Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a DIY hunt in your opinion?

Default What is a DIY hunt in your opinion?

I was recently on a thread that mentioned a DIY hunt and I was wondering what constitutes a DIY hunt. To me a DIY hunt consists of a hunt where there are no commercial services used. If you are flown out with a charter service and dropped off in a remote location is this still a DIY hunt? Do you have to be alone? I don't think that being solo is the factor. I'm sure that everyone agrees that of you have a guide then of course it is not a Do It Yourself hunt. Of course the guys that have been on the 7 rams in 7 ranges quest are definitely in the DIY category.

I'm just curious as to what people think. Does it matter if you use a charter flight? Does it matter how many people are in your group? What about if you pay for scouting services or a drop camp? Was someone signaling you with hand signals from across the valley to get your moose?

So what does a DIY hunt mean to you?

To me it means you and your partners if any planned it all and paid for it. I don't think someone needs to walk to Alaska from say Florida to quailify for a DIY deer or moose hunt here. I too don't think asking questions here stops a hunt from being DIY.Better yet if you ain't paying a guide its probably DIY.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

A hunt that is planned and carried out on your own, without a guide. In my opinion, anything you do without a guide is a DIY hunt. I disagree that using commercial services disqualifies a hunt as being DIY. Without a transporter in some cases, how else am I going to get to where I'm going after sheep? How else am I getting to the south end of kodiak? And how's it different from me paying a taxi to take me somewhere and a guy flying his own plane?

Also, my hunt doesn't start until I'm on the ground. The plane ride doesn't affect the outcome of my hunt. So with that, saying my hunts aren't done by myself, because I used a plane or boat to get there is preposterous.

I agree with amigo and mossy. As long as no guide was involved and you planned the hunt yourself then it is a DIY hunt.

Okay. Thanks for the opinions. I only ask because about a year ago I read a book about DIY hunting and I don't recall the guy ever using a commercial service. So I guess I just had it in my mind that the true DIY hunt was without any commercial services. I guess there are different levels of this. I wouldn't think that somebody would have to walk to Alaska as Amigo said, but once here I had it in my mind that a true DIY hunt consisted of doing your own scouting, planning, travel, stalking, and of course getting your animal from the field by your own means. I guess the only part where you guys disagree is that commercial travel into the field is allowed. I can see that. I guess my way of thinking is a bit skewed.

Although I've always thought it was funny when I see adds for hunt planning that said "we will plan your DIY hunt". I've always seen that as a contradiction. Even Mossyhorn said that a DIY hunt is planned on your own, so I guess that just shows that people think of a DIY hunt in different ways.

Jeeeez people... I remember when we just went hunting and didn't need to qualify it with some stupid industry buzz word...

Wait.. I thought it meant Do it yourself...like..hire the guide..commercial services and you just went along to shoot the animal. You ended up paying for it all by doing it yourself... Sorry..had to.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Some of the B&B & fishing lodge type businesses on Prince of Wales Island put together a package providing room & board, even prepared meals, hwy vehicles and or boat (or any combo of that) and some even instruct on when, where & how to hunt. Sell the package as a DIY hunt. Even sell the package at game shows.

Interesting question. For the most part I would think it would involve doing all the planning and work yourself without the use of a guide. I guess there could be levels of DIY.. It's all hunting and just cause a guy hires a plane or hell even a guide doesn't or shouldn't take away from the hunt. Even guided hunters work as hard or in most cases harder then the a average DIY guys.. I guess it's all in what you want out of your hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Jeeeez people... I remember when we just went hunting and didn't need to qualify it with some stupid industry buzz word...
    Just what I was thinking. You guys are ridiculous. So many people in the hunting world are trying to qualify their hunt over one others. You guys are in hunting for social pride, the wrong reason. I do hire a transporter, I dont hire a guide. I dont hire a guide because I like the hunt and know my area, not just shooting. That's my preference. I classify this post as a "new age sheep hunter" post. Where these sheep hunters talk about how they love to sheep hunt, but dont kill bears in their sheep area because their too small. Cut me a break. Small bears kill sheep and moose too. I love to get trophy class animals, but any animal is a trophy. Not my 73" moose, 46" sheep, 200" whitetail, etc. My "small" animals are all the same to me. I went, I scouted, I researched, I outsmarted the animal; Thats a trophy. Get real, quit qualifying a hunt and just hunt.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    I went, I scouted, I researched, I outsmarted the animal; Thats a trophy. Get real, quit qualifying a hunt and just hunt.
    I have never heard of anything so ridiculous said on this forum before and it about time.
    It nice to know there is one person that know what hunting is all about.

+10

Wow, you people get way too offended so easily. It's amazing how some people on here are always offended. Stop being so dang dramatic. It's a simple question.

I can't remember who it is, but there is a member on AOD that has a subtext at the bottom of his posts that says "whoever looks for a reason to be offended will always be offended, even when the reason isn't there." I'm not sure if I got the quote right but you get the meaning.

The one that cracks me up is "Self Guided"...........I figure that could only mean someone with a Alaska Registered Guides License hunts for something.......Right.....???

For surely if you are providing guiding services even for yourself without a license you could be fined or sent to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Wow, you people get way too offended so easily. It's amazing how some people on here are always offended. Stop being so dang dramatic. It's a simple question.
    I don't think anyone is getting offended here, rather I think they just don't understand why the term needs to be defined. It seems that the only reason to quibble over what is or is not a true DIY hunt is to set oneself apart or to brag to some degree. Why does it matter? Again, it's not about being offended, but it seems to some that defining such a term takes the focus away from the hunt and puts the focus on the hunter (and the hunter's ego).

I provide a commercial consulting service to DIY hunters, some of which are long-time Alaska residents. You really only have two types of hunts; guided and unguided. The unguided hunts are Do-It-Yourself (DIY) hunts. My job as a consultant is to provide direct, interactive guidance that goes beyond printed material by allowing live questions and answers. I probably spend an average of 40-60 hours with each of the groups I work with. But my hunters all choose their own hunting areas, their own air charters, their own raft rental companies, their own satphone and camping equipment companies, etc. I take no commissions from any company I refer my hunters to. My philosophy is that I work for the hunters, not for the referred service providers or gear outfits.

All hunters receive guidance somewhere. Whether they read ADF&G's guidance materials, get it from books, videos or online resources, all of us research for our hunts. My service helps with that, but the hunters themselves do the legwork. I guess in the end it's only a question of how much help a person wants. I realize that not everyone wants or perhaps even needs a service like this. I have steered some away once I discovered that they probably didn't need me. I have helped many of them for free. At the same time I occasionally run into folks who think all they need is an air charter referral and a location. In some of those cases it was really clear that then needed a LOT more help than that. I helped one such group on a reduced-fee basis, and ended up spending more time on that hunt than with any of the others I did that year. I will never do it again; it was a nightmare, because the hunters thought they knew everything, they made mistakes I warned them about, and they were not happy in the end. I have worked with some groups that I actually refunded completely, after getting to know them well enough to realize that they really didn't need me. In such cases we parted on good terms and I remain as a resource for them if they need it, at no charge. Every group is different.

Alaska can be an expensive and complicated place to hunt. Nothing at all wrong with folks getting some help.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I would venture to say it's equivalent to beauty's being in the eye of the beholder. If you feel like the hunt you've accomplished is DIY, kudos. If you don't, that's fine, too - you still got out there and made it happen. There isn't, and shouldn't be, any set of guidelines which govern the DIY status of a hunt. I'm inclined to agree with Brian, in that the only reason one would seek such information is to elevate himself/herself above someone else whose hunt possesses fewer "DIY characteristics."

I think the only line capable of being drawn in the sand is with, or without, a guide. After that, the waters are murky. For discussion's sake, it's a valid topic; but, I don't think any particular set of rules are required. I'd think they would only serve to cause argument between parties with similar interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Alaska can be an expensive and complicated place to hunt. Nothing at all wrong with folks getting some help.

-Mike
    That must be a pretty rewarding job. It must be nice to see the people that you have helped get to have the hunt of a lifetime. Even though it sounds as if you have had some bad experiences, Ill bet the good ones have outweighed the bad by far.

The term "Do It Yourself" is a bit superfluous.... of course you're gonna do it yourself. Even guided- you still have to be there doing "It" in the first place. The question is how much help you've arranged. Hunting isn't like contracting where you can reduce your involvement to just writing a check.

Even without a guide- the knowledge, skills and patience if not direct material or physical support of a lot of people come into play.....right down to dear old Dad teaching me to shoot straight as a tot or my buddy helping me pack one out. No one got there by themselves.

I kinda have to agree- we're drawing distinctions where they just may not exist...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The term "Do It Yourself" is a bit superfluous.... of course you're gonna do it yourself. Even guided- you still have to be there doing "It" in the first place. The question is how much help you've arranged. Hunting isn't like contracting where you can reduce your involvement to just writing a check.

Even without a guide- the knowledge, skills and patience if not direct material or physical support of a lot of people come into play.....right down to dear old Dad teaching me to shoot straight as a tot or my buddy helping me pack one out. No one got there by themselves.

I kinda have to agree- we're drawing distinctions where they just may not exist...
    I agree in principle, however DIY is frequently used, especially in the hunting industry, to draw a distinction between guided and unguided hunting. From that perspective I think it has value. But like many things, it can be over-analyzed to the point of silliness.

In my case, for example, I work almost exclusively with DIY hunters. If someone wants a guided hunt I will give them a referral to a reputable service (again, no commissions involved), and with some of the guided hunters I also offer assistance. This is because not all guides spend a lot of time with their clients prior to the hunt, reviewing gear or other details. In many cases the hunters send in a check, get a gear list, and don't hear much at all until they show up in camp. I sometimes help fill the knowledge gap if the hunters want that.

Anyway I think the distinction is good, but clearly this thread proves that there are several different interpretations of its meaning.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Get real, quit qualifying a hunt and just hunt.
    Personally I don't think 907 was trying to "qualify" a hunt. And maybe you should have asked him first before assuming he was. I know that when I read the question I didn't even think about him "qualifying a hunt" at all until I read your post. Like he said, you hear the term thrown around quite a bit and I think it was a fair question without any "ego" implied.

I guess when I've read the term, I've always just felt that DIY pretty much means not relying on anybody else....somebody else's plane, boat, ATV, to get to an animal, kill it, and get back home. Like 907 said, the guys that killed 7 rams from 7 ranges, to me would be the the purest form of a DIY hunt. But, I guess if a guy is a pilot and owns a plane, if he flew it into an area, killed an animal, and few it back home, I would have to say that would still be HIS personal DIY hunt. No different than me when I started off by taking my boat to go kill a ram.

Simply put, to me DIY just means not guide or commercial services to the actual hunting area. Now in the case of Kodiak, then to take a commercial flight there and back, but once you landed in Kodiak, if you relied on no one after that to get your animal, then I would still think that would be a DIY hunt......big difference between a cub landing on a pothole in a game rich area, and a plane landing on an asphalt airstrip.

I could be wrong, but that's how I've always thought of a DIY hunt. Not that I've thought about it much at all, because if a friend with a plane asks me to go, you can bet I'll be there........DIY or not...!!!......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast