Thread: Opinions

Default Opinions

So a few questions for those who shoot 3d and also those that don't..
    For those that do.. What do you like about the shoots here( mainly anchorage/ valley area) what do you not like about them. Would you like to see more of them. Are they challenging enough.i am sure I will have more questions as I think of them.. For this that don't shoot what would it take to get you to come out. All opinions welcomed.
    Dave

I have had a good time at any of them I have went to. I never was in them to win but for the fun of flinging some arrows. I have enjoyed the company of the people at the shoots. And most of the time I get to meet and shoot with some new people every shoot. Some of the shoots are more challenging than others. I like them to be challenging but I don't think that they need to be made so challenging that they discourage people from coming back. The main thing for me is to be able to shoot some arrows and meet some new people.

Well, since you asked. I will leave the shoot un-named. I attended a shoot once when I first came to Alaska 7 years ago. Hoping to meet some Alaskan shooters I milled around the practice butts for a while and not one swinging string carrier said hello. I walked over to a table and introduced myself to a group and got the "Uh...Ok" look. I shot a round and found one guy by himself and we decide to shoot together to keep from slowing down the groups. I left disappointed. Thinking I must have hit a bad day I came back again with two of my three daughters. I arrive at 11:00am for a shoot that was advertised to run from 10:00am - 4:00pm. As I'm pulling my daughters bows out of the truck this fat old guy with an apron walks up and says "You don't have enough time to shoot through." "You should have come an hour ago." "We'll be taking the targets down soon." I looked at my daughters long faces and couldn't believe what I had just heard. I haven't been back. I was the president of a local club and on the board of the state bowhunting club before moving to Alaska. I've set 3D targets in the rain and taken them down in the dark. I can say with certainty that if someone new pulled up to the shoot he or she would have been greeted by several, maybe even courted for club membership. I can guarantee no one would have pulled a target until the kids were tired of shooting. Nuff said. I won't go back. If you're thinking about setting up a range Bear then be sure to put out some "easy" stakes for us "challenged shooters".

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    Well, since you asked. I will leave the shoot un-named. I attended a shoot once when I first came to Alaska 7 years ago. Hoping to meet some Alaskan shooters I milled around the practice butts for a while and not one swinging string carrier said hello. I walked over to a table and introduced myself to a group and got the "Uh...Ok" look. I shot a round and found one guy by himself and we decide to shoot together to keep from slowing down the groups. I left disappointed. Thinking I must have hit a bad day I came back again with two of my three daughters. I arrive at 11:00am for a shoot that was advertised to run from 10:00am - 4:00pm. As I'm pulling my daughters bows out of the truck this fat old guy with an apron walks up and says "You don't have enough time to shoot through." "You should have come an hour ago." "We'll be taking the targets down soon." I looked at my daughters long faces and couldn't believe what I had just heard. I haven't been back. I was the president of a local club and on the board of the state bowhunting club before moving to Alaska. I've set 3D targets in the rain and taken them down in the dark. I can say with certainty that if someone new pulled up to the shoot he or she would have been greeted by several, maybe even courted for club membership. I can guarantee no one would have pulled a target until the kids were tired of shooting. Nuff said. I won't go back. If you're thinking about setting up a range Bear then be sure to put out some "easy" stakes for us "challenged shooters".
    You come shoot with me any day and your experience will be different. I do hear you and I am thankful for the your input. I am not really putti g on a shoot just yet but who knows. I think we drop the ball up here quite a bit meani g we have all the diversity in shooters yet the complete lack of shooting for ALL. When I used to shoot I shot all over the country and when I came up here and rebuilt a certain club I tried to do so with all groups involved and make archery inviting to everyone. I have seen the division up here and find it crazy. I just recently decided to take up shooting again and started shooting at the SW shoots out in Wasilla and man they are fun but next week is the last one and the only upcoming one besides this weekend is at Kincaid and that's pretty sad. My fondest days of shooting are going ou on a Sunday to a relaxing shoot. I like the shoots where you don't have a set start time just a between time to start and like you said they ended when everyone was done. That's how we did it for a while down on the Kenai. I would love to see a club step up but without participation it's a moot point. Kind of why the questions of how to get more folks involved. There is no reason 3ds can't be set up for more then one user group including kids. ... I know cause Ive done it. Oh and the only thing "challanged" about your shooting was how to get your moose out in that avatar of yours...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    All opinions welcomed.
    LOL... get ready... and HOLD ON!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL... get ready... and HOLD ON!
    I ain't scared Vince ...lol.

I would say date and times are the reasons I can't attend. Weekend shoots I think would be easier for more people to attend.

I went to alot of shoot,s when i was young.It a good place to hone your skills as a bow hunter.You can enjoy these at the level you want to.What a great place to enjoy time with your family.I have been into archery for almost 40 yrs and it never gets old it is such a challenging way to pursue game animals.It is a great sport to get kids into.If you decide to pursue this let me know i would be willing to help any way i can.
    Matt

I'm with ya Bear. Here's an idea. If you can't join'em then beat'em. How about a reoccurring stump shoot. It's cheaper, less stressful, same fun or even more so I think. In my opinion it's the best way to practice for real life hunting situations anyway. For those with "expensive arrow worry" just make up a few stumpers by sliding about 3" of 2117 over the business end of your 5/16" carbons and glue it with Gorilla glue. Do the same with about a half inch on the nock end and you'll have some serious stumpers. Could probably come up with a trophy for the winner with a little imagination.

