Thread: What's your favorite sheep recipe for your .300 weatherby

Default What's your favorite sheep recipe for your .300 weatherby

Just wondering what your favorite load for the .300 weatherby is for sheep. Just picked-up an m98 from 1957 in great mechanical shape and I plan on taking to the mountains with it this fall.

Honestly..I think your sheep load should be your everything load...and for me that is a 168 tsx out of my 700 wby. It's a hammer

200 grain noslers cause it was the first bullet I tried and they shot under moa so why try changing. I am having a new stock put on at the moment so that might change things but I hope not...

Try out 165-150 gr pick your poison, I have found nosler partitions do well on mule deer for long range but every gun likes its own bullet and powder I found h4831 to work very well with that range of weight

Thanks for the input. When I get back to town to the range I will go.

I am sure you will find one your gun likes.Try em all ist pretty fun developing a load... frustrating sometimes to... lol I actually wanted x bullets at first but accuracy is obviously the most important factor cause the best bullet in the world do do squat on a miss..

The new 210gr Nosler accubond long range bullet would be worth trying if the b.c. is true at .730! Mini cruise missile...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The new 210gr Nosler accubond long range bullet would be worth trying if the b.c. is true at .730! Mini cruise missile...
    That bullet over Retumbo would probably be a great combination. The case is so close to the RUM and Retumbo is a great powder in that application.

I am a fan of the 168 grain TTSX out of the WBY also. Solid bullet for handling the extra velocity.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

It sounds like the 210 Gr. Nosler Accubond would be a good do all AK round.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    That bullet over Retumbo would probably be a great combination. The case is so close to the RUM and Retumbo is a great powder in that application.
    I have heard good thing about retumbo, gonna have to try it out with these new 210's well if I ever find some again...lol

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I'm going to give RL25 a try first with that bullet in my 300 RUM. If I can get accuracy at 3100fps I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm going to give RL25 a try first with that bullet in my 300 RUM. If I can get accuracy at 3100fps I'll be happy.

I've used RL-25, IMR7828ssc and Retumbo, all with very good results with a variety of bullets. I've settled on Retumbo because it's a common powder for three rifles I'm currently loading for.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Only ONE good bullet weight for the 300 Weatherby, and thatsa 200 grain.

Out at 4 or 500 yards,it'll PASS up them lighter bullets. I would choose 200 grain Nosler Partition. That is, if the 300 Weatherby wasn't way too powerful for me. I'll stick to 7 mm.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That is, if the 300 Weatherby wasn't way too powerful for me. I'll stick to 7 mm.

SOTN
    Well Smitty I think of it like havein a big ole motor under the hood of my truck, ya donít got to use all that power less ya need it and it can be nice to have sometimes. But then your 7wby (or your 7WM) ainít no wimpy thing ether and can get way on out there and kill critters just fine too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I also have a old 1963 Weatherby 300....I had Weatherby install a 26" No 2 barrel few years ago.
    My favorite load for Sheep/Caribou/Black Bear the 150gr Barnes TTSX and IMR 4350 powder.
    Alaska

Sheep aren't on the menu, but my Rem 700 likes 200 grain sierras behind a max load of RL17 doing just shy of 3100. Its going to be my deer and elk load, I think it would kill a sheep just fine.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

My favorite load in 300 WBY load is:

IMR 7828 @ 85.0
    180 Sierra Pro Hunter
    Hornady Brass
    CCI 250 Primer

3290 FPS
    Zero 4 inches High @ 100 yards and its only 19 inches low at 500 yards ..........excellent
    Alaska