Thread: Everything has to go just right...

Default Everything has to go just right...

I just got back from a great hunt out of Ketchikan. I got invited down to chase some big old black bruins, and couldn't pass up the opportunity. I flew out on Thursday the 9th to meet up with the crew.

Jesse was already out there and had taken a masher a couple days earlier with his bow. Beau was on his way up from Ketchikan with his boat. We spent the afternoon jawing away and looking for bears. Beau arrived at last light, and we set out Friday morning searching for bears along the beach and in some meadows, but they just weren't moving around. The weather was great, sunny and 50 degrees. That night I saw two bears, one was a shooter, but he gave the slip through the forest before I could work into shooting position.

Saturday was fun exploring around the inlets and looking for bears, but again, it was very slow. With Sunday being my last day to hunt I was getting nervous that we wouldn't even get a good chance at a bear. Heading back to camp that night, we saw a little bear close to camp, and watched as he ambled off down the beach. We put several miles on foot up some logging roads and saw lots of sign, but no bears.

Sunday at 10am it was like a switch was flipped. The bears started popping up everywhere. We were sitting on the edge of the forest looking over a meadow with a ton of bear sign around us. The first bear we saw was a smaller guy, but it was a good sign. As we were sitting back watching the meadow, a big boar jumped in the creek about 10 yards away from us and swam to the other side. He looked like a beaver swimming, and we couldn't tell if he was a big boar or not. He came out on a gravel bar at 40 yards and looked like a wet lab just out of the water. Soon he wandered up to the other shore and we started to realize he was a brute. He wandered down the other shore, so we followed him along the creek. It narrowed where we were going, so there was a good chance I'd get a 30 yard shot across the creek.

A couple hundred yards down we started filming. The bear didn't know we were there, but the wind had us nervous and we were wondering if he'd come back over to our side. Sure enough he did on a partially submerged tree, and when he popped up on the bank at 5 yards, I drew my bow and had to wait in an awkward position too long. I let down, and the bear started towards us, then turned broadside. I drew back again and the arrow somehow ended up under my rest. I tried to flick it up with my grip hand, but it popped off the string. Panic mode ensued, and I quickly re-nocked the arrow and Jesse huffed at the bear. He stopped broadside for another second, but slowly disappeared into the woods. As disappointing as it was, I had a smile on my face because that was a cool stalk on a big bear, and we got some great footage out of it.

We saw another 11 bears that day, but only 1 as big as the bruin that I stalked earlier. I put a sneak on a couple other bears that we couldn't tell if they were shooters or not. I could have brought home a bear, but I was focused on getting something with a big noggin as I'd like to get a shoulder mount of a bulky headed boar. Beau and I took the boat back to Ketchikan on Sunday afternoon, and I flew back to Fairbanks on Monday. Can't wait to get back down there and spend a little longer to try and bag one of those big guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHr6379bM-c
    [utube]pHr6379bM-c[/utube]

Awesome bear. Bummer you didn't get the shot. My partner and I call that all 9's for everything has to go right 999 out of a thousand times. Lol! That's bowhunting...Enjoyed the video ~ thx for sharing.

Congrats on your fine hunting trip and memories.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

What a pig of a bear!

Whisker buscuit.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

QAD Ultra Rest! Less issues if shooting in snow/freezing rain conditions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYbT6dBuhXM

Cool trip report. Even better that you knew what you wanted and didn't settle for less. Plus, now you have an excuse to get back there.

Def cool, but a big bummer! If I was in that position, I'd set the bow down and glocked it! But that's just me! Always fun tho, not about the kill anyways!

He was rubbed up high it looked like too. He had you guys pegged from before he hit the beach. Def a big ol' boy!

He did have some rubs on him, but nothing that would bother me too much. Jesse was saying that bear was just as big or slightly bigger than the bear he got, and his skull taped out a little over 20". Would love to break that 20" mark on a bear, so I'll take a few rubs if I have to.

As for the rest, I don't care for the whisker biscuits with the cold weather hunting I do. The QAD is okay, but I really like my trophy ridge. The problem is more than likely attributed to letting down and drawing back again in an awkward angle. Live and learn, I'll be practicing some of those scenario's more now that it has happened.

That bear was definitely on to something going on, but it didn't bother him. I think he's a pretty dominant boar in the area, so not much seemed to slow him down. Jesse huffing at him stopped him dead in his tracks when he was ready to bolt. Pretty effective trick.

Well now your just gonna have to add a big ol' SE Blackie onto your list of animals to obsess about. I enjoyed the footage thank you for putting it up. I look forward to archery hunting with Beau on Etolin this year. He's got great enthusiasm and is a really fun guy.

Better luck next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    He did have some rubs on him, but nothing that would bother me too much. Jesse was saying that bear was just as big or slightly bigger than the bear he got, and his skull taped out a little over 20". Would love to break that 20" mark on a bear, so I'll take a few rubs if I have to.

As for the rest, I don't care for the whisker biscuits with the cold weather hunting I do. The QAD is okay, but I really like my trophy ridge. The problem is more than likely attributed to letting down and drawing back again in an awkward angle. Live and learn, I'll be practicing some of those scenario's more now that it has happened.

That bear was definitely on to something going on, but it didn't bother him. I think he's a pretty dominant boar in the area, so not much seemed to slow him down. Jesse huffing at him stopped him dead in his tracks when he was ready to bolt. Pretty effective trick.

Ya breaking the 20" would be way awesome, even better with a bow!! I woulda took him too, or tried too, def not a bad rub. Yeah he's def the dominant boar. Atleast you got proof man! Going back down this spring or wait till next year?

Not sure when I'll get back down there. I was thinking of possibly trying to head down with my daughter in the fall of 2014 to try and get her a bear.

Beau was talking about the elk hunt this fall, didn't know it was you who drew the tag. I plan to start putting in for that one. He's good company out in the field.

Hey, it looks like spring down there! Nice looking bear footage, Jerry. Perhaps next time we will see footage of your daughter laying the smack down.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I would think that with that many bears around, you could have got in a tree and called one in......???

BTW....that was a nice bear. Just from that pic alone you can really see the mass in his shoulders.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!