sight that pops up when you remove the scope.

I want one! Has anyone seen these around? Has anyone had to use one to shoot game?
    Talley currently makes one- very slick looking... Can't see that it would be any different than shooting any other peep sight.

Brockman makes this one in a Talley base- http://www.midwayusa.com/product/780...ing-steel-blue
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default redfield peep on sight base

Those peep sites were avaliable - or perhaps standard - on the Redfield bases of the late 60s. I still have a number of bases with these sights on them - it is a pretty neat setup.

You should be able to find a base with the sight on it on EBay etc. and then move it to your base - they are held on with 2 small screw tapped into the rear end of the mount. Cheap solution and works well - it would be good product to market I would think.

If I get a chance I'll try to post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Yes, I saw that. Two small flat head screws and two holes drilled n tapped in the rear base, granted the rear base had sufficient height to accommodate the little sight.

If you have an extra, I'd be interested in buying one. All I need is the little sight along with the screws, though the screws really aren't needed if you don't have them.

On the back side of a weaver mount for a Savage 99, there is alot of material to work with, so a little back-up redfield would be a dandy addition. Drilling and tapping the two holes would be very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    You should be able to find a base with the sight on it on EBay etc. and then move it to your base - they are held on with 2 small screw tapped into the rear end of the mount. Cheap solution and works well - it would be good product to market I would think
    Last time I saw one on E-bay, I stopped bidding when it went over $80. It seems a lot of folks want one.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!