Thread: A felt boot alternative

Default A felt boot alternative

A couple weeks ago I reviewed Goat Head Gear wading spikes here http://www.flygearreviews.com/goat-head-gear-review/

I became interested in the product after Alaska banned the use of Felt Soles and I found myself slipping all over the place when I was wading there. I'd prefer not to talk about the time I fell into the water when a big Brownie walked into the water 25 feet down from me... . That said, this summer I'll be more prepared and able-footed!

How is everybody adjusting to ban and what are you using as a felt boot alternative? Does the ban tick you off, or do you agree with its premises? With so many tourists traveling into the state each year, I would imagine the ban has fairly good merit. Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by benjicunney View Post

How is everybody adjusting to ban and what are you using as a felt boot alternative?
    For two years now I've been using Corker studded rubber soles and my wife has been using the Simms with their star shaped studs (I forget their name).

We were dedicated felt users before. They could legalize felt again tomorrow, but we'd never go back to them. For our waters and uses, the steel/carbide studs on rubber soles are that much better. End of story for us. Guys can wail about the loss of felts, but it's their problem and not ours.

I highly recommend studs. Last year I picked up a pair of Korkers and used their studded "slip resistant" sole inserts. I felt very comfortable wading even in quick, waist deep water.

I've been using the Korker strap-on studs. Far better than felt ever was.

I too use the Korker studs. Waded the russian last year when it was waist deep without event. Everyone else was going for a swim. Not this guy.

My only complaint is they get caught on all kinds of other junk hiking around but it wont kill you. What will is stepping on the outside of your foot with them on dry moss covered rocks. My elbow still hurts.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Does the ban tick you off, or do you agree with its premises?

Rock Snot ticks me off so lets ban felt!

I agree with all of you. After I started using these goat head gear spikes, I haven't put my felt inserts back in. Its impressive how much traction you have with them. I agree with the Ban, especially in a state like Alaska who has fishing tourists arriving from every river across the country/world.

Has anyone tried Svelte II from Korkers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Does the ban tick you off, or do you agree with its premises?

Rock Snot ticks me off so lets ban felt!
    Im good with it. I know that sometimes these decisions are made with haste and not much thought is always put behind them. Really though it seems like the right thing and if it makes even a small difference I think thats good.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    For our waters and uses, the steel/carbide studs on rubber soles are that much better. End of story for us. Guys can wail about the loss of felts, but it's their problem and not ours.
    I'll join that chorus!
    To each their own; and I respect everyone's personal choices/ethics/reasons for using rubber soles... but they are not for me. Just yesterday I fished the Kasilof and nearly busted my arse on the icy rocks and cursed my boots and the felt ban; granted, I didn't have my studs in but I'm also fishing out of an inflatable, frame-less, personal pontoon. I also have a severed ACL in my left knee so I am very conscious about my footing anywhere I step, regardless of being in swift water or not.

Furthermore, the ban on felt is one that is entirely misunderstood.... From a purely scientific view, many of the aquatic hitch-hikers that plague southern waters can't even establish themselves in Alaskan latitudes and climates. AK Board of Fish made their felt-ban based more on the "threat" of invasive aquatic organisms and less on the empirical scientific evidence of hitch-hiker presence in AK waters.

I would prefer to see them reverse their decision and adopt more of an educational approach like the State of Montana's policy of "Inspect-Clean-Dry"; and this applies to more than just boot soles, but to waders, boats, trailers, etc... pretty much any sort of material that can absorb quantities of moisture capable of supporting organisms long enough to be transported to another watershed. Montana's fishery health is arguably every bit as important to their economy as Alaska's is, and the access to their rivers is undeniably easier; fishermen and hunters from hundreds of miles away trailer their boats and gear to Montana waters every year... and for a much longer/warmer season than we see up here. Yet they don't ban felt; even Simms went back into producing felt soles after learning more about the aquaculture of invasive organism establishment.

IMHO, there is way more priority for enforcement to monitor poaching, gear restrictions, and wanton waste, as well as for legislation to protect sensitive habitat areas from development, pollution, and over harvesting. Maybe then would we still see an early spring king run May.

Rep sent jock. Inflatables and studs probly don't go we'll together. Another knee jerk reaction by F and G in my opinion.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I've fished out of my pontoon boat several times with my korkers without incident. They are not sharp by any stretch of the imagination and any reputable raft has a tough exterior.

I'm with the previous posters, I wouldn't go back to felt even if I could, soft rubber and studs feels way better...

I'm all for the ban, better to be proactive, seems ADFG is dammed if they do and dammed if they don't... I thought I read that Kodiak is already dealing with an invasive thought to be brought in on tourist boots? I've seen enough milfoil in Washington to appreciate ADFGs cautious approach...

I'm all for the ban also.

It sounds good to "clean, dry, inspect, disinfect", but think about it for a minute. There is a whole bunch of anglers that can't carry out their old mono and beer cans, do you really think there is any chance at all they will clean their boots?

Quote Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
    I'm all for the ban also.

It sounds good to "clean, dry, inspect, disinfect", but think about it for a minute. There is a whole bunch of anglers that can't carry out their old mono and beer cans, do you really think there is any chance at all they will clean their boots?
    Or follow daily and possesion limits or... The list goes on. I applaud ADFG for being pro-active in this case! You've got to be able to enforce the rules, how do you enforce clean, dry, inspect, disinfect?