Thread: Trekking poles - Slightly different questions

Default Trekking poles - Slightly different questions

I know the topic of trekking poles gets beat up quite a bit but I have some questions I cannot seem to find direct answers to in reading old threads here and on the net.

1. It is abundantly clear that many people prefer Black Diamond poles but quite often people don't actually mention which exact model and why. Looking at the BD site there seems to be quite a few different designs and specs. I know this will be different for every person just about but is there preferred model that balances weight, strength and compactness?

2. Along the same lines, is there a preferred model/design for use when using poles to pitch shelters? I recently got an SL5 and would love to not have to carry the pole and just use the trekking poles. I just don't know if there is a better model of pole for this. Does the shock absorber option make a difference when using the poles to pitch a tent? I assume the straight handle poles will work better than their Ergo design, correct?

3. I have seen some photos and videos from forum members here who have mounted monopod shooting V's on the tops of the poles. What I cannot seem to find is any detailed post about how exactly this was done. Are you justs drilling a hole and gluing in a thread? Personally I would like to have the option to not have the thread or V on top at times so I was thinking about gluing in an insert to which I could insert a thread and mount the V as necessary. Has anyone done this? My biggest concern is knowing how deep to drill/cut into the handle without hitting something important.

Thanks.

Here you go. These go much taller than your average trek pole and they have your V on top. Nice price too. Personally, I think people put way too much brain work into buying trek poles, but then again, I'm not trying to make shelters or shoot from mine, so I guess all of your questions are very valid. In the past I have only looked at weight differences and for a comfortable hand grip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Mono-Pod...-/180917599259

Thanks. I definitely want to go with BD (or other maker) that has the flick lock type lock. Every twist lock pole I have ever owned has failed at some point and I want to be sure the poles stay locked. Especially if I am pitching a tent with them. The last thing I want is for the lock to fail in a storm and the tent comes crashing down. You make a fair point about over-thinking things but I figure if I am going to drop $100+ then I had better be confident in what I want to purchase.

The BD contour elliptic is the most common flick lock pole refered to on here. It is hard to get the search results to come up, but this model is the most common.

For and SL5 you will need to use both poles or an adapater to get it high enough. Bearpaw designs sells an adapter to get a trekking pole tall enough. They come in aluminium and carbon in what ever length works for your shelter. Easy to make your own from hardware store aluminium tubing.

Most shock absorber systems can be locked out by tighening some aspect of the pole. The handle shape will not matter.

To mount a V grip or camera stud to your pole you need to drill out a hole to epoxy or glue in a 1/4-20 threaded insert. Then a 1/4-20 camera adapter stud can be used as a mono pod or a V grip for a gun can be threaded into the insert. Use a brass 1/4-20 threaded insert. They are made in stainless, but are hard to find outside a marine parts store with good inventory.

Thanks for the reply. That is just about what I was figuring. With the inserts I won't have the threaded stud sticking out which would allow me to use the poles to pitch the tent or even allow me to palm the top of the pole while walking. You could always then thread on an item like pictured below and have a pretty decent bipod should the situation require one.

The Black Diamond Elliptical or Trail series would be the best out of the BD line. I've used and abused a pair of BD aluminum poles for 5-6 years. I've found the aluminum is very strong and only weigh an ounce or two more than carbon.

Not all poles are built equally. Get poles that are as stiff as possible with very little lateral flex. Antishock poles are nothing more than a sales gimmick.

I've never set up an SL5 but have used my poles many times to prop up my sil-tarp in different configurations. For this application I haven't had any issues with the ergonomic handles.

Leki has a series of trekking poles that have some type of camera adapter that mounts on top of the handle. Not sure if the adapter will accept other types of accessories very easily but may be an easier option than trying to modify a pole yourself.

REI Anniversary Sales starts this Friday and will have all Black Diamond trekking poles 25% off. Perfect time to save a little money.

Thanks for the advice and the heads up on the REI sale. I actually had my hunting buddy pick me up a set of BD Trail poles today from Cabela's. It is quite nice to have a buddy that gets an employee discount. They had both the Contour and Trail poles there but I decided I would be good with the Trail for now. Should I ever get the chance to come do a sheep hunt or some more extreme hiking/climbing then I would definitely consider the upgrade. Thanks again.