Thread: Bannana sinker and snagging hooks?

Default Bannana sinker and snagging hooks?

First off as many of you know I make a lot of fishing jigs for fresh and saltwater. I also make a lot of fishing weights from Halibut weights to surfcast sinkers.
    Reading the recent threads I had some questions.
    First off is bannana sinkers for mooching. I have the molds for these and was wondering what everbodys preference is for rigging these?
    The molds I have allow for me to add either a bead chain swivel or a crane swivel to either eye of the sinker before casting.
    What is your preffered set up on these sinkers? Beadchain on one end and crane swivel on the other? both ends with bead chain or both with crane swivels? Neither one added?

The other question is regarding snagging hooks like you would use fishing for reds in Seward. Is there a particular size and/or shape of snag hook you prefer to use? Please give your reasoning if any.
    There are several styles of snag hooks. My current mold is the little mac mold but I was contemplating buying the do-it mold for a different style. Does the style even make a difference?
    What size hook do you most commonly use? Does switching sizes effect your hooking percentages?
    I don't snag fish much but there was a time or two were I sure wished we had some with us. One time in Halibut Cove Lagoon after it had opened to snagging. Those kings wouldn't bite anything we threw. Snagging without a snagging hook is harder than it seems. Though the 4 of us landed 3 in 3 days. So I bought a mold to make some and now I need to use it.
    Anyway thanks for any advice you can give.
    Chris
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Reading the recent threads I had some questions.
    First off is bannana sinkers for mooching. I have the molds for these and was wondering what everbodys preference is for rigging these?
    The molds I have allow for me to add either a bead chain swivel or a crane swivel to either eye of the sinker before casting.
    What is your preffered set up on these sinkers? Beadchain on one end and crane swivel on the other? both ends with bead chain or both with crane swivels? Neither one added?
    I make mine with the bead chain on one end and the crane or barrel swivel on the other, as pictured on the upper right on this page. I'm casting and using 2 oz through 16 oz, and never had an issue. In fact, I'm beginning to prefer them to the true crescent or "banana" sinkers familiar to most folks.

Can't help you on the snaggers, other than to speculate the kind I'm using would track straighter in the water than crescents.

Banana sinkers are primarily for trolling and work quite well, I also use them to cast and let the bait fall through the water column on a slow retrieve.

I won't use them without at least one chain, preferably two.

Swivel or not on top with a bead chain on the bottom. I use a duo-lock snap or cross-lock snap on the bead chain for attaching to leaders. I like the 10-16oz. banana rigs for Halibut bait fishing....you can get away with a lot less weight if you streamline everything.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I would prefer bead chain on both ends for 1,2,3,4 oz. sinks for trolling. Not sure they would hold up on 16 oz. sinkers for halibut unless you get some heavy duty bead chain.

Thanks guys Iwas leaning towards the beadchain crane swivel combo. I will definetly make them up that way.
    I can make 1,1.5,2,3,4,5,and 6 oz sinkers so I will not be making any for butt fishing. Fortuntely I have enough halibut weight molds both cannonball and cod sinkers so I am OK there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    I would prefer bead chain on both ends for 1,2,3,4 oz. sinks for trolling. Not sure they would hold up on 16 oz. sinkers for halibut unless you get some heavy duty bead chain.
    I use 75# bead chain.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Which lil' mac snag mold do you have? I got the economy one and really like the design.

I don't claim to be an expert, but it seems the whole hook is open from point to shank vs the store bought ones where the lead is far up on the shank enough to interfere with the snagging.

Edit: Not sure that last sentence made sense...

The lil mac I have melts the lead pretty low on the hook. The store bought hooks I have, have the lead pretty far up the shank, not past the point, but pretty far compared to the lil mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    Which lil' mac snag mold do you have? I got the economy one and really like the design.

I don't claim to be an expert, but it seems the whole hook is open from point to shank vs the store bought ones where the lead is far up on the shank enough to interfere with the snagging.

Edit: Not sure that last sentence made sense...

The lil mac I have melts the lead pretty low on the hook. The store bought hooks I have, have the lead pretty far up the shank, not past the point, but pretty far compared to the lil mac.
    I have the same mold as you. The other style you describe can be made in the do-it snag hook mold.
    Thinking about it now what you are saying about more of the hook Gap being exposed makes sense.
    I really don't use the snag hooks much but there are times where they are usefull. I am going to make a few just to have on hand in the event I decide to use them somewhere or find myself heading somewhere they can be used.
    I think I only paid $13 for my mold plus shipping.