Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping in alaska

Default Shipping in alaska

Can I buy a gun off someone (alaskaslist) for example. And they ship it to me. And can it be done with long guns and handguns?
    or does it have to be an in person sale

Yes. They might have to take the weapon to a FFL and have them **** it to a FFL in your area. Thats the easiest answer. I have heard you can ship a weapon through UPS but have only done so to send one back for warranty work.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
    Can I buy a gun off someone (alaskaslist) for example. And they ship it to me. And can it be done with long guns and handguns?
    or does it have to be an in person sale
    You live in New Jersey and the law on firearms you can buy or own is with that State or the City you live in. It must be shipped to a FFL holder and then he/she does the paperwork just like you purchased from a local store. The shipper does not have to have a FFL to ship but he might have issues with the local UPS agent who does not understand the rules. Must be shipped Next Day Air, why? Because that;s the only way UPS can keep close tabs on the package, and B it keeps a UPS employee from stealing it!
    Retired guy with too many hobbies....
    Shooting, reloading, metal fab/home machine shop.
    VW TDI diesel, fishing, Prospecting, Trip to Alaska via RV
    Retired from commercial HVAC / Master Electrician

Privet party sales don’t need to be face to face in Alaska, you can buy a gun and have seller ship it to you in state but very seldom will the seller be willing to do it because most just assume it’s illegal. Only an FFL can mail a handgun USPS so they need FedEx/UPS which comes with a new long list of troubles to overcome.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Privet party sales don’t need to be face to face in Alaska, you can buy a gun and have seller ship it to you in state but very seldom will the seller be willing to do it because most just assume it’s illegal. Only an FFL can mail a handgun USPS so they need FedEx/UPS which comes with a new long list of troubles to overcome.
    Bingo!

I wish a sticky would be create with some of these questions and answers. I have had four buyers refuse to ship to me through ignorance, and three of them for stupidity. Only one, once educated by my sending him to the ATF website, directing him through the FAQ's, and explaining it through for him, shipped me the rifle I wanted.

If you buy a sidearm you have to send it "common carrier" which means one of the air cargo company's. This will usually run around $45.00.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

How do you verify the buyer is over 21 and a legal citizen of your state without a FTF sale? He could just be a visitor and using someone else's mailing address.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    You live in New Jersey and the law on firearms you can buy or own is with that State or the City you live in. It must be shipped to a FFL holder and then he/she does the paperwork just like you purchased from a local store. The shipper does not have to have a FFL to ship but he might have issues with the local UPS agent who does not understand the rules. Must be shipped Next Day Air, why? Because that;s the only way UPS can keep close tabs on the package, and B it keeps a UPS employee from stealing it!
    im transferring to ketchikan. I will be an active duty ( resident)

How do you verify the buyer is over 21 and a legal citizen of your state without a FTF sale? He could just be a visitor and using someone else's mailing address.
    Unless you’re an FFL or have prior knowledge they are prohibited there is no such legal burden on the seller to do any of that, it‘s the responsibility of the buyer not the seller. Even face to face a privet seller has no reliable way to check out anything the buyer tells you or shows you . . . So it‘s just like selling a car, buyer is responsible to have a drivers license and insurance but policing the buyer is not the privet sellers business.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

im transferring to ketchikan. I will be an active duty ( resident)
    Does simply transferring to a new duty station make you a resident, or do you have to submit a DD Form 2058 and comply with the residency requirements of the state first?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Does simply transferring to a new duty station make you a resident, or do you have to submit a DD Form 2058 and comply with the residency requirements of the state first?

Most FFL's I know/use will accept a copy of one's orders as proof of residency to purchase weapons requiring such information. I've seen a guy with a New York DL present a copy of his orders bringing him to Fort Richardson purchase a pistol. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I've seen it done on several occasions, regardless of the person's actual state of residency.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Unless you’re an FFL or have prior knowledge they are prohibited there is no such legal burden on the seller to do any of that, it‘s the responsibility of the buyer not the seller. Even face to face a privet seller has no reliable way to check out anything the buyer tells you or shows you . . . So it‘s just like selling a car, buyer is responsible to have a drivers license and insurance but policing the buyer is not the privet sellers business.
    The Seller in all cases is responsible for determining the buyer is legally able to own. ATF website FAQ> http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-...censed-persons
    I also ask for a photo ID as proof State residency, as State drivers license. Be aware the BATF sets up "Stings" from time to time to help curb illegal sales.

so lets say it is (legal) and i am a (resident) i was wondering about weather or not a firearm could be shipped from a private seller to private seller. longgun or pistol, and if so is it so much of a pain in the ***** that is would be a deal breaker for a private seller if i needed the gun shipped to ketch

so lets say it is (legal) and i am a (resident) i was wondering about weather or not a firearm could be shipped from a private seller to private seller. longgun or pistol, and if so is it so much of a pain in the ***** that is would be a deal breaker for a private seller if i needed the gun shipped to ketch

USPS will ship a long gun private to private, pistols must go through an FFL. Your best bet is to ship it as a private seller to an FFL and have the buyer pick it up from the FFL so the buyer pays the transfer fee and the FFL will do a NICS check. It'll cost you the same to ship it to the FFL, it'll cost your buyer an extra $10-$20, and you'll have peace of mind. If the buyer doesn't want to spend the minimal cost to have a check done prior to picking it up, there's usually a reason.

Thank you, So long guns yes. Pistols. Full dealer

That's what I've been told and done up here. It's always best to call and ask your intended shipped (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.), don't take the word of some random person on the Internet. That's how people go to jail.

The Seller in all cases is responsible for determining the buyer is legally able to own. ATF website FAQ> http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-...censed-persons
    I also ask for a photo ID as proof State residency, as State drivers license. Be aware the BATF sets up "Stings" from time to time to help curb illegal sales.
    From your own link:
    "A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law."

As I said seller has NO "DUTY" to police buyers for said reasonable cause, ain't your job. All you have to go on is what you know about buyer and what buyer tells you.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Most FFL's I know/use will accept a copy of one's orders as proof of residency to purchase weapons requiring such information. I've seen a guy with a New York DL present a copy of his orders bringing him to Fort Richardson purchase a pistol. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I've seen it done on several occasions, regardless of the person's actual state of residency.
    That is correct, the address on the orders is the residency address for purposes of a 4473, copy of orders and any government issued ID from anyplace is all it takes.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You are not required to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    USPS will ship a long gun private to private, pistols must go through an FFL. Your best bet is to ship it as a private seller to an FFL and have the buyer pick it up from the FFL so the buyer pays the transfer fee and the FFL will do a NICS check. It'll cost you the same to ship it to the FFL, it'll cost your buyer an extra $10-$20, and you'll have peace of mind. If the buyer doesn't want to spend the minimal cost to have a check done prior to picking it up, there's usually a reason.
    NO! if intrastate you ship via common carrier for sidearms.

Thank you, So long guns yes. Pistols. Full dealer
    Wrong. See above.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

The Link > http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-...censed-persons

The key to understanding what the ATF intends on private sales.
    Sale of firearms between private individuals. I think that understanding the intent of ATF FAQ link information lies in some assumptions. They are assuming you are complying with all the published Laws both federal and state.

Lets say you put an ad in the local shopper. “For sale AR15 with 500 rounds of Wolf FMJ, priced to sell at $1000 or OBO. Call 505-666.7777”

I get a phone call from a prospective buyer, and agree to meet him at Sportsman’s Warehouse parking lot to do the deal. I tell him bring cash, a photo ID as State Drivers license) and a copy of ID for my records. Tell him he must be 21 or older to purchase.

When he gets to the meeting place I examine his Drivers License to make sure he is a resident of the State and of legal age. Take the copy he gives me and the cash, he drives away with the gun and ammo.

My interpretation of the ATF FAQ is: I complied with the law in making sure he was of legal age and a resident of this State.

However IF he showed me a fake ID and gave me a copy of the fake ID I am covered under the Rules as I am under no obligation to verify his ID. as I assumed it was legal as it looked legit.

IF you just go by a verbal statement from the buyer he is of legal age and a resident of the State, Its your word against his (or the Feds) and what do you think a judge or jury would believe? Especially if the buyer was underage and took his new purchase to school??
    Not to mention what a civil trial awarding damages after a gun incident??

You have it wrong, wmgeorge. If a seller does not know, or have reason to believe that a person is prohibited, the sale is legal. Period. The seller has no duty to ask if the buyer is prohibited. The seller has no duty to see a drivers license. The seller has no duty to do a background check in any way, shape, or form.

Now... if during the transaction, the buyer says something alluding to the fact that they are a felon, or are underage, or are not a resident, or just got out of the loony bin... that would provide a reason for the seller to believe that the buyer may be prohibited, and the sale is no longer legal.

As a seller, you may want to get a copy of a buyer's drivers license because it makes you feel good about the sale. You may also want to get a DNA sample, or a copy of the buyer's family medical history, but there is no legal requirement to that, either. And, as a buyer, I would tell you that I won't hand over my personal information to a stranger. If you don't want to make the sale under my conditions, that's your prerogative. But, please stop pushing your personal requirements onto the legal transactions of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast