Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Shotgun Through Canadian Customs

Default Getting a Shotgun Through Canadian Customs

Filling out the Canadian Form 909, for bringing a shotgun into Canada traveling and then to Alaska. I know the reason can't be for self defense but we are taking a fiberglass camping trailer and I don't feel safe just camping along the road. Rather be in a campground but there might be times when we are not. If I check the For Protection against Wildlife will that get me approved? Or check the Transporting?
    Lots of info on a search but nothing current.
    Retired guy with too many hobbies....
    Shooting, reloading, metal fab/home machine shop.
    VW TDI diesel, fishing, Prospecting, Trip to Alaska via RV
    Retired from commercial HVAC / Master Electrician

Only the Canadians can answer that for you. When I brought my 870 and 30-30 through in 2005 it was to move permanently so the transport option was a no brainier. They were far more concerned about handguns and handgun ammo when I was crossing the border. It will really depend on your intentions and how you articulate them to the border guard. I would only recommend that honesty is the best policy, in reality all those roads are fairly heavily traveled this time of year. I drove from Alaska to Montana in August last year without a gun and did not feel the need for one both Canadians and their wildlife are ridiculously friendly. Worry more about animals on the road than anything else.

I guess I was more concerned about bears than the two legged pests. We also plan to do some exploring and perhaps a little gold panning and fishing. A friend of my wife who once stated " I could never hurt a bear" changed her mind when one of Her Alaskan friends got mauled by a bear. Granted they were blueberry picking and should have known better, but it happened. I am not a active hunter, but have shot lots of guns and shotguns. I just want to know if I put "protection against wildlife" it might have a chance of being approved. Thanks for your reply!!!!

I traveled through Canada last summer on the way to Alaska. Carried my 308 Win bolt action with me. If you say that it for protection from wildlife, that is perfectly OK. All you have to do is let them inspect the gun at the border, and then pay a $25 Canadian fee that is good for 60 days. It was good for the return trip back through. What you have a problem with are pistols with short barrels, high capacity magazines, etc. Sporting rifles and shotguns are no problem. The following website should have all the info you need.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/trans-eng.htm

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I guess I was more concerned about bears than the two legged pests. We also plan to do some exploring and perhaps a little gold panning and fishing. A friend of my wife who once stated " I could never hurt a bear" changed her mind when one of Her Alaskan friends got mauled by a bear. Granted they were blueberry picking and should have known better, but it happened. I am not a active hunter, but have shot lots of guns and shotguns. I just want to know if I put "protection against wildlife" it might have a chance of being approved. Thanks for your reply!!!!
    Just curious... should have known better than what? We live in Alaska where we share space with animals as a matter of course.

I do not have a clue. But they were not expecting bear problems and something happened. Don't have any details other then my wife's friend has changed her mind about bears being just big. warm and fuzzy. Perhaps they got between mom and her cubs, don't know. We don't intend to cross path with any bears up close nor do I plan to shoot one, other than with a camera.

I just don't like being 50 miles from the nearest town and only thing between us and whatever is a 1/2" of fiberglass or an aluminum door.

I just don't like being 50 miles from the nearest town and only thing between us and whatever is a 1/2" of fiberglass or an aluminum door.
    I expect an awful lot of us here love being 50 miles from the nearest town and the only thing between us and whatever is a lot flimsier than that. The point is that people here pick berries every single year without being mauled. The Yukon government has a pretty good brochure on their website on staying safe in bear country and you might check that out - could help you be a little less worried.

By way of an anecdote, a friend told me about someone who'd always heard that if approached by a grizzly, play dead. So, the guy was out and saw a grizzly hundreds of yards away, and he hit the ground. The bear thought that was pretty weird and went over to inspect (the guy wasn't mauled, just sniffed). Doesn't hurt to learn something about what to expect and how to stay safe, esp. if you're thinking of toting a gun for safety.Attachment 70737

Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Perhaps you missed this We don't intend to cross path with any bears up close nor do I plan to shoot one, other than with a camera.

Perhaps you missed this We don't intend to cross path with any bears up close nor do I plan to shoot one, other than with a camera.
    From what you've posted it sounded like you're more worried about bears than you need to be. Sayak highlighted the sentence that raised eyebrows: "Granted they were blueberry picking and should have known better."

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    From what you've posted it sounded like you're more worried about bears than you need to be. Sayak highlighted the sentence that raised eyebrows: "Granted they were blueberry picking and should have known better."
    I am not worried but prepared. I am guessing you are not a gun owner. As I said before I have no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the mauling incident but it was a life changing event.

I'd wager mlshore owns a few guns.

Bears generally ain't out looking for a fight.....Tho' I hear them Canadian ones do like the taste of corn-fed tourists....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thanks for the help guys. Got a couple good answers. We will be up your way spending some money to help out the Alaskan economy. I promise not to shoot any of your bears!!! LOL.

FYI Do a Google for Black bear attacks in Alaska here is one eye opener > http://news.discovery.com/animals/zo...ica-110511.htm

FYI Do a Google for Black bear attacks in Alaska here is one eye opener > http://news.discovery.com/animals/zo...ica-110511.htm
    Not really that eye opening. Black bears are vastly underestimated, and many people, bless their heart, don't have the sense God gave a chicken.

If a black bear does not run away at first sight of you and stay running away, then kill it, because it is planning on eating you. This has been known and understood for many decades in CAN and AK.

Also keep in mind that black bears have a style of nictating membrane on their eyes. A bear that has been pepper sprayed a few times has learned to deal with the pepper and will not be bothered (from an old study from Canadian bowhunters about 20 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'd wager mlshore owns a few guns.
    Excellent bet, Mr Hippie. I generally tend to think that knowing what you're doing will keep you safer around bears than carrying a gun will, and that outsized worry about bears can cut into your fun.

BTW, in Canada you can pick up bear bangers, which are pretty good, but you can't bring them into the US (they're regulated as explosives, which is just stupid).

Yup many underestimate the blacks, far more likely to have a predatory encounter (the worst kind of encounter) with a black that a brown. But, the worst critter for making trouble with people in Alaska is also the one people don’t seem to fear at all . . . MOOSE, they can give ya a very bad day!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yup many underestimate the blacks, far more likely to have a predatory encounter (the worst kind of encounter) with a black that a brown. But, the worst critter for making trouble with people in Alaska is also the one people don’t seem to fear at all . . . MOOSE, they can give ya a very bad day!
    I still feel safer amongst bears, moose, etc. then I do driving to The Peninsula during tourist season.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I still feel safer amongst bears, moose, etc. then I do driving to The Peninsula during tourist season.
    Yup, I just don't do Seward Highway in summer at all if I can help it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Not really that eye opening. Black bears are vastly underestimated, and many people, bless their heart, don't have the sense God gave a chicken.

If a black bear does not run away at first sight of you and stay running away, then kill it, because it is planning on eating you. This has been known and understood for many decades in CAN and AK.

Also keep in mind that black bears have a style of nictating membrane on their eyes. A bear that has been pepper sprayed a few times has learned to deal with the pepper and will not be bothered (from an old study from Canadian bowhunters about 20 years ago).
    A point worth mentioning, four shore.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

In my experience, check the Transporting. I've been denied entry when stating for protection.

I found most of the border crossing rules are determined by the officer you are speaking with at the crossing
    I live by the border and go back and forth often.

The best response, I'm passing thru to Alaska.

And don't get wordy, just answer the questions, politely, and be on your way.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    There is a big difference between worry and wisdom. The problem isn't people worried about bears as much as it is people worried about controlling firearms so that they don't have to worry about crime (a true fantasy).

Bear trouble in Canada or Alaska can come at any time, it can be fatal, and it can come from unexpected bears. One never knows:

http://www.readersdigest.ca/magazine/rogue-bear-rampage

........Dave Webb, a 49-year-old businessman from Fairbanks, Alaska, had just arrived at the park when an exhausted man dripping blood from his temple ran up. "You've got to do something. There's a bear up there!" Hedingham panted, explaining what had happened. Webb nodded, raced back to his motor home and brought out two rifles -- a Winchester 30.30 and a Remington 2.23.
    To a young man standing nearby, he shouted, "Do you know how to use a gun?"

"That 30.30 I do," said Duane Eggebroten, 27. They loaded up and set off at a run down the boardwalk.
    Eggebroten arrived at the scene first. He heard low groans coming from below the boardwalk. The bear now had Van Der Velden propped against a log and was feeding on him. Eggebroten aimed carefully for the back of the bear's neck, then fired. The bear slumped down. Eggebroten knew it was dead, but he fired twice more to be sure.
    Up on the viewing platform, Bailey, still tending to McConnell and her son, heard the shots. All the pent-up tension and anger poured out of her. "Shoot it again!" she cried. "Shoot it again!".......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast