Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power belt

Default Power belt

They shot decent in my remington 700 ml. I picked up a tc pro hunter, I use to hunt with shock waves and hornadys, And they always did there job on deer. But I've never shot an animal with power belts, Anyone here have any reviews.

Throw them in the trash unless u want to loose animals... Had several buddy's shooting whitetails with no exit holes... No exit means little to no blood trail..... Get you some 250 grain Barnes m/l bullets...

O well, Got some target rounds then, I'd like to try the new ( non sabot ) hornadys

Lots of horror stories about the Powerbelt. Also lots of people that love them.

I've just started using the Hornady 300gr. FPB over 100 of Blackhorn. Impressive results so far on paper. Can't tell you yet regarding performance on moose, etc.

I've shot a couple dozen deer and two black bears with 245 gr. powerbelts. Pass throughs on most. I can't think a of deer that went over 20 yards. Later on I'll post a picture of a powerbelt that didn't pass through.

I'm wondering if you're using the newer version. If so, you're one of the first I've seen to report on them.

The old ones were so inconsistent, both in accuracy and performance on game, everyone I know swore them off for good and refused to spend a nickel on the new.

Same here as Brownbear posted. Inconsistent in all the guns I have tried them in. The only big game I have shot with the muzzleloader is deer. Most of these have been with a saboted 240 gr. Hornady. I have had very good results with these bullets on accuracy and if I do my part a short blood trail.

This came from a 50 yard shot on a whitetail doe. She was probably about 100 lbs. Heavy quartering to me, shot right in front of the left shoulder. 245 gr powerbelt aero tip. 50 cal TC Omega. She dropped on the spot

I'm surprised you were able to recover that from a 100# deer at only 50 yards. How much total penetration do you estimate.

I used them for 10 or so years on whitetails without a problem--348 grain HP copper clad. I had great accuracy and field performance, but never shot anything larger than a deer. I never recovered a slug from ±15 deer and was always impressed with their terminal performance.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I found the bullet in the right rear thigh when I was butchering. I seem to remember that it was just below the surface of the quarter but it had already run just about the full length of the deer.

Default Powerbelt bullets for dangerous game?

[QUOTE=BrownBear;1308613]I'm wondering if you're using the newer version. If so, you're one of the first I've seen to report on them.

Powerbelt bullets for dangerous game?
    Kodiak Brown Bear

Daughter and I have had good to excellent results withPowerbelt bullets In AK.!!
    Hill alone has taken 3 Bull Moose, Mountain Goat and inlandBrown Bear all with a single shot fired from her .50 cal. CVA Optima with 26”barrel. All dropped “single shot” with-in 15-25 yds. Two actually dropped in their tracks.

Shot placement on the above animals was not a problem as most of the shots were within bow range.
    Exception of one…. didn’t get complete penetration on 3 ofthe 5 animals… however, all dropped in veryshort distance!!!!

Current bullet ofchoose:
    .50 cal./348 grain/aerotip copper, 150 grain pyrodex pellets,209 primer.

My question…
    Would we be better off using less powder say 100 to 120grains vs. 150 grains?
    Would we be better off using heaver grain conical?

Thinking of switching:
    338 grain/aerotip platinum bullet with 120 grains of powdersame primer
    Or switch to 405 grain/aerotip copper with 120 grains of powdersame primer

Any technical feedback welcome!
    Plan to call Powerbelt Monday as well as CVA and see what they suggest.

Brown Bear appreciate your feedback from previous post

Great to get firsthand reports. Thanks!

No clue on the results of changing powder charges, other than the obvious- If they're coming apart they need to be slowed down or replaced with a stouter bullet. But that's speculation rather than fact.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Great to get firsthand reports. Thanks!

No clue on the results of changing powder charges, other than the obvious- If they're coming apart they need to be slowed down or replaced with a stouter bullet. But that's speculation rather than fact.
    We'll trycontacting Powerbelt on Monday.

I'm a bowhunter so all this muzzle-loader stuff little new to me.
    Hillarie’s the one that’s taken to hunting with muzzle loader.

Just got back from doing some hunting in VA for whitetails. My uncle shot a buck about 55 yards in the front shoulder with .50 cal 295 grain power belt. The bullet hit and exploded with no exit. We couldn't find any blood at all for the first several hundred yards and then got lucky and started finding a little bit. We eventually found the buck and went we pulled the hide off it was like there was shot gun pellets falling out. I won't use them anymore. I think they are a good bullet on a perfect behind the shoulder shot but I prefer two holes.

Here is a bullet that gets outstanding reviews. They sell out early so they aren't available all year. These are not sabots. They send you a sample pack of five different size bullets and you order the size that fits your barrel.

https://thorbullets.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    The bullet hit and exploded with no exit. We couldn't find any blood at all for the first several hundred yards and then got lucky and started finding a little bit. We eventually found the buck and went we pulled the hide off it was like there was shot gun pellets falling out. I won't use them anymore.
    That's pretty consistent with the reports I get from users up here.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's pretty consistent with the reports I get from users up here.
    Ok guys if a 24 year old girl can put “animal-s” downwith Power Belt Bullets you can too................

Daughter/Hillary just took a “Huge Kodiak Brown Bear” a few days ago with herCVA Acura………Having it sealed tomorrow in Kodiak

She used 209 primer, 100 grains triple seven and 405grain aerotip Power Belt Bullet.

Pro from CVA, Chad recommended us to “lighten up on thepowder with heavier bullet”.
    Too much powder bullet will come apart
    Brown Bear mentioned the same see his post

Chad said he’s take Cape Buffalo with similar set up towhat Hillarie used to catch her Kodiak Brown

I’ll try to post some pictures if I can figure out how to do it……..

History Channel filmed the entire hunt should air next Fall.
    TV series will be called “Grizzly Men”. Not sure howHillarie fits that profile J

Ohh Hill kilt a deer too on Kodiak............interestingscenario with the deer.
    My gun CVA Optima with 150 grains triple seven powder, 348 grain aero tip powerbelt, two layers of tape over muzzle.

After hitting ribs, bullet came apart upon impact. Shrapnel completely obliteratedthe lungs lodging opposite side in hide. Not sure what that was all about. Tenyard shot.

Not sure if tape had a significant role in bullet comingapart or if it was due to such close range. First time I’ve ever seen thishappen other than my muzzle loader pistol having too much powder

Quote Originally Posted by ramdap View Post
    Not sure what that was all about. Tenyard shot.
    Can't say how many deer I've shot in 40 years on the rock, or how many calibers and ranges. All with tape on the muzzle, with many in cartridge guns pushing their pills lots faster than a ML can dream of. Never an issue with the tape. Now, take a fragile bullet like the Power Bunk, push it with 150 grains of Trip Seven, and hit a deer at 10 yards. That's your culprit.

Got two daughters of my own, and they'd break your face for using them to justify anything. Your life. Your daughter. Your bullets. Your choices. I just hope you stay well clear of my neighborhood when you go to sticking brown bears with such a questionable bullet. Leave me with a wounded bear in the neighborhood, and then it becomes MY business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast