Thread: Grinder Advice

Default Grinder Advice

Hey Guys, I've been running the same small grinder (315 W) for a number of years and think this is the year I'll upgrade to a heavy duty model with a higher capacity hopper. Wondering what you guys are using for grinding your moose etc, and if you can recommend any specific brands/units. I don't want to have to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy it, but quality is important.

I bought a 1.5 hp grinder from cabelas. I love it. I have used it to grind up to 500 pounds of meat at a time when working with buddies to grind loads of meat. It has not let me down. We have tried 1hp stuff in the past and those are somewhat underpowered. I recommend at least the 1.5 hp model and jumping up to the 1.75 hp model is something to consider. The throat size on my grinder is a #32 and I would not recommend going any smaller than that or you have to waste too much time cutting down the size of meat chunks to be ground.

I have the Cabela's 1 3/4 horse with a no. 42 throat and it is a beast! It eats meet so fast it is not a big job any more to grind! It is awesome, cleaning it takes longer. Only issue I have had was chunks of meat don't need to be cut very small and a bullet made it into it by a unsuspecting rookie meat cutter I was doing a favor for. It broke the knife into 4 pieces like it should, did no other damage and has worked great since. They are spendy but my friends all have a different meat shop item and we all share, so my grinder gets a good amount of use! You won't be disappointed by it.

Thanks for the info, the 1.5 and 1 3/4 hp Cabela's grinders are actually the ones I've been looking closely at, so perfect to hear the field reports. The large throat size is what I'm after - I figure that can save me a ton of time on a big moose not having to cut the pieces so darn small. Man I got excited when I saw them on sale today at Cabela's, then realized the Canadian Cabela's apparently doesn't follow the lead .

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

remember the cabela's is LEM with their name on it. you can buy it cheaper at Sams club, and other outlets then you can cabela's

i use the # 32 1 hp.. for all my processing now.. at 720 lbs and hour.. the only slow part is ME> as i can only stuff about 350 lbs an hour

but as good as you can afford... i've bought a bunch of 100-300.00 ones and burned them all out..

LEM http://www.lemproducts.com/category/...-meat-grinders
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,

are you sure the cabelas grinders are made by lem? I looked at the lems and it does not look much like my cabelas grinder. I personally have no idea what manufacturer produces the cabelas model and I suppose they may have just changed the look since I bought mine?

I have a Cabelas 1.5 HP that was made by Weston, but it's an older one maybe 10 years. I needed a part recently and Cabelas couldn't help me and neither could Weston.

I've got a 3/4hp Cabelas commercial model. Not sure of the throat size.. That thing has torn through some meat. I can burn through a cooler or two, turn around and stuff sausage with it, and it keeps going strong..

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    I have a Cabelas 1.5 HP that was made by Weston, but it's an older one maybe 10 years. I needed a part recently and Cabelas couldn't help me and neither could Weston.
    Got the qoute from the switch mfg (Bremas America) yesterday $398.14 for the switch and $125 for shipping. Needless to say that's not going to happen, have to find another solution.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    Vince,

are you sure the cabelas grinders are made by lem? I looked at the lems and it does not look much like my cabelas grinder. I personally have no idea what manufacturer produces the cabelas model and I suppose they may have just changed the look since I bought mine?
    evrything with Cabelias name on it .. is made by another manufacture of similar product.. its a marketing deal.. my LEM #32 and my neighbors Cabelas #32 have the same part numbers on the plates, blades, and augers, and interchange correctly

the problem is.. that Cabelia models are often made in bulk runs, and newer designs are not kept up with. i have a vac sealer i cant get parts for now.. because Cabeles changed direction from the manufacture that made it. the products are good and sound...

but keeping them in the 10 year plan can get difficult.. where buying the name brand to begin with, will often lead to longer customer service. LEM has no need to service or carry parts for someone else'
    s name brand.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    evrything with Cabelias name on it .. is made by another manufacture of similar product.. its a marketing deal.. my LEM #32 and my neighbors Cabelas #32 have the same part numbers on the plates, blades, and augers, and interchange correctly

the problem is.. that Cabelia models are often made in bulk runs, and newer designs are not kept up with. i have a vac sealer i cant get parts for now.. because Cabeles changed direction from the manufacture that made it. the products are good and sound...

but keeping them in the 10 year plan can get difficult.. where buying the name brand to begin with, will often lead to longer customer service. LEM has no need to service or carry parts for someone else'
    s name brand.
    Thanks for the info Vince. I was not aware of that.

I would recommend a thunderbird grinder . Nice heavy duty , great for the do it your self home processing . Shane at Alaska food equipment stocks them and at a great price to .
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756