Thread: Snow levels in Valdez, Talkeetna, and Homer and where would you camp?

Default Snow levels in Valdez, Talkeetna, and Homer and where would you camp?

Anyone know of the snow levels in these places? I was looking to take my family camping next week and would rather not be surrounded. Ive camped in Homer before and Love the fishing but my wife wants to try camping somewhere new. We have never been to Valdez and have stopped in Talkeetna a few times but never stayed. I would like somewhere with good camping and honestly the option to run after a black bear and/or brown bear would be awesome on the mornings everyone is sleeping in. Thanks for any info!

-Matt

Talkeetna is 1-3 ft in areas off the road system but there is a camp ground just before the big su bridge that has no snow if you are planning to camp in the sticks expect snow

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Roger thanks my wife wants a camp ground so that's not bad...

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I'm not sure what the snow levels are but I think you would have a good chance at a blackie by going to Valdez. Maybe somebody can chime in about a cleared campground in Valdez. There are plenty of campgrounds there. Plus from what I hear, the blackies are getting pretty active down that way.

If you have never been to Valdez it is one for the bucket list. It's a beautiful drive and you have a good chance of having a black bear cross the road in front of you between Glennallen and Valdez. If you can find a snow free campground then it would a great family trip.

Valdez still has several feet of snow on the ground around any northern exposures. Part of the Alison campground has visible dirt where they cleared snow from the drive over the winter. It's not "officially" open yet. The glacial area is still under snow. Stuff in "downtown" Valdez is pretty much open.

Not very much bear activity yet either. Again, lots of snow on the ground. Bears started popping out a couple weeks ago, but they haven't been very active or in the open. There are seemingly hundreds of hunters going out (mostly by boat) every day. Not hearing many success stories.

And I just have to say, driving the road between Glennallen and Valdez at least every other week for the last dozen years, I've never once had a black bear cross the road in front of me. You're likely to see moose on the northern half of that drive, but good luck ever seeing a bear from the road. Lots of porcupine and hares on the road.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    And I just have to say, driving the road between Glennallen and Valdez at least every other week for the last dozen years, I've never once had a black bear cross the road in front of me. You're likely to see moose on the northern half of that drive, but good luck ever seeing a bear from the road. Lots of porcupine and hares on the road.
    Are you serious? Thats where we have went in the past for bears. There are tons of them through there. I grew up in the Glennallen/Kenny Lake area and that area further South is loaded full of blackies. I have come close to hitting multiple bears on that trip. The Tonsina area and all around the pump station is thick with them. Then once you get past the falls on the Valdez side they are everywhere. Are you talking about the same Valdez that I am?