Thread: Yakima boat racks for Kayak carry soft top boat

Default Yakima boat racks for Kayak carry soft top boat

Trying to come up with afordable rocket launcher LW Kayak carry for my 20 foot softtop Koffler Baybee.

Any one use gutter style mount bracket and Yakima cross bars and a cartop carry for storage. Called a local fabricator and the 2K pricewas more than I wanted to spend.

If could fabricate to gutter mounts and risers, that attach to boat side then attach the cross bars, center support
    would be the carrier that attaches to the cross bars. Thoughts or ideas. Would need paint and maintenance to prevent rust.

The wife had the Yaks and saddles on her rig. I personally didn't think that highly of them. Kind of wimpy. Definitely overpriced. Guess they worked though. On the good side they were light. Bear in mind this was 20 yrs ago. Maybe they are completely different. I ended up just making my own for my p/u with shell. They were thrown together real quick before I went to Kodiak and my plan was to remake them better later. I still have them on the same truck today just as I originally made but with a paint stain added.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I already have the Yakima racks and kayak holder, just need a way to mount them above my soft top boat.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    I already have the Yakima racks and kayak holder, just need a way to mount them above my soft top boat.
    You might want to change out all the screws and such for stainless if you're putting the rack on your boat. Been a while since I owned one, but just having it on my car around saltwater ended up in rusted masses. That was an older model, so maybe they smartened up and switched to stainless already? Something to verify anyway.