Thread: rock proof trim tabs for jet boat

Default rock proof trim tabs for jet boat

Attachment 70706there they are

Those look pretty sweet and up to the task of a rock or two. Curious how much the shock will travel as you set the tab lower in the water. Depending on how the boat is loaded one could have more force then the other. There is a lot of force on trim tabs in the water. What is the spring compression rate? Could always order stiffer springs if needed.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Im not sure about the specifics you can make the spring tighter im kinda hoping the water pressure forces them up once im on step my boat is so piwerful i got this huge wheely thing goin on when its just me in the boat hopefully these will orevent that then just move out of the way .

As for how much movement id say they will travel about 5 inches its suspension off a skidoo xp so its got some serious travel on them.

A new Skidoo spring is 90# or 120# for the stiffer ones. Those tabs may move up quiker then you think. If you porpoise or ride high bow high empty then your gonna want to have the tabs down while cruising to keep the bow down. One way to do that is to trim the motor. Not sure if you can adjust the motor so it is down another notch. This is where power tilt is nice.

I do like your idea and can't wait to hear how they work. I am sure the shock is to allow them to lift if you hit on something but if the springs are to soft and they won't stay down enough to be effective you could always swap the shock for a solid bar.

I will say one thing, the tabs themselfs are freaking solid! Good work

I have power trim on the motor its only when i take off i have the problem it rides nice when im on step i was gonna build pods but i hear thwy can make you cavitate im hopeing theyl get me onto step the the spring will compress while im cruzin around .

Load your boat bow heavy, including your fuel. That works pretty good along with trimming your motor all the way down. Trim tabs are a double edged sword. If you can avoid them, its best too. With the lift they give you they also give you drag. Just like flaps in a plane. See if you can adjust the motor to give you a nother notch of down trim.

Well i tested the boat today on the matanuska i adjusted the tabs slightly below level they made it 100% better . I have no skags on the bottom just uhmw so it was really slippery in the corners the tabs made it more stable and i can get on step in shallower water when im on step the spring loads up and they no longer drag under the boat THEY WORK PERFECT i cant believe it .

Glad to here they worked out.

KyleJohnson, That boat gets up and goes great. Glad you could make it for the run to the glacier yesterday.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859