Thread: Best scope under $1,000 for .223 VTR

Default Best scope under $1,000 for .223 VTR

I picked up a new Remington VTR in .223, put a Harris bipod on it and a nice Buttle Creek sling. Now I'm wanting to top it with a scope for predator hunting. I've got my AR topped with a 3-9 Leupold so this is going to be my partners gun or a back up rifle. I'm thinking of a Minox 5-20, possible a Vortex but its also really hard to go wrong with a Leupold?

What would you get?

thanks

I'm sure you will get 100 different answers on this and there really is no correct answer. It's all about your personal preference. I probably do more predator hunting than 98% of most guys and I have a leupold on my predator rifle. I've had quite a few scopes on my predator rifle including Vortex and Nikons but you just can't beat a good old Leupold. I had the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 on it for awhile and then I had a 3-12x50 Nikon on it.

The Vortex is okay. The Nikon broke on me and wouldn't hold zero. I finally realized that I really didn't need a huge objective on my scope. I bought a simple Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 and I couldn't be happier. I went with the VX-2 so that I could order it with the CDS system. You can find them for around $400 and they are great scopes. If you are a predator hunter then you probably have a pet load and know your ballistics for that specific load, so it's great to have some kind of turret system. I like it. I did allot of killing with that rifle this year and I couldn't be happier with the scope. Some guys will tell you that you need to pull in more light with a larger objective or that you need more magnification, and at one time I thought like this as well, but I've never found myself wanting it lately. I like the low profile of the smaller objective. When I'm riding my sled and my rifle is on my back it is a little less noticeable. I really don't feel that I need more magnification because most of the time I am calling the critters to within 100 yards, most of the time to within 30 yards. I also don't feel like I need to gather more light because even when I hunt at night I have a light system set up with a pressure pad that I activate as soon as I know I've got an animal close in. Even with just the 40mm objective allot of times I don't even need to turn the light on because I can see the critters on the snow backdrop. Really depends on the moon.

Anyways. I'm sure this isn't what some people like but it works for me. Good luck on getting your rifle set up.

I had a VTR in .223 and loved it however for accuracy I would change your priorities. I would get a HS or similar stock and spend about 600 on your scope. If you put 1k in nice glass it will still probably only shoot 2-3 MOA until you get rid of that junk factory remington stock. Even a take off from a 700P for about 150 would be leaps and bounds over the factory stock. and leave 850 for glass. Any varmint/ tactical short action remington stock will fit the VTR contour. If you havent already join up on 700rifle.com that is the outdoor forums of the remington 700. I have 4 700s in various calibers and if it comes with a SPS style stock that is the FIRST thing to go even before glass.

I have 4 of the 700's with the black factory stocks on all of them. All 4 will shoot under 1 inch at 100 yards. All 4 have Leupolds on them. I could not be happier with them just like they are. A friend of mine bought one in .223 a while back and the screws that you adjust the trigger with would not turn. It was replaced with a Timmey trigger and that solved his problem. In my opinion they are very good guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I have 4 of the 700's with the black factory stocks on all of them. All 4 will shoot under 1 inch at 100 yards. All 4 have Leupolds on them. I could not be happier with them just like they are.
    I second this. Just bed your factory stock and you'll get a sub-MOA rifle, thats if it isn't already a shooter.

Back on the topic of the scope, I put a cheap bushnell 4-16 on my predator AR in .223. What I quickly learned was that the cheap glass worked fine since I was at close range 90% of the time, but I never left the 4X setting and field of view sucked.

I'll be putting a Vortex diamond back 3-9 on before this fall since it has the biggest field of view I can find in a 3-9, I may even go down to the 1.5-6 Leupold VX3. I'm sure the terrain where you will be calling will be similar to where I call here on the peninsula, so keep those close quarters in mind!

Going with the Leupold Mk AR 6-18x40

Very good choice. You should be happy with that scope.

You will be happy.