Thread: Nonresident hunting

Default Nonresident hunting

I will be moving to Homer at the beginning of the month. I am trying to find information on hunting. I know I will be a nonresident until I have resided in the state for a year and rightfully will have to purchase a nonresident license. However, what I don't understand is the difference between the nonresident hunting (small game only) ($20) and the nonresident hunting ($85). What other than small game does the nonresident hunting license ($85) allow you to hunt? It seems to me that all big game require a tag for nonresidents (ONCE AGAIN, RIGHTFULLY SO). I understand I am not an Alaskan. Any info to keep me legal would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by captainredshirt View Post
    I will be moving to Homer at the beginning of the month. I am trying to find information on hunting. I know I will be a nonresident until I have resided in the state for a year and rightfully will have to purchase a nonresident license. However, what I don't understand is the difference between the nonresident hunting (small game only) ($20) and the nonresident hunting ($85). What other than small game does the nonresident hunting license ($85) allow you to hunt? It seems to me that all big game require a tag for nonresidents (ONCE AGAIN, RIGHTFULLY SO). I understand I am not an Alaskan. Any info to keep me legal would be greatly appreciated.
    You can buy a non-res small game license and hunt small game or you can buy a non-res license and hunt small game + whatever big game tags you want to buy. You cannot buy big game tags on a small game license.

For a non-res hunter, I would recommend you read the regs carefully and call ADFG with any questions you may have. The non-res regs can be confusing.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks for the info hodgeman, that was what I was kind of figuring. Don't think I'll be doing any big game hunting...maybe a deer. I'll save the others until I get my bearing up there. Thanks again

also if you want a few more responses on your location remove california and put "soon to be homer"....
    he's right a big game license allow you to buy big game tags available to non-residents. there are a few you can get without having to draw a tag. Caribou,deer, black bears to name some.

Duly noted on changing location, and will do so here shortly. Luckily however, I'M NOT FROM THIS COMMUNIST STATE ORIGINALLY.
    I'm from Louisiana. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    also if you want a few more responses on your location remove california and put "soon to be homer"....
    he's right a big game license allow you to buy big game tags available to non-residents. there are a few you can get without having to draw a tag. Caribou,deer, black bears to name some.

Don't think I'll be doing any big game hunting...maybe a deer. I'll save the others until I get my bearing up there. Thanks again
    For what it's worth, deer would require a lot of traveling from Homer - either by air, boat, or both. If you do get an itch to do some big game hunting, black bear might be a great option either across the bay from Homer or up the road ~90 miles in the Kenai Mountains. Black bear on alpine berry patches in the late fall is an excellent hunt and provides excellent meat.

Yea, I wasn't thinking about that. What's closest place for deer, Kodiak? I may end up going for a black bear, especially of YOU say the meat is good around then. I saw the lynx you prepared, it looked really good. Makes me wanna try some.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    For what it's worth, deer would require a lot of traveling from Homer - either by air, boat, or both. If you do get an itch to do some big game hunting, black bear might be a great option either across the bay from Homer or up the road ~90 miles in the Kenai Mountains. Black bear on alpine berry patches in the late fall is an excellent hunt and provides excellent meat.

Yea, I wasn't thinking about that. What's closest place for deer, Kodiak? I may end up going for a black bear, especially of YOU say the meat is good. I saw the lynx you prepared, it looked really good. Makes me wanna try some.
    Black bear in the alpine munching berries is great table fare... From Homer you could head across the bay to Seldovia or similar and be in great black bear hunting country.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

You could take a wheeler down to Kodiak on the ferry for a few hundy.....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

for what its worth, Dont waste a whole year up here not hunting just to save a couple bucks. Every man is only given so many hunting seasons in his life. Not getting out in the fall makes for a loooooooooooong winter.

I'd recommend you buy the $85 nonres license the day you arrange housing and new address, and put that down as your (new) location on the license. Any other documentation you can do is also good, so you don't run into problems down the line proving residency.

FYI I'm from California and I see nothing wrong with that <grin>. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

California is not a bad place to be from as long as you leave it behind.

Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022 View Post
    California is not a bad place to be from as long as you leave it behind.