Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizz Hunting near Fairbanks

Default Grizz Hunting near Fairbanks

Does anyone have any advice for where to go hunting for a grizz near the Fairbanks Area?

Thx

It might help if you define "near" and what sort of access you're looking for - ATV, walk-in, etc. I consider a 3 hour drive to be nearby, but others might consider near to mean within an hour or less.

Griz are pretty abundant in the Interior... pretty much go out of city limits.

I'd be inclined to try White Mountains or head down the Richardson toward Paxson.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I would like to consider near being about 2 hours or less with any realistic ATV ride in. I am relatively new here in Alaska and my wife and I would like to get a Grizz. I am packing a Ruger .375 and backed up with a 460 Smith and Wesson.

All kinds of choices.

Have you looked into the YTA at Ft. Wainwright? Tanana Flats?

How new to the State?
    Willing to pay non-resident fees?
    Military and don't know about hunting military property?

Either give us more info, or PM me and I'll try and help you out.

Chris

Sow griz was sighted on the Chena Flood control last weekend. Heck, the News Mindless even put a area in the paper with photos not long ago (Bonaza Creek)
    Lots of areas, lots of hunters in the easy to access areas. Got to remember about not shooting near baits....

Chris

Drive the steese towards white mountains and glass glass glass. There are grizz all over up there.

There are grizz every where, have grizz out at my house every year.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

spotted these 3 last saturday... 3 hours out of Fairbanks. however this is NOT common.. and this spring will likly thwart any ATV hunts into unit 20A/20B as snow pack is still excessive and too rotten for snowmobiles. if you do get out to the hills plan on a week.. day trips for interior grizz are difficult, as they are heavly hunted in the fall. and QUICKLY learn your in the field during the sprin.

getting above tree line early in the season and spotting is key.. by mid june in onther parts of unit 20 and the small part of 20B that is open till June 30.. they will be pushin down into tree line, watch for reports of sitings.. and plan on spening evenings out in those areas.. and by evenings.. i mean.. 4 pm-10 am

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have not really considered hunting on Ft Wainwright. I am not military, but I am DoD and have been here for 3 years. Up until here recently, I really did not have a desire to hunt a grizz, but have reconsidered this. As for accessing remote areas, I have ATVs that get around well enough and I shoot a 375 Ruger backed up with a 460 Mag.
    If possible, I would like to stay somewhat local, somewhere south of Circle- Livengood or north of Delta.
    The questions I have is where would be a good place to start looking? Do I want to stalk/ ambush in a river bottom or hike up on a hill and glass?

Thank you for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    spotted these 3 last saturday... 3 hours out of Fairbanks. however this is NOT common.. and this spring will likly thwart any ATV hunts into unit 20A/20B as snow pack is still excessive and too rotten for snowmobiles. if you do get out to the hills plan on a week.. day trips for interior grizz are difficult, as they are heavly hunted in the fall. and QUICKLY learn your in the field during the sprin.

getting above tree line early in the season and spotting is key.. by mid june in onther parts of unit 20 and the small part of 20B that is open till June 30.. they will be pushin down into tree line, watch for reports of sitings.. and plan on spening evenings out in those areas.. and by evenings.. i mean.. 4 pm-10 am

I agree with getting out in the hills this time of the year with a late spring. Trail riding would be difficult at best. What would be your thoughts about hunting along the riverbeds and open meadows at a lower elevation; givin that the rivers break up and are not too muddy?
    Right now, I my thoughts is that with the snow still in the hills, the bears would be lower? Is this an accurate thought?

BTW, nice pic

Thank you

Many grizzlies have been out of the den for a full month by now. That means they could be anywhere from the high country to the stream bottoms as demonstrated in the photo provided by Vince. Generally speaking they hang around the den for a few days and then they head for the food. Food at this time of year will consist of roots, green grass, ground squirrels, and moose including the soon to be born calves. Not much green grass yet, saw some ground squirrels out last weekend, and many moose.

Sometimes you just have to get out there and start glassing. Adjust your hunt plans based on animal sign (tracks, scat), animals observed, travel conditions, and finally your gut feeling! Get out there and find your new favorite spot and then share the story with us. Good luck and have fun!

You won't get far on an ATV this time of year. Rotten ice, flooding creeks and rivers. Snow drifts, brush, mud. Spring is as bad as it gets for an ATV.
    If you do go, better have snowshoes also. If you walk after a griz you might need them.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by archer1968 View Post
    I agree with getting out in the hills this time of the year with a late spring. Trail riding would be difficult at best. What would be your thoughts about hunting along the riverbeds and open meadows at a lower elevation; givin that the rivers break up and are not too muddy?
    Right now, I my thoughts is that with the snow still in the hills, the bears would be lower? Is this an accurate thought?

BTW, nice pic

Thank you
    they start out up high.. and work lower as the season gets going.. along rivers is a good place to start.. but will be limited again this year by break up.. i dont expect many, if ANY spring grizz to taken out of 20 A or the portion of 20B that closes here end of may, due to condtions this spring.. we are nearly a month behind schedule at the moment for thaw , tree buds, leaves, etc etc... its a hard one to call this year..

we are having real difficutly getting in and out of places we are normally runnign in now... and the rivers are looking BAD this spring for ice jams and flooding to come

Edit*****

guess what i am really saying is that, due to the really wierd spring this year... bears will come to those who REALLLLLY work their asses off for them. and as always are where you find them.. the three in the pic are still near tree line yet, as thats the upper Nenana river, that is JUST starting to loosen up the main channle as of last weekend. dont shoot one on the wrong side of the river.. not this year..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Saw lots when i was stationed at wainwright up at the hess creek livengood bridge area its about a 2hr drive north great area to hunt. Never did take one up there a i was more interested in other animals at that time

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Thank you for the pointer. I will definately give it a try.

Just got back from baiting a bear stand. The trail in was... Horrible but I still managed to get in. The meadows are a soup and I do not know what the next few weeks will bring; hopefully dryer!
    As for Grizz, I was thinking about either up north past Livengood but before the Yukon(Rifle) or down south around Lignite. What is the Lignite area like?

Is there any huntable areas where you are? Have you seen any this spring?

Archer1968- you confuse me. Want to stay local, and get away from local areas???

I guess I have to be sarcastic and ask if you would like us to give you current gps grid coordinates of a record boar, next to the road near a nice elevated cleaning platform.....

If you have been here three years, you should have an idea of where to start..
    Heck, Tim Morwy writes bear articles every spring about Chena Flood project, just a quick search on this site would give better than average areas to start.
    But when given areas, you response seems to say "don't want to hunt there"

Heck, a customer of mine just took some nice photos of a griz just of Steele road... probably within a hours drive of where you live.

Grizzly will be where they be at. You got to go out and hunt to find one.

Sorry if I rained on your parade,
    Chris

akgun&ammo, I am sorry for your confusion and a late reply... been hunting. Staying local was not necessary implying hunting in downtown Fairbanks, neither driving hours and hours for a few days in the woods. As for GPS coordinaes to "record bears", I would not want it if someone plugged it into my Garmin. I perfer the challenge of the hunt and by no way would I be looking on the road for bear. As I posted in regards to a caribou hunt, I walk miles, often off the five mile coridor to bow hunt carribou on the north slope and even further for moose out on the flats. So far in the three years I have been here, I have seen very little to no bear sign; whether that is fortunate or not! This is my first season that I am actually pursuing Grizzly and am seeking every scrap of information I can get to educate myself before stepping out in the woods, possible places to go where they are more abundant and where to look for them in the spring. (Seems to make sense to me and should not be confusing.)

Anyway, I have seen a lot of good information from my post that has gotten me started and going well. I passed up a small looking boar this week but will be back out real soon. Some of your info was very useful as well. Thank you for the help!

Next weekend I will be out again seeking a nice boar thanks to the help as I said from you and everyone else here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast