Thread: Birch sap

Default Birch sap

Anyone looking for birch sap there's a fella in Wasilla selling it for a dollar a gallon. He's getting about 12 gallons a day right now. I made up a bunch of syrup good stuff. Pm me for the number.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Anyone looking for birch sap there's a fella in Wasilla selling it for a dollar a gallon. He's getting about 12 gallons a day right now. I made up a bunch of syrup good stuff. Pm me for the number.
    Interesting to hear of someone selling raw sap. I assume this is good clean sap?
    So with the sap at a dollar a gallon you are looking at $55-$60 for a gallon of syrup. Seems a bit spendy but then again maybe not.
    What is the retail price of a gallon of birch syrup these days?
    One of these years I might have to make my own. I made maple syrup as a kid I can't see this being much different.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

All depends on how far you cook it down. Birch syrup cost is for 4-5 times maple. We cooked it down 18-1 then added sugar and alum. Canned up quite a bit. It's certainly cheaper to go to Costco for mrs. Butterworths but its also cheaper to buy beef than go moose hunting.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

That's not a bad deal at all. Pure maple syrup is 40:1 and wholesale price is $60 gallon. Pure birch syrup is at least 90:1, but usually $60+ a quart.

but its also cheaper to buy beef than go moose hunting.
    Hmmmmm.........I'd have to say that depends.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hmmmmm.........I'd have to say that depends.....lol
    I've been a couple times where moose was much cheaper, but most times I could bought 200 lbs of ribeyes cheaper
    Unknown author

I've been a couple times where moose was much cheaper, but most times I could bought 200 lbs of ribeyes cheaper
    Yeah..........I understand. But the only reason I said that was for a number of years, when moose hunting was good down here, I killed bull after bull, after bull, less than 2 miles from my house, with bullets I reloaded years before. Those were REALLY affordable moose.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Birch sap is so hard to get, drill a hole in a tree, stick a hose in it and run it into a bucket. The first time I did it we tapped 5 trees and got 4-5 gallons a day..

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson