Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barney's Brooks Range Jacket For A Sheep Hunt?

Default Barney's Brooks Range Jacket For A Sheep Hunt?

I've been considering the Barney's Brooks Range jacket for an upcoming sheep hunt. My question is, is the jacket worth the $270 price tag or is there an equal out there at a lower price?

Thanks

I definitely would like one but I don't care about color compared to price and I can find hooded mountain hardwear compressor jackets from sierratradingpost.com for $153 shipped to my door.

Deal code for an additional 20% off:
    Siteyeah513

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I definitely would like one but I don't care about color compared to price and I can find hooded mountain hardwear compressor jackets from sierratradingpost.com for $153 shipped to my door.

Deal code for an additional 20% off:
    Siteyeah513
    Good info, thanks Jon.

I would not pay that much either. Many good jackets for much less.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I would not pay that much either. Many good jackets for much less.
    Thanks.....

I've got both the MH Compressor and the Barney's and both are good jackets.

I'd take the Barney's any day though. It feels quite a bit more substantial than the MH- I just wish it had a permanently attached hood. My Compressor has had numerous repairs after only a couple of years- which is the main reason I looked to replace it with something more durable. The MH is a lighter jacket but it really shows with age.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've got both the MH Compressor and the Barney's and both are good jackets.

I'd take the Barney's any day though. It feels quite a bit more substantial than the MH- I just wish it had a permanently attached hood. My Compressor has had numerous repairs after only a couple of years- which is the main reason I looked to replace it with something more durable. The MH is a lighter jacket but it really shows with age.

thanks hodgeman

Not sure how much jacket you really need while sheep hunting. If it is windy and cold, a rain jacket over your layered clothes pretty much does it. Walking with a warm jacket just makes me sweat and the jacket ends up being soaked. I got a compressor jacket for under $100 from Sierra. It compacts super small and will be nice to carry along for the added warmth. I tend to not carry too much for clothes as most are not needed and just take up space in the pack.

I would spend the extra $$ on better optics, boots, etc. After many years of sheep hunting, I have began to see that all this high priced clothing is nice, but really is not needed. You can find good clothing on sale that is just as good. I know I have "wasted" $$ on Sitka gear that doesn't make one bit of difference with me getting a sheep or not.

Thanks, I was actually looking earlier today at compressor jackets and might be considering going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Not sure how much jacket you really need while sheep hunting. If it is windy and cold, a rain jacket over your layered clothes pretty much does it. Walking with a warm jacket just makes me sweat and the jacket ends up being soaked. I got a compressor jacket for under $100 from Sierra. It compacts super small and will be nice to carry along for the added warmth. I tend to not carry too much for clothes as most are not needed and just take up space in the pack.

I would spend the extra $$ on better optics, boots, etc. After many years of sheep hunting, I have began to see that all this high priced clothing is nice, but really is not needed. You can find good clothing on sale that is just as good. I know I have "wasted" $$ on Sitka gear that doesn't make one bit of difference with me getting a sheep or not.

I don't wear my puffy like a normal coat. I wear it glassing and cooking oatmeal in the morning and possibly at bed though I usually go straight from gear to bag.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I don't wear my puffy like a normal coat. I wear it glassing and cooking oatmeal in the morning and possibly at bed though I usually go straight from gear to bag.
    That's about how I was planning on using the jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    New deal flyer email just arrived!

Mountain Hardwear Hooded Compressor Jacket - Insulated (For Men)
    $174.95 Compare at $250.00 Save 30%
    Hide coupon details
    ends 05/18/13 at 11:59PM (MT)
    With your DealFlyer coupon, you save an extra 35% on the highest-priced eligible item in your cart:
    Your price: $113.72

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Exactly. As small as it compresses to, makes it worthwhile to have along on a brisk morning or evening or when your just sitting around spotting. Have never needed a whole lot when climbing!

Wild Things Gear keeps improving the types of clothing they offer, both for Mountaineering and Tactical. I bought a hooded puffy coat of their last year that was an older style they no longer produced and were unloading the last of the stock. Decent jacket at a decent sale price. See how it works out this next season. This spring around down it was awesome.

Now Wild Things Gear has a Custome Design feature where you can choose one of three styles of clothing and then have it improved to meet your needs. If you are thinking of spending over $200 or $250 on a jacket why not get it custom built rather than off the shelf. Just a few weeks ago they only offered one jacket to be custom made.

Here is a link to their design it yourself puffy.
    http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wild-t...ht-jacket.html

I messed with their design process and came up with a full multicam jacket with 2oz Primaloft One and a hood for $261. Solid colors are less as is choosing other Primalofts. You can also get 4oz Primaloft to make a real puffy puffy.

Thanks Ray.

Thumbs up

The link for me above did not open. For $113 it would be hard to go wrong, even if you only got one season out of it, provided it did not fail in the field.

I have most of the stuff Barney's sells. I did buy the Koflach boots from them and wore them on one Goat hunt, but that was it as I prefer the German Meindls, not the Cabelas ones.

I also have the Brooks Range Jacket. Mine is an older one that is Gore Tex camo, I beleive they use Pertex which is lighter. But, as said above, that rips. I prefer the Gore Tex since it seems more durable. I paid about an extra $35 to have the hood. I beleive in having a hood and it should come with the jacket.

Given how many years that I have had the jacket and it goes on every hunt I go on and you will never be cold once you put it on. If it lasts that long, does it really matter that it costs more ? That is a personal decision. I think my Wife bought mine when the had a X Mas sale so at that time it may have been $200 + $35, plus shipping. It is a very good jacket and yes there are other alternatives out there, more now than there was when I bought my jacket.

thanks CZ...

Glad to help. Mountain Hardware is top quality kit, so hard to go wrong there. They make a Grey that would blend right in with the rocks. I hate black, my Mammut pants are black. They later came out with a Grey that Barney;s sells, but I did not buy another pair just to change colors, although I do like to have every advantage possible going for me.

Gee, for a $113 I am tempted to get one for myself.

King, if you hear about any Bear Guard jobs for Sept. I would like to come up and spend sometime.

Thanks, if I hear of anything will let you know.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast