Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Survival: Alaska

Default Ultimate Survival: Alaska

Did anyone watch this show tonight? I've never been in the Brooks, but looking at some of the terrain one if the groups was going through had me scratching my head at their "time." When they had 52 hours left (20 hours elapsed since they started), they had only 21 of 50 miles left. Is this feasible? 29 miles in 20 hours? They were also the group that stayed below the tree line... And, at that "pace" managed to finish within an hour of the plane arriving.

Also, what do you think about 50 miles through the bush in 72 hours? Maybe I'm just slow, but in that terrain, it didn't seem too accurate.

I know - TV is TV. But, I was just curious what other armchair quarterbacks thought...

Did 17 miles with a solo sheep hunt pack in 8 hours.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Did 17 miles with a solo sheep hunt pack in 8 hours.

Above the trees or down low? I'm just curious because it didn't look like the easiest terrain on the show. Not saying it didn't happen, just seemed like another show that's fallen victim to "reality." Hopefully I'm wrong.

I heard some of those young army guys go 12 in 3 hours..24 in 6..wait..that's on a road..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

What make you think any of it is true, it a tv show it all fake.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    What make you think any of it is true, it a tv show it all fake.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. The ultimate irony is someone who chooses his username from a TV show bashing another TV show.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Above the trees or down low? I'm just curious because it didn't look like the easiest terrain on the show. Not saying it didn't happen, just seemed like another show that's fallen victim to "reality." Hopefully I'm wrong.
    On a trail, that started above tree line and ended up below. Trail was great above tree line as it went into the trees dead fall, wash outs and creek crossings. The closer to civilization it got better.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Another fake reality show in Alaska
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. The ultimate irony is someone who chooses his username from a TV show bashing another TV show.
    Can't say I disagree with you. Good call

MacGyver was always one of my favorites. My son is addicted to it now too.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Did anyone watch this show tonight? I've never been in the Brooks, but looking at some of the terrain one if the groups was going through had me scratching my head at their "time." When they had 52 hours left (20 hours elapsed since they started), they had only 21 of 50 miles left. Is this feasible? 29 miles in 20 hours? They were also the group that stayed below the tree line... And, at that "pace" managed to finish within an hour of the plane arriving.

Also, what do you think about 50 miles through the bush in 72 hours? Maybe I'm just slow, but in that terrain, it didn't seem too accurate.

I know - TV is TV. But, I was just curious what other armchair quarterbacks thought...
    I think it is doable if you're really pushing yourself, and especially if you're in great condition. When I was 22 and in the Marines, my unit, after four straight months of training with almost all vices prohibited during that period, covered 22-1/2 miles in 98-deg. temps in July in Camp Pendleton in 5-1/2 hours. We each had a uniform 70-lbs of packed gear (pack and deuce gear) and flak jackets, helmets (both mercilessly trapping the tremendous heat), and M-16--for a total of about 90-lbs of gear. We started up a long mountain range pass; then down the other side; then to the beach along a valley (the least-Hellish part); then along the Pacific beach (the worst; forced-marching in the sand with 90-lbs is almost impossible); and then up another high mountain to the north. After four months of intense, mostly vice-free training, only 70% of us in our training company (in MCT) made it without falling out, and we almost all were 18-23 yrs old. When asked what is the most dificult thing I ever have had to do (excluding emotionally), I never have to heistate. That was it. Granted, I was spent at the end. But hard training continued for the the next few days, and we all (the 70%) did it. If someone offered me $10M and I got a year to do nothing but train, I'm not sure I could do that again, now. But that's almost half the 50-mile distance in 5-1/2 hours. I know the terrain is different, but the sand is almost worse. And you probably could average 1.5 mph for eleven hours each day for three straight days if you tried pretty hard, even in the tundra and swamps. That would do it.

Overall, my 6 & 9 yr-old sons like the show, and I think it's better for them than most crap on TV, and less drama-queen-prone than most reality crap. That being said, this week when they had the camera inches below the coyboy bowman guy's boot right as he happened to slip on a cliff: things like demonstrate that show that the show is staged, or at least reenacted for the camera at times. If the producers were clever, they would cut out the obvious stagings like that to make it "seem" more realistic. Even my 9-yr-old keeps asking (when the eight participant supposedly are going to starve because they can't catch a fish or shoot a goose): "What are the camera-men eating? Are they going to starve too?"

Still, at least they show the guys fail at basic things like fishing, shooting fowl, navigating, making fire, etc ..., which helpfully shows that stuff like that is hard and not to be taken for granted.

It is totally fake! I am watching the Savage Beasts episode, and two guys just pulled a halibut into their boat that was not even alive, then proceeded to shoot it for for show (putting a hole in the boat).

Quote Originally Posted by AKTroutGuy View Post
    It is totally fake! I am watching the Savage Beasts episode, and two guys just pulled a halibut into their boat that was not even alive, then proceeded to shoot it for for show (putting a hole in the boat).
    Did you notice the halibut had a rope through its gills as it came into the boat.

Fun show to watch, but this is typical of reality TV... spiced up for our viewing pleasure.

I liked the military guys shooting into the "bear den" and running away myself.

sent from my igloo

Once the camera is present, all "Reality" is gone.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AKTroutGuy View Post
    Yeah, Marty, for a guy that prides himself as being a "real" Alaskan, shooting a halibut INSIDE the boat was good for a great laugh, which unfortunately is what the whole show is worth and nothing but.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Same with them "suddenly" springing a leak near the finish line...

sent from my igloo

And yet, ya'll seem to be watching it, thus helping boost ratings.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I'll watch almost anything once... won't be tuning in again

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    And yet, ya'll seem to be watching it, thus helping boost ratings.....
    Like I said, it's good for a laugh when nothing else better is on.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast