Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12Hp or save for 18Hp Copperhead

Default 12Hp or save for 18Hp Copperhead

Wow..ran into Mainer in Whitehorse today and was too shocked to invite him for dinner! Drove after his fancy new vehicle but lost him. We did talk Surface drives though! There is a thousand dollars between the 12HP and 18HP on the Copperhead site. I could about swing the 12HP financially.

Question is to drive the Scott HB would I be better saving up for 1/3 more horsepower of the 18?

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Wow..ran into Mainer in Whitehorse today and was too shocked to invite him for dinner! Drove after his fancy new vehicle but lost him. We did talk Surface drives though! There is a thousand dollars between the 12HP and 18HP on the Copperhead site. I could about swing the 12HP financially.

Question is to drive the Scott HB would I be better saving up for 1/3 more horsepower of the 18?
    Wouldn't that really be 1/2 more horsepower? 12-18 is an increase of 50%, 18-12 would be a decrease of 1/3.

What are you pushing with it?
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

A Scott Hudson Bay. 250 pounds empty. 1000 pounds loaded. 1500 pounds with a moose.

If you know anyone with a 12 hp, see if you can swing a test drive mounted on your boat. ADD a load and you'll have your answer. There are several people on this forum who have them and might be interested in a river run. I'm betting the 12 hp will make your boat scat, though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Lakes or rivers, could make a difference. I have seen a 23 horse mudbuddy on one and it seemed to be the cats meow.
    Whatever you get let us know how she performs.

I just bought a 12hp and won't be back until July..unless your in a hurry we might be able to set something up for August timeframe and you can try mine on her. I am pushing an EBADS and looking forward to getting pretty good speeds with or without weight.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Wouldn't that really be 1/2 more horsepower? 12-18 is an increase of 50%, 18-12 would be a decrease of 1/3.
    well ****,,,, that is about correct. Thanks/

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    I just bought a 12hp and won't be back until July..unless your in a hurry we might be able to set something up for August timeframe and you can try mine on her. I am pushing an EBADS and looking forward to getting pretty good speeds with or without weight.
    Very good of you.... I will have to see how my holidays go.

North61 ....
    A number of us on this forum have Hudson Bays with 23hp MudBuddy SD motors. And none have complained that they feel over-powered. Frankly, I would feel under-powered with 12hp. If you ever come to Fbx, let's go for a ride, assuming the ice ever goes out.

North61,

I inquired with the folks at Copperhead about their 12 hp surface drive. It uses an LCT (Liquid Combustion Technology) motor which is a derivative of a stroked Honda GX 390. Copperhead wonít have any of these available until late May.

So in the meantime, theyíre offering a Kohler 14 hp motor with electric start for $3045. All you supply is the battery. The Kohler 14s are selling so well, that Copperhead will continue to offer them in the future, but the price will go up by several hundred dollars on 1 June after the 12 hp LCT motor becomes available again.

They have other motor developments coming and they said their web site will be under revision to show the new products.

Greg, it was great meeting you. I apologize for the full-inbox, I just got back in town. Soon as I crossed the border, I hit a wall of snow. Sure do miss the 75-80 degree weather down in Lilooet, BC. The smell of flowering plants and trees, fresh sage brush all through the air. We'll talk motors I'm sure, gotta get some sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Greg, it was great meeting you. I apologize for the full-inbox, I just got back in town. Soon as I crossed the border, I hit a wall of snow. Sure do miss the 75-80 degree weather down in Lilooet, BC. The smell of flowering plants and trees, fresh sage brush all through the air. We'll talk motors I'm sure, gotta get some sleep.
    Nothing like a Snowing Welcome home in May right? lol

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Fate is talking to me. Was in Ross River and spend a half hour taling to the RCMP that had a boat out to deal with a flood...they had the first surface drive I have seen in person. Gotta mean something eh?

North61 ....

What were the RCMP driving ... boat and motor?

a large Jon type boat with a 35 HP Go Devil. It was the RCMP officers own boat and not Govt issue. Had an ingenious grab bar made out of plumbing fixtures.

Ok...I'll sleep on it but nearly ready to pull the trigger on a 14HP Copperhead..it's on the 12HP frame with a Kohler 14. Just need to research duty when customs opens up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Ok...I'll sleep on it but nearly ready to pull the trigger on a 14HP Copperhead..it's on the 12HP frame with a Kohler 14. Just need to research duty when customs opens up tomorrow.
    NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement, makes import of a canoe from Canada to the US a duty-free endeavor, if it's for personal use. I would think the import of a boat motor from the US to Canada would also be duty-free if it is for personal use, and not for immediate (commercial) re-sale.

Kinda, but you still pay the tax up front then have to apply for your refund. It's a free trade agreement not a tax free agreement.
    My H.B, which was delivered less than a month ago had a little over $300 worth of "fees" attached and I had to go on line to get the refund form, which like any govt form, is full of complications!
    Mike

Alasgun,

If the fees you mentioned were to satisfy a US Customs requirement, it may be because there was a carrier involved. The carrier likely had to post import duty or other administrative fees on your behalf because you (the importer) were unavailable at the border to declare the canoe for personal use only. It makes sense that there would then be a bureaucratic ordeal to get a refund.

If you transport the canoe yourself from Canada into the US, itís a paperless and duty-free operation. All thatís necessary is to declare the canoe for personal use at the US border, and youíre finished.

Were you happy with the carrier who delivered your canoe? Was it a reasonable price? When I looked at hiring a carrier to ship a canoe from Whitehorse to Anchorage, I was quoted $3000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast