Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth gun I can still get ammo for?

Default Youth gun I can still get ammo for?

Got a ar for my kids and now I can't get ammo for it. So looking
    For a bolt gun that I can still get ammo for,
    Any ideas?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I am absolutely sold on the 7mm-08. We have two of them - a Model 7 Youth and a Model 700 Youth, and both of them shoot like a dream. Remington sells reduced recoil rounds for them, but with a decent recoil pad (which comes standard on the youth models), the full power rounds have barely any kick at all. So far my wife has taken three animals with three shots out of her rifle, and my nephew is one for one out of his shooting 140 grain Core-Lokt bullets. Ammo availability is good and they're relatively inexpensive rounds. In my experience, it's one of the best youth rounds out there. Heck, I'm probably going to get one for myself for sheep, caribou, deer, and black bear.

Same thing Brian said. My daughter 7-08 I worked up a load with 120gr Barnes TSX bullets and My wifes 7-08 I'm working on a load with 140 TSX I recently came into a bunch of 160gr accubonds so I been messing with them, I chronoed them and I was getting over 2500 F.P.S. I did pick up couple hundred 139 hornady GMX bullets the other day so will try them out as well.

I picked up 2 boxes of 7-08 Superformance 139grn GMX ammo for the kids lefty youth model savage.

It likes them pretty good.

i checked wallys for '08 ammo and they didn't have any...i'll check sw tomorrow.
    Master guide 212

sportsmans walmart and frontier in fairbanks has kept a steady of .22-250 and .22 hornet throughout all this madness. .243 has been hit or miss but alot more so than .223

i'm gonna go look tomorrow and see what they have a pile of. then maybe just buy the gun that goes with the bullets. i got a gun but can't get practice ammo for them to practice, i have 10 rounds of hunting ammo and don't wanna waste that on paper and fundamentals...i'll keep diggin'.
    Master guide 212

I have several .243 Winchester in single shot H&R they are new........and I was going to bury them........But

I think you have exposed my fear about ammo.........that the snot will "Really" hit the fan come fall and common center fire ammo is non-existent.

Don't forget about the good ole' Daisy BB gun.

I'll throw in another vote for the 7-08. My son loves his and it's accurate. We handload, so ammo comes from my press. I work at Sportsman's though, and just off the top of my head, 6.5X55 is on the shelf, doesn't sell very often and that's probably around the same power level as the 7-08 class. Rifles chambered for that caliber aren't very common though.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Now that your making the big slope money.........buy reloading equipment. Then get a 6.8 spc upper for the AR.
    Lujon, Doug, maybe Huntak, are shooting that cal.
    Sportsmans in Fbks has had 223 somewhat regularly. They ration it so it doesn't all sell in 5 minutes. Maybe the Valley SW does the same.
    SW here also has had 7mm-08 on the shelf when other cals are gone.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Now that your making the big slope money.........buy reloading equipment. Then get a 6.8 spc upper for the AR.
    Lujon, Doug, maybe Huntak, are shooting that cal.
    Sportsmans in Fbks has had 223 somewhat regularly. They ration it so it doesn't all sell in 5 minutes. Maybe the Valley SW does the same.
    SW here also has had 7mm-08 on the shelf when other cals are gone.
    Yes they do. 7-08 must not be as popular up there. I haven't seen much ammo for that caliber on the shelf down here. I don't recall any coming in on the trucks since I've been working there either.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

i got a raise?
    big slope money...thats funny. entry level slope work is alot less than i was making guiding....but more consistant and gives me time to even worry about ammo for my kids....
    my brother reloads i'll have to talk with him about it.
    Master guide 212

We have 7/08 ammo on the shelf right now as well as 243. My recommendation, because ammo is almost always available, cheap, is the plain old vanilla 270 Winchester. I probably have 30 boxes of 270 ammo on the shelf, good quality stuff, and it's less than 30 bucks a box. My wife shoots a 270 and loves it too death, she is somewhat recoil sensitive but it doesn't bother her too much, she shot a box and a half in an afternoon a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    We have 7/08 ammo on the shelf right now as well as 243. My recommendation, because ammo is almost always available, cheap, is the plain old vanilla 270 Winchester. I probably have 30 boxes of 270 ammo on the shelf, good quality stuff, and it's less than 30 bucks a box. My wife shoots a 270 and loves it too death, she is somewhat recoil sensitive but it doesn't bother her too much, she shot a box and a half in an afternoon a couple weeks ago.

YOUR wife.............when did this happen.............????

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Got a ar for my kids and now I can't get ammo for it. So looking
    For a bolt gun that I can still get ammo for,
    Any ideas?
    6.5x55. 'Nuff said.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i got a raise?
    big slope money...thats funny. entry level slope work is alot less than i was making guiding....but more consistant and gives me time to even worry about ammo for my kids....
    my brother reloads i'll have to talk with him about it.
    Well I hope the wife is working!
    There is some 6.8 stuff available on the internet. Brass, bullets. The 68forums equipment exchange has quite a bit of stuff for sale. If you can scrounge up some powder and primers (I've got lots of primers) you could be in business ammo wise. Also some decent deals on 6.8 uppers there regularly.
    Probably somewhat the same with the 7-08. Powder and primers will be the hard part. Finding loaded ammo in 6.8 in Ak. would be difficult I suspect.
    If you have fam or friends travelling down and back to lower 48, you can order ammo to someones house there and have the fam/friend bring it up.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    YOUR wife.............when did this happen.............????
    Back October time, don't worry though, she's a gun totin, bloodthirsty bear killin kinda woman. Not bad looking and cooks occasionally to boot, plus she puts up with me .

Lol ya she's working....on a budget!! Hard to get used to a consistent paycheck. Funny the things in life you never think about till your there. I'll look into the 6.5 and see what that's all about.
    Master guide 212

280 rem, 270,7-08, and 6.8SPC is all on the shelf. I have purchased 5 boxes of 7-08 in the last few weeks and another 5 of 6.8SPC hornady factory 120 SST along with 2 boxes of 280 rem all from valley shops. I have seen piles of 270 and a virtual mountain of 7 mag on the shelves. 325 WSM is looking like a good choice for the non hoarders though at $70/box or more perhaps not... Prices of 270,280,6.8, and 7-08 are all $21-32.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast