Thread: Dr. John White, author of the Sustainable Salmon Policy, passes.

Default Dr. John White, author of the Sustainable Salmon Policy, passes.

For those that have been involved with the BOF for some time, John White of Bethel passed away yesterday. While he had been involved in a wide array of western Alaska fishery matters, he served on the BOF right before I was appointed to the Board (including as Chairman). Perhaps his most lasting achievement from his time on the Board was the creation of the Policy for the Management of Sustainable Salmon Fisheries.

There are, of course, many amusing stories to tell about John...like the time he used bread crumbs to lure ducks into the Board meeting room at the Lake Lucille Inn. I believe that was the same meeting when a broken pipe rained sewage down from the ceilings in the meeting room.

I am proud to have known him and called him my friend.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Condolences to his John's family and friends. Neat story on luring ducks into the meeting room Art, would have loved to have seen that!

Here's a great write-up from Dave Cannon of Aniak.
    http://napaimute.org/2013/05/24/alas...er-a-week-ago/
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson