Thread: Nome Creek Valley

Default Nome Creek Valley

Is hunting allowed in the Nome Creek Valley off of US Creek Road at mile 57 on the Steese Highway? I just recently discovered this place, has some campgrounds and a lot of really nice views. A pal and I were cruising through and spotted a few cow moose out in the hills. Also saw some wolf tracks crossing the road in a few spots in the snow. I've read the regs and I can't find anything that restricts it, and the White Mountains Rec. Area is open to hunting, but I just wondered if the Valley that the road runs the length of would be open to hunting. Anybody? Thanks, schmidty

I beleive it is open to hunting following the regulations of the area. Nice area as well.

Would that be in 20B or 25C? The regs are very similar for both areas, but I don't like to go anywhere with out knowing exactly where I'm at. Thanks for the response. schmidty

Default GMU

It depends on how far in you go. Before they improved the road, there was a sign that let you know when you crossed into 25C...don't know if it is still there or not.
    It is an OK area for hunting, but very popular both with campers and hunters. Expect to have plenty of competition if you try to hunt there....especially at the beginning of caribou and moose season.

That is kind of what I figured. I wanted to find a place to just go out and look for some black bear, but I am not real familiar with the area and didn't want to be out on someones land. Are there any other roads that lead out into public lands in that neck of the woods? Thanks, schmidty

Have seen some nicely colored grizzly in there. I shot a cow caribou not too far from there quite a few years back. It is a real nice area, although some years it wasn't open until June.