Thread: Fall hunt in Tanana Flats

Default Fall hunt in Tanana Flats

Howdy all,

I've searched to no avail, but- I'm looking for some recommendations for hunting in the Tanana Flats area. My father is flying in from Virginia this fall for either a moose, bear, or anything else he can get tags for. He has asked me to help him out with a few of the "local" things, but- apparently I've been a bad Alaskan. I've not been up there (been to Fairbanks once- currently live in Anchorage), and I have no clue about the area. The last time I went hunting was probably a good 15 years ago. He is a skilled hunter, I've got all the toys we could potentially need (atv/side by side/caming gear/etc) except a jon boat- which, I hear is good for that area.

Essentially, starting from ground up- *any* helpful information is greatly appreciated. Anything like, where to base out of, where to drive, equipment, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Jared

I'll bite....

use the search term "tanana flats; site: outdoorsdirectory.com" - remove the space between : and o - and you will get many hits for basic informaiton, hunt reports, and specific drawing tag result info. You can also look at a map and change out "tanana flats" with the name of a map feature and should get some more specific returns.

Your dad will be limited to a 50" and four brow tine bull moose with a harvest ticket and you will need to read the regulations for the unit to determine what NR restrictions there are. I recommend becoming real familiar with the small unit boundaries and then not hunting anywhere near them. A few feet to the wrong side of the line on the Troopers GPS can become real expensive.

For access, the easiest way is by boat from the Chena boat ramp. You will be with hundreds if not thousands of other local hunters. You can also launch in Nenana and head either way on the Tanana. The reality will be that you will need to make at least one exploration trip in the summer in order to not waste days of your dad's time up there. Unless he is planning on being here for the whole season.

The ATV will be limited to some trails from the Parks near Clear/Anderson and from the Richardson (but may need a boat to cross over). You will need to review the hunting regulations for both areas as they may have restrictions on NR hunters in controlled use areas or subunits of the main units.

There is the option to fly in to remote spots as well. Pick a lake. Call air service with planes on floats and ask them if that lake would work for a moose hunt. Don't pick a lake that has a bunch of State recreation cabin lots around it. You could also ask about a wheel plane and landing on a remote strip or river system in an area with NR harvest tags allowed.

Why not take him on a once in a lifetime dall sheep hunt in the Brooks? He can get a grizz as well with a second tag, and you only have to be standing next to him when he is hunting since you are his legal "guide". Might be too late to get air service spot, but you will not know unless you call.

Thanks Ray!