When I first got into Archery I personally found shooting a piece of paper at 20 yards was very boring. The late Fletcher's Archery Shop had a 3D range behind the shop with about 20 targets, and I found this a lot more fun for me. Many many times I was by myself, and since I enjoy the outdoors I don't need company to make me happy. I have gone to many 3D events, usually by myself, and have never had a problem meeting folks. I have just jumped in with a small group and have always been welcomed, but frequently I have to make the move. I too do not go "to win" in the traditional sense...rather to me a win is to hit every target. I go for the variety of shots, distances, and mother nature's curves. It makes me a better hunter, period. When my scedule allows I will go to any 3D shoot I can and I don't care if I shoot alone or with a group of 6 as it is all about improving my skills...if I go with another group I try to learn from their successes and failures.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

If I may throw in some lower 48 perspective: For 20+ yrs(before all of our kids arrived on scene), a couple of friends and I were straight up 3D junkies. We were not major competition guys. just out there with only our hunting gear making sure we could kill sh*t quickly. Best practice there is for archers looking to hone their skills. Although we did shoot weeknights here and there, the big game was Sundays.

Some things that made the shoots very successful: all day events to maximize attendance; food to maximize socializing; novelty shoots to maximize fun, fund raising, laughter and lost arrows; and scheduling. I am lucky enough to have over a dozen clubs that have quality shoots within a 90 minute drive. These clubs made an effort to schedule their big shoots on different weekends so we rarely missed a biggie. Also for the little ones or beginners, most of the shoots had a second, closer target at each pin(to minimize arrow loss expense for Dad).

One of my favorite shoots was called the Ironman. The last target was downhill and out of a 20ft tower. The target was a 1" thick steel plate in the shape of a deer. The cut out, 2" 12-ring hole was the only way your arrow survived. We used to call the area in front of it "the graveyard". By the end of the day, it was a big pile of smashed up carbon and aluminum. Funniest thing was watching guys blow up a dozen real expensive arrows trying to sneak one through that hole. I saw lots of empty hip quivers rolling toward the parking lot at that shoot. Damm good stuff!

For those of you that have never, hook up with a couple dudes that wanna shoot regularly and get after it. Don't get your feelings hurt the first couple times you go, as shooting up hill, down hill and through trees at unknown distances is much different than drilling a paper target at 20yds. Forget about the score card and know that ur gonna lose some arrows. After a handful of shoots, you will see a noticible difference in ur killing proficiency.

Forgot to mention in my previous post: Hospitality by the hosting club would be a minimum standard.

Pa 5-0 you are right about where you live you are fortunate I know cause I bet I have shot at everyone of those clubs you mentioned including the ironman... didnt they also have the alligator in the lake or was that a different shoot.. Funny thing is we had a shot planned for the kenai club that was based on that alligator shot but I moved and someone else took over the club and not much has changed.. I was and still am dissappointed at some of the clubs here and think they can do better but its kind of double edged... clubs need shooters and shooters need shoots.. I think the trick is to get folks to show up and then make them want to come back.. Its tough up here cause everyone is so busy in the summer but I still think it can be done.. When we revamped the kenai club and had the modern 4th of july shoot it was designed to be challanging but inviting for all groups.. The compound unlimited guys like the challenging long shots and I added angles for difficulty, the traditional guys liked the more realistic shots of hunkering down or shooting around brush and such..kids had thier own stakes... I think if some new guys would show up that they would have fun.. Its great fun for the family to.. Good conversation fellows and thanks for the input...

I used to drive down for some shoots. I have to admit they're much better than fairbanks shoots!

I will agree stuck in their ways is a good way of saying it. At least up here. My experience was different I knew people in the group I was shooting with.

Doesn't the anchorage gang only shoot in winters still? I went to one summer gig down there. The gang up here is to soft to toy around outside for 8 months!

I will give my .02 on up here.

-Shoot times... Shot gun starts....seriously?everyones in a hurry and u loose a lot of participation.
    -Make the group a fun place to be u wont have to beg for memberships.
    -1 decent shoot is much better than 20 poor ones
    -mowed shooting lanes?
    -the last big bullet is lack of info. More often than not people didn't know the shoot existed. Non members don't know of the group!!!

I've got more but cannot hold the group responsible for individual ideals.

The pushy nature of membership drives, poor shoots, and lack of info has driven a decent club to the brink of extinction!

