Thread: Whittier fishing tackle??

Default Whittier fishing tackle??

A friend and I are taking his boat out this coming weekend to do a little bear hunting and fishing out of Whittier. I was hoping that I could get some advice on what fishing tackle we should take. Kings?? Halibut?? We haven't had the chance to go out yet so we don't know what to expect. Thanks

Default Tackle

I've seen a couple of kings come in, but it's generally a pretty slow fishery here. The Sound doesn't have strong returns of kings, just feeders.

This time of year you'll probably wind up fishing the bottom for halibut and rockfish. I would suggest a typical halibut setup, maybe a little lighter gear if you're staying in the Sound. A 16 ounce sinker should be enough up north. Halibut fishing in the northern Sound is typically pretty slow but patience pays off. Don't be afraid to wait. Rockfish are still fairly plentiful. Small jigs will work well, but I would suggest using your halibut sized tackle so that only big rockfish are brought in. Because it's pretty hard to find halibut here, juvenile rockfish are getting hit pretty hard. Most of these fish are pretty small and die as their swim bladders bloat out when brought up from over 80' or so.

I like to use Jig with a curly tail. This will pick Halibut, Yellow eye and sea bass. Bring a couple of circle hooks 14/0 and some herring.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I just talked to my friend and he informed that his jet boat doen't have a depth finder and neither one of us has much experience with Halibut. I think we will mainly hunt and try fishing for rock fish and sea bass in some of the shallower places. Anybody know the best way to jig for these? or should we try to buy some bait?

I hope this isn't a jon boat, as it just doesn't have the freeboard or hull shape to be safely used in the salt water. But assuming it's a boat capable of the conditions in the sound.

I'd get some point wilson darts and cripled herring in the 3-6 oz range, white, pink/white, green/silver and just jig around the rock piles. Drop down til you hit bottom, crank up a couple turns and jig. Don't go crazy with the jigging, but if you're deep with mono you will have to move the rod quite a bit. He better at least have charts, as there's lots of water with no fish.