Thread: May 11 & 12 Where was everybody at Seward

Default May 11 & 12 Where was everybody at Seward

Yes the weather was a snotty kind of nice, lots of rain and drizzle. Left Seward saturday at about 10:00 AM ... nobody at the docks. Ran to Little Johnstone bay and got into a lot of small Rockfish, released all, then went to some under water hills around Ellerington Island and found the real 7 to 10 LB Rockfish that fill the freezer. Limited out, released some huge Lings and my hand will take a week to heal from the Jig that was set a little to deep in that big mouth. We then did an overnight stay at Fox Farm bay. The kids got the dingy down and explored, I had a couple of brews. Next day back to just east of Cape Junken in about 250 ft of water and had had a steady bite of Halibut Yelloweye Cod and ugggggg Arrow Tooth Flounder, returned to an empty Seward with a two day limit of Rockfish and Halibut. All of the Buts were between 15 and 30 lbs. Hooked into a big one but when I passed off the rod to the out of state visitor, lost it, my guess was 80 to 100 lb.

Fish are there ... where are the fisherman?

There were a huge number of boats driving toward Anchorage this afternoon (the boats weren't driving, they were being towed...) when we drove down to the game farm for Mother's Day...I'm surprised there weren't many people there. Maybe everyone was getting their sea legs back in Whittier??

We were pretty lonely out there on April 20th too.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

We got out to Puget area the 10th and did OK, but not a limit of halibut. Limited on rockfish, the big ones too. I didn't see many other boats out being a Friday. One of the guys I had on board went out with a charter Saturday and headed west since they said the boats are coming back with half limits and they wanted to try something new. So west they went and 15 guys brought back 2 halibut - ouch!

Becoming way more impressed with Cape Junken, past the cape itself, go east untill it starts to drop off, anchor up in about 250 to 300 ft of water, before the 600 ft trench between Junken and Puget ... occasionally the charter guy's give up a few secrets .... thanks AKCapt, BTW the folks that I take out probably could not afford a charter anyway ... that is except my airplane mechanic but John keeps me safe in the air and I have got to take care of him and his friends ....