Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardcore DIY Dall'ers

Default Hardcore DIY Dall'ers

Awesome video that really conveys the pain !! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVvzd...yer_detailpage

Awesome video!

Bill Ellis of Nabesna Air flew them out. Or his plane anyway. Interesting video.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Nice job on the video!

Good to see Kirk Ellis still getting after it...I have launched from that air strip more than a few times.

Nice. Know exactly where they were and been there before. Nice video!

Yup, a real sheep hunt. Congratulations on two trophies you earned. Great video and a perfect example of how sheep hunting can get into your blood ... never to leave. No two hunts are ever the same. Thanx for the vicarious hunt and good luck this year.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I watched it with my daughter. We enjoyed it. The challenge looked awesome. Lily looked down at that first climb and said "That looks fun. I don't know why but I like steep stuff like that." Sheep hunting even gets in the blood of little girls.

Congrats to the hunters after experiencing and enduring in the backcountry.

I have to admire folks that take the time to document. I get kinda selfish sometimes and just want to experience the moments. Breaking out a video camera kinda makes it a social event. I appreciate the effort.

New hunters should note how adaptable this pair was to the mountain and it's weather. Good job gentlemen! They were willing and capable of stopping when and where it was appropriate. I would also say a laser rangefinder and solid rest would have been very helpful for that 400 yrd shot. Also having a spotter instead of a second shooter would be considered. I have respect for this pair. It's a public forum where lots of new hunters are watching and reading some execution critique is appropriate.

It has been a while since I flew out of that strip. Good memories! Congrats to the hunters for Getting it done.

Yup, It was REALLY cool!!!!!!!!!! (my Dad said)

Pretty good video! I watched it last night and enjoyed seeing some of the real experiences that don't make it past the editing room floor in most professional vids.

Congratulations to Josh and his buddy. I've known Josh for awhile and he is a great hunter and fisherman. If you ever get the chance to go fishing with him, take it. He owns Kingfisher Charters out of Glennallen and fishes the Klutina and Gulkana. He is a great choice if you are looking for a local guide that actually lives locally all year round and knows the area.

Not to take away from the post but is this a true DIY hunt? I thought a DIY hunt was when there are no commercial services used such as a supercub charter. I'm probably wrong though. Maybe I'll start a separate thread for the answer.

Cool video ... I have always wanted to record my sheep hunts but when push came to shove the business of finding and getting on the sheep was more important and the camera stayed in the bag... Maybe this year since its a personal hunt or maybe even a live feed or updates.. That would be cool..

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Congratulations to Josh and his buddy. I've known Josh for awhile and he is a great hunter and fisherman. If you ever get the chance to go fishing with him, take it. He owns Kingfisher Charters out of Glennallen and fishes the Klutina and Gulkana. He is a great choice if you are looking for a local guide that actually lives locally all year round and knows the area.

Not to take away from the post but is this a true DIY hunt? I thought a DIY hunt was when there are no commercial services used such as a supercub charter. I'm probably wrong though. Maybe I'll start a separate thread for the answer.
    If I were him and you asked that question to me, I'd slap you across your face.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    If I were him and you asked that question to me, I'd slap you across your face.
    Oohhh, did the little mossy guy get offended?

If you get time you should check out his other youtube videos as well. He has some nice moose and bear hunts on there too.

DIY is all about the planning and execution in my opinion. This guy laid out his blood sweet and tears on that one. The sucess and failure rested entirly on that team. If commercial utilization negated DYI designation you better not stop at the gas station, car store, sporting goods store, ect....don't use google earth. These guys did a DYI hunt. I'm sure there was plenty of intel shared beforehand, harvest reports, bio's, flight charter (obviously). They likely used hydrological data for that stream, perhaps. Although they found out the flows were much higher than anticipated.

I think all Mossyhorn was saying is these guys earned those sheep and any comments degrading their hard earned sucess wouldn't be appreciated.

DYI starts at the house. When a hunter decides when, where, and how he will hunt, DYI. Sorry I should have commented on your seperate post.

I apologize if I took away from their amazing video. I meant no disrespect by my comment. As Bighorse said, there was an amazing amount of blood, sweat, and tears that went into getting their sheep. It was an awesome video.

It was a very good video documentation. Covered the highs and lows of such an adventure. I wish hunters included their rifle/caliber/bullet/scope info. Its nice to see what others are doing. Other than that, congrats on two wonderful trophies.

Well looks like every one here but me knows where that hunt took place. I guess the Wrangells?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast