Thread: Shuttle service for the Nenana River

Default Shuttle service for the Nenana River

I am thinking about floating the Nenana River in early July from the Denali Highway put in down to the Parks Highway bridge. I was wondering if there is any shuttle service that works that part of the river? Thank you.

Not that I am aware of however you might consider Jim R. at Denali Rafting Adventures.

No dedicated shuttle service for boaters there as moose stated. Denali Raft may help you out. If they cannont, I'd inquire to other local small businesses in the area. Particularly those that provide some kind of shuttle service to their guests to and from the park entrance/glitter gulch area....such as the jetboat safari, husky homestead, denali air, etc.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Thanks for the ideas. Do either one of you know what the general character of the river is like there? I understand that it is about a Class II in that section of river. Is it shallow or have rock gardens, sweepers, etc? I'm just trying to get an idea of what it is like.

I've only boated downstream from the bridge you intend to take out at and primarily from McKinley Village to the Healy Coal plant. Depending on the water level you will find boulder gardens and sleeper holes to be your biggest obstacles. Watch your downstream oar to avoid flag-poling (I'm sure you know this but I've seen more instances in this river than many others). The water is very silty, mighty cold and in areas very swift in that river.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

From the Denali Hwy to the Parks bridge is class I-II with fast currents and sweepers in some sections. Otherwise, pretty easy and straightforward. suitable for moderate beginners with cold water experience. No shuttle service but you could pay to have one from Fairbanks...but it'll cost you more than you'll want to pay. Call Valerie at Alpen Glow Shuttles if you want a quote: 479-2277.

good luck.

larry

You may try giving Alpine Creek Lodge a call. Not saying they would or wouldn't but they are about half way up the Denali and you may be able to work something out with them on one of their trips in and out. I'm sure they will accept money...

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I am thinking about floating the Nenana River in early July from the Denali Highway put in down to the Parks Highway bridge. I was wondering if there is any shuttle service that works that part of the river? Thank you.
    Bring a bike, it's a nice ride!

Thank you all for your ideas.

If you are looking for a ride back to your vehicle just hitchike? There are tons of people in that area in July. Once you take out in denali village talk to one of the local raft companys and see if you can stash your gear there hitch hike back to your ride then go retrieve your stuff.

Denali hwy to nenana 1? It's beautiful and a piece of cake. A nice evening float. I'd just get dropped off if I were you; have them take your rig and swap it at the bridge. You could make it into a weekend trip if you stop for some exploring along the way. The tour boats don't run later in the evening and it should be very peaceful without them.

On Friday we drove north on the Parks and went past the Nenana many times. The water was extremely low and thick ice chunks all around Denali. Yesterday (Monday) after three days of hot sun, the ice is mostly out and the water level has risen significantly...with lots muddy side rivers/streams feeding it. No indication of any rafting yet, but I would think any day now...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

An old thread, but I have some good info for it. I floated from mile 17 Denali Highway to the McKinley Park Village over memorial day. 48 miles. Great trip, great weather. I called Backwoods Lodge (907 987 0960) in Cantwell and arranged a shuttle. Very nice and helpful folks. They moved my pickup and raft right after we put it, no issues. Reasonably priced.

Can you provide pics and details of your float? I've been interested in this and the lower section if I could arrange for enough dry suits.