Thread: Long Lake (Palmer)

Default Long Lake (Palmer)

Has anyone been out and checked the ice situation at long lake latley? Has it started to break away from the shoreline at all? It's often open by now but this has been a pretty late spring.

you are a couple weeks away from seeing open water

That's about what I thought. Thanks, saved me a little gas from Anchorage to go check it out myself.

The ice is just beginning to recede from the shoreline on Bradley and Kepler lakes next to the highway. Not enough to put a canoe in yet and navigate the shoreline outside of the sweeper brush.

Any updates or "first hand" information on Long Lake in Palmer or any of the other lakes in that area? Sure was hopeing to take my son and grandson out for a day trip with float tubes this Holiday weekend but this late spring thaw of the lakes does not sound promising. We're usually fishing Long lake by the 2nd week of May with some ice (25% of the lake) but not much.

Bradley Lake is completely open, but Kepler is still mostly covered in ice. I don't know about Long Lake. I was hiking the area last night, but did not go around Long Lake.

Long lake is still mostly covered in ice, I bet it will be out next week. Try canoe or Irene.

I haven't been to Canoe or Irene Lake for several years (just drove right by to Long) and heard there has been quite a bit of improvement to the access from the parking lot to the water. How much hassel would it be to drag (or hand roll on the trailer) a small drift boat to the water at Canoe? Is there still that old dock there? We used to catch lots of grayling in that lake...

From ice fishing trips this winter I would say it is possible but there is no dock on either of the two anymore. Canoe woudl be easier but I would be prepared for some work but that depends on how wide the drift boat is. But I think it could be done.

OK let's try this again. Does anyone have an recent reports on Long Lake in Palmer? Has the ice gone out yet. Seems like with the weather we have been having it should be about ready to fish.

havent stopped to look but all the lakes in that area that you can see from the road are completely free of ice and have been for the last few days maybe longer.

guessing they are flooded a bit? Heard Canoe was flooded last weekend...
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

The lakes are flooded?

Long was about 1/2 open Saturday. I would expect it to be completely open by now.