Thread: What is this Bayrunner worth?

Default What is this Bayrunner worth?

My buddy has a 20ft bayrunner that he is gong to sell because he just bought a Hewescraft Sea Runner. What should he ask for it? It has the following Any help would be appreciated! I have fished out of it the last two years and it runs like a top. they are 2 cycle engines 20 foot Bayrunner
    90 horse Evinrude
    10 horse Evinrude
    Lowrance 525 sounder and plotter
    Hummingbird sounder
    VHF radio
    2 Penn fathom master downriggers
    1 Cannon downrigger
    Claw anchor and 400 anchor line with 25 feet of chain
    Full canvas
    Trailer rigged for Deep Creek launch

Year of boat and motors and hrs?

I would say early 90's or possibly late 80's. I will find out for sure

Is it a center console or runabout version?
    a buddy of mine bought a similar one, center console, 90 & 9.9 yamaha 2 strokes, GPS & finder, no top or canvas, 5k. Not sure of year but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue as overall condition.
    I'd pay a bit more for the runabout with canvas.
    problem is we're at a point in marine progress where 2 strokes are just not happenin'. The motors may be in great shape with low hrs but nobody would buy those engines if they were off the boat unless they were almost given away. kinda stuck with em and most people are immediately gonna think about how much to re-power which will affect what they feel the boat is worth.
    gotta love the simplicity, power & light weight of those older engines.

[QUOTE=I'd pay a bit more for the runabout with canvas.
    problem is we're at a point in marine progress where 2 strokes are just not happenin'. The motors may be in great shape with low hrs but nobody would buy those engines if they were off the boat unless they were almost given away. kinda stuck with em and most people are immediately gonna think about how much to re-power which will affect what they feel the boat is worth.
    gotta love the simplicity, power & light weight of those older engines.[/QUOTE]

Truth. I would figure with well running 2 strokes 3500-5500 depending on options. Now if the motors are like new you may do better if its a turn key boat. I loved mine and stacked it full of tuna more then a few times. Keep is posted I may be interested

Its a center console

A couple years ago I bought an 18' Valco Bayrunner w/ 1995' 40 Johnson (Alaskan), center console, no topper, for $3k....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

A lot depends on condition but I would guess between $9k - $11k. Sounds like a nice setup.

So much depends on the condition of the motors. And not just just a " they run like new" comment. People want hrs and service records. At 13+years old they can be basically new <500hrs or time for replacement >1250hrs.

A compression check would be in order I think. 9-11k sounds steep. With 4 strokes 15k maybe. There's been one on clist for quite a while, hasn't sold yet for I think 19k. These boats are kinda like Hewes, they usually sell like hot cakes if reasonably priced.
    most people are going to instantly think "hmmmm, re-powering to 4 strokes is gonna put me close or over 20 thousand into this"
    hate to say it but been there myself (who hasn't?), 2 strokes things of the past.

The more important question that what is it worth, is at what price does it make sense to you. The way I look at pricing a used boat is that no matter what the seller or service records say, I have to keep in the back of my mind the fact that the engine could grenade the first time I take the boat out. So then the followup question concerning value is if I had to repower the main, what would the boat be worth with a brand new main, and can I afford such a re-power in the short time worst comes to worse. A new 90 horse 4 stroke or Tohatsu TLDI with controls and prop is right around $10k. So I'd work backwards from the position of what would that boat be worth with a brand new 90 horse, subtract $10k and that is the most I'd be willing to pay for that boat. I wouldn't factor any value for the electronics on the boat.

Now if the boat is in good condition and the engines have a fair bit of life left, you're looking at a capable boat for not alot of money to purchase or run. Just remember to factor in the cost of signalling devices, safety equipment, you'll likely want to upgrade the sounder and a few other odds and ends.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.