TradBow you hit two of my biggest pet peeves right out of the gate...shotgun starts and lack of info... Ya know when I started shooting on the Peninsula I heard there was a club but could not find anything any where on it. Now that I am up here in the valley and getting back into shooting there just doesnt seem to be too many 3d shoots but plenty of shooters.. They still do have the winter shoots but my understanding is that it costs 25$ and 15$ for kids and for a sunday shoot that seems a bit pricy.. My other issue is the division and how some clubs try to cater to one form or another and in a small community that is just plain rediculous.. Again shoots need to be family fun for all not just some.. Memberships are earned not forced.. When I would fork over coin to a club it was because I wanted to be part of that club because of the friendly members a funplace to shoot ect..ect..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Pa 5-0 you are right about where you live you are fortunate I know cause I bet I have shot at everyone of those clubs you mentioned including the ironman... didnt they also have the alligator in the lake or was that a different shoot.. Funny thing is we had a shot planned for the kenai club that was based on that alligator shot but I moved and someone else took over the club and not much has changed.. ...
    Yeah Dave, the gator was a cool one. There was another shot that was like 110yds at a 4" balloon taped on an elk's butt. Those crazy shots were the draw for a lot of people. This thread is drumming up some awesome memories of the shoots. I lost my main shooting buddy Kevin to cancer. He was only 47yrs old. It wasn't the same after that. But for years and years, I think I slept with my bow. When I think back to how dialed in we were with our shooting, I realize how not dialed in I am now. I am doing Iowa this November so I need to get cracking. Just got off the phone with my buddy Jimmy. We were laughing about past 3D Sundays and scheduling an upcoming shoot. Last thing he said was "I better go buy some arrows!!" Good shooting to ya!!

Well I'm 'glad' to see its not just an interior deal lol! I at one point was doing the newsletters for the club and 1/4 of it was just info on upcoming shoots/events. I finally gave up after spending waaaay to much time begging for anything to put in it and looking for better shoots or a couple more shoots. It looks like either this year or last they added a 'fun' shoot for all as I like to call them, open to everyone.

One thing you might try, is mailing 3x5 cards out to those who show up, get names address/emails. You could get names at the sports shows or on here I'm sure also, and advertise at SW and the local bow shops. Get a mass email list going would be easy, but alas not everyone has email and having a 3x5 on teh fridge works wonders. Lord knows I rarely read the paper anymore lol. I've been out of the loop for awhile now so I've lost most of my contacts down your way.

I dont get the stuck on shotgun starts. Other than having a posse for clean up. Its nice having a real trail to walk on and shoot off of, but shooting down lanes I might as well be in my back yard. the main trail does make it easier to get targets in and out. We give out awards at the banquet, almost like a tease to get you to come and get them. Leave an email address, last shooter goes through at X time, you can kinda figure when the last group should be about done. Those that stay can get awards..if not you can pick them up at the next 'fun' shoot, or the banquet your choice. Our banquets really NEED revamped up here!!!! Almost as much as the shoots if not more so!

lastly atleast up here...it would be nice to see the club go one direction and do it well. Old habits are hard to change, and trying to shoot every nfaa naa ibo blah blah blah shoot you can gets overwhelming and burns people out. They are fun for sure, but like has been said, summers are full bore wide open and these guys wont shoot once the snow flies.

I know that feeling well PA. Mine didnt pass to better hunting grounds, I moved 3000 miles away, he got married had kids and dissappeared. We'd hit up the shoots in MN/WI every weekend in his old chevy impala that reaked of exhaust and had 0 heat. Sitting in poplar trees at -30 and hearing them explode was hillarious, almost as much as thinking we'd actually see deer ha! Watching my partner on the verge of hypothermia, drive that stinkin no heat exhaust impregnated car the hour home wasnt so fun. We didnt make it all the way back before we had to find the closest person we knew...christmas eve, an old girlfriends house and her hole family was there, you should have seen the looks on their faces LOL! Good times for sure!

I am relatively new to shooting bows. I would argue that the club in Fairbanks is very friendly. They let us shoot without family membership for about 1 month before we paid. We did pay daily rates. The guys and gals that do shoots up at ESRO Road on Thursdays are the best kind of people. Its not overly competitive but it can be competitive if that is what you want. We had an exceptional year last summer. I have heard that the winter league was good as well.
    We had a nonmember on his first shoot last year die of a heart attack during his first visit. The members did everything from shielding the guys kids from the situation to offering the best response that I have ever witnessed. Shooting continued the next week. We shot in honor of the guy.
    I would also put forward that the more time that you spend shooting 3D in a comfortable situation that the better you get. They will be starting soon and I will be there. You can get info on the league from Sportsman's Warehouse, Precision Archery or North Pole Archery. All three outfits support the shoots. Less about ego and more about developing practical proficiency that allow for ethical bowhunting.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Thomas,

Their is a bunch of great folks in the group for sure. if you havent already noted it, you'll start to learn of some fairly famous history in the group. Most are gone now but the relatives are still here.

That said, like myself they can be a tad stuck in their ways. This last year there's been a few changes. The added shoot is one I wish I was here for this spring. The changes to the shoots themselves havent happened, or atleast the simple ones I'd like to see. And the lack of info is still there. Its pretty humbling when at the annual banquet they are discussing what to do with funds should the group defect (last year). Having to do with lack of membership/attendents.