Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Bullet loads for the .308 Winchester

Default Heavy Bullet loads for the .308 Winchester

Folks,

My Bride is in possesion of an antlerless moose tag for this year and as such, has purchased for her use a Remington Model 7 in .308 Win. (20 in. barrel) As a first year drawing entrent, she also drew the 482 Caribou tag so will be using her new rifle and load for that as well.

Background info out of the way, let's get down to brass tacks...

I would like to put together a load for her that will cover both of these hunting scenarios with the thought that, although she has an antlerless tag, she will be hunting during the regular season and may be shooting something slightly larger than a dry cow...

I would like to stay above 165gn but am open to ideas from the more experienced...

Thanks in advance,
    John

Find an accurate combo with the 165 or 180 grain partition and you're set. Neither species is a bullet sponge. They die easy with good hits from rounds a lot less potent than the 308. The 165 would let you get a little more velocity for a little flatter trajectory, but with the short barrel on that M7, you're not going to set any land speed records.

Thanks BB,

I've got a fair stock of 168gn TTSX... what are your thoughts on that bullet for this application?

Thanks again,
    John

I agree, any of the high quality bullets in 165 shouldn't have any issue with either of those animals.

Quote Originally Posted by AK4570 View Post
    Thanks BB,

I've got a fair stock of 168gn TTSX... what are your thoughts on that bullet for this application?

Thanks again,
    John
    Those are perfect!

Thanks BB,

Thanks again,
    John
    Never tried them in 30 cal. Based on low vel performance in other calibers (i.e., long range shooting) I'd be suspicious of them if you tried to stretch the range. I've got a lifetime supply of partitions, and they've never let me down at any distance.

Thanks BB,

Thanks again,
    John
    Personaly, I would avoid those bullets in that cartridge and for the intended game, and opt for Nosler Partitions/Accubond, Hornady Interlock/Interbond or Speer HotCor. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Personaly, I would avoid those bullets in that cartridge and for the intended game, and opt for Nosler Partitions/Accubond, Hornady Interlock/Interbond or Speer HotCor. Just my 2 cents.
    What he said.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

If you decide to use the Barnes bullets you have, spend some time at the bench to make sure your rifle likes them; they can be hard to tune to some guns. There isn't much reason to use them in a 308 though as the velocities acheived by the 308 don't stress the bullets like the 300 Mag rounds do. There are many quality bullets loaded and you can try a box of them before laying out the bucks for various components that your rifle may not like. Moose and caribou are much harder to find than to kill and with proper shot placement they just wind up steaks and burgers.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

You might want to try the Swift A frame 165 Grain, The performance is great.

I'm running 2595fps with 175gr Berger's in a 20" .308 Win, that's plenty fast to do what your talking about. I wouldn't consider the VLD on a moose, I've shot deer with it and it's quite destructive inside of 75 yards.

My 20" .308Win has 1:10 twist but I think the traditional 1:12 twist .308's would stabilize up to 180's without a problem. The Accubond or an A-Frame in the 165gr - 180gr class would be just fine. You will get plenty of velocity and improved accuracy out of the 20" barrel, no worries there.

A simple recipe utilizing Winchester brass with any standard large rifle primer and RL-15 will get the job done. My pet VLD load is in Lapua brass with BR2 primers but the cheaper stuff works just fine.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...2&cartridge=80

Thanks for all the replies, folks... I believe we'll start working something up along the lines of the 165 and 180 NPs along with a dash of H4895...

I've got a goodly supply of the 180s; I'll have to scour the shelves and see if I can chase down a box of 165s!

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Take care,
    John

I've got a goodly supply of the 180s; I'll have to scour the shelves and see if I can chase down a box of 165s!
    Wouldn't sweat it in the least if you don't find 165's. The 180's will do just fine if your gun likes em.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'd go with 180 grain.

Something like a Rem Corlokt. Shouldn't need a special bullet.

I'm always concerned about bears and light for caliber bullets.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Youíll do just fine with the 308. I dropped a cow moose and a 6í.6Ē Brown bear last year with my M1A, 168gr HP. It turned the moose lungs to liquid and exploded the bear heart. They took about 3 steps and dropped like a sack of potatoes. I Love the 308. Itís all about bullet placement. This year Iím going 45-70, 405gr Buffalo Bore for everything. Hope you fill those tags. Good times, Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'd go with 180 grain.

Something like a Rem Corlokt. Shouldn't need a special bullet.
    Agreed. The partitions are nice to have, but 308 velocities are prime for great performance with heavy cup-and-core. So many guys look down on cup-and-cores, you're more likely to find them and find deals on them than any premium.

Thank you all for the input... due to the Panic and the resultant shortages, I'll be going with what I have on hand. 180 Partition's

Thanks again,
    John

I've got several loads put together that my guns love with RL15 and Varget with 178 Amax's and 175 SMK's. I push them in the low-mid 2600's, depending on which gun I'm playing with. These are my long-range fun guns, 1/11.25 twist and flat out shoot. See no reason why 180's would work just as well. Great choice for wife/kid and moose.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I've got the exact same rifle...owned it since I was 13 and now my wife uses it. I got a load that gets me to 2550 fps with a 200 grain Woodleigh using RL-17 with no pressure signs and could likely go higher, but the groups are so good, I'm at the point where its like "why"?

In all reality a 150 TTSX or a 165 Accubond will do just fine as well, but with better trajectories.

So I'm trying 130 TTSXs this year in my .308s as well.

That's what I was thinking when I read the "heavy load 308" title. 180 grainers are a normal bullet size if you ask me. Make that a 200 grainer.....now we're talking heavy. I'm kind of wishing that I didn't shoot off those 50 hand-loaded 200 grain nosler partition/308 win bullets at the range. They would've made a good hunting round for somebody else.

If the price of the partitions and woodeleigs is too high for your tastes.......

Speer even makes a 200 grain hot-cor, perfect bullet for the 308 if you ask me. For caribou a moose hunting, I'd take a 200 grain 308 load, and deal with the difference in trajectory over the lighter bullets. A 200 yd zero would leave you all of 8 or 9 inches low at 300......that's not bad at all. That's about max for the 308 winchester IMO.......200 grainer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast