Thread: Jim Creek Restroom set on fire

Default Jim Creek Restroom set on fire

restroom.jpg I work for the Borough in the Recreation Division and we maintain this restroom. Our cleaning staff reported this damage this morning. If anyone has any information we would sure appreciate it. I was out there on Saturday and the place was packed and everyone was having a great time. Sad to see this happen.

Thank you.

This is purely deja vu - there was once a Pavilion, well head and trails funded by equestrian grants in the area, too. All gone.

Meanwhile, here is but one of the problematic issues at the other major KRPUA access:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Shooting-Range

Those politically driven special interest MSB and DNR MLW management and enforcement 'plans' for the Knik R. watershed will need evolve a lot more in line with reality to protect myriad public resources and to stem the frequency of these behaviors.
    The problem has a deep history, and I recall past Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan's unheeded (actually chided) advice at a Butte meeting. Too bad.

Hope someone comes forward with some info !!
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Betcha a dollar it was done by a teenager who lives nearby.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Betcha a dollar it was done by a teenager who lives nearby.
    I dunno - more than one old guy has been busted playin' with fire in the Knik.
    Is betting allowed here? If so ..............

That sucks, but maybe someone finally had enough of those stupid TP holders they use thru out the state that will not let you unroll the TP.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    That sucks, but maybe someone finally had enough of those stupid TP holders they use thru out the state that will not let you unroll the TP.
    Hahaha - 'Power Drifter'

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    This is purely deja vu - there was once a Pavilion, well head and trails funded by equestrian grants in the area, too. All gone.

Meanwhile, here is but one of the problematic issues at the other major KRPUA access:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Shooting-Range

Those politically driven special interest MSB and DNR MLW management and enforcement 'plans' for the Knik R. watershed will need evolve a lot more in line with reality to protect myriad public resources and to stem the frequency of these behaviors.
    The problem has a deep history, and I recall past Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan's unheeded (actually chided) advice at a Butte meeting. Too bad.

Hope someone comes forward with some info !!
    There is master plan in place for the area that improves the entire borough owned area. Input was sought from user groups and landowners in the area. The plan includes parking lot improvements etc and can be seen at www.matsugov.us/docman/.../4311-draft-jim-creek-motorized-master-plan. It does not restrict access.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    There is master plan in place for the area that improves the entire borough owned area. Input was sought from user groups and landowners in the area. The plan includes parking lot improvements etc and can be seen at www.matsugov.us/docman/.../4311-draft-jim-creek-motorized-master-plan. It does not restrict access.
    How big of a motor does that plan have?

Sorry - could not resist (and am only replying since you addressed my comment). Am well aware of the plan, how and by whom it was shaped and put in place, and the well-documented history of the area (including the trails, clean-ups, prior planning efforts, the record, and Butte CC spectacles) - having had much experience / participation in that entire arena, including within MSB halls.
    The belief that multi-use trails do not, in some cases, preclude use by some groups is an outmoded model. Access w/o responsibility for sustainable habitats is another whole discussion.

I do use motors in the Knik, always have - since the 1970's.
    Not going to stick around here and argue the details over this with anyone - but am watching for real progress, having advocated, volunteered, documented and catalogued (along w/lots of other folks) - and being far less than pleased with the results for decades.

With the new plan, the challenge is now to show actual on-the-ground improvements in management and enforcement.

Wishing you the best in solving the problems - sincerely.

The old saying, you donít know what you have till itís gone. If we do not do something to maintain what is there and what we have, it is cheaper for the state to shut it down. My opinion we the users need to be more active toward the abusers. Been cussed more than once for blocking the trail when I stop to clean an abusers mess and expect I will be cussed in the future. Clean-up days, and state plans are great, (I support them all) but will not change anything if not someone/everyone reports, complain, and address the issue as it happens. Get tag #ís , machine #, picturesÖ. Anything helps the troopers. Right now they receive the complaint 3 days later and they write a report. Look at fishing the Russian, lots of people (different event). You donít see the river trashed up. Itís not because of the state, itís because the userís donít allow it. You make a mess and 4-5 people will let you know you need to clean it up. You break a law 4-5 people let you know you are doing wrong.

Never been there but I hope they catch the person that did this.

I have to frequent such places more and more as I get older. Never could understand the "why" of such actions.

If we catch a few of the culprits and make them responsible for the paying the bill of repairing such damage. I bet a lot of this crap would stop. It's the same principles like I've taught my children....they see the value of that 400 dollar iPod in a whole new light when they have to buy it with their own money.

Bear in mind that a higher level of enforcement for the Knik in general, as recommended by several expensive prior publicly funded planning efforts and advice from other agencies, was denied politically by groups that claimed victory in the current management scenario.

Oops - It was me that said I was ' .... not going to argue details...'.
    Apologies.