Thread: Handgun availability varies...

Default Handgun availability varies...

Curious if anyone can explain how certain models of handguns are "rare" in one region but seemingly plentiful in another. For example, I've been trying to find a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 40 cal, and I can't find one anywhere locally. Sportsmans in Wasilla tells me they haven't seen one since January (but I'm 2nd on the list to get one if it comes in). Similar story at Sportmans in Anchorage (except no waiting list there). Three Bears on KGB has yet to see one (per one clerk). Similar stories at local gun shops I've called in the area...

Yet Gunbroker.com has several shops in the lower 48 that offer this model regularly. One particular shop has had them available for auction on a daily basis for the past week, but they are going for quite a bit above what Sportmans will sell them for (IF they had them, and therein applies the law of supply and demand...).

How is the distribution of these handguns so skewed?

Not complaining, really. Just kinda curious to understand the dynamics involved here. Are these Gunbroker.com guns in any way different than the guns being shipped to other stores???
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Well this is Alaska, gun sellers here pretty much all get their stock from one wholesaler. Said wholesaler doesnít order large lots of the same stuff as lower 48 wholesalers because this is Alaska and different things sell in quantity here than down there. Down there gun shops have a long list of wholesalers to buy from and can get better deals on a wider verity of stock. Here if you want one or two of something in your shop you end up paying retail so need to sell above retail price to make any money on it . . . Very hard to sell anything above retail price so that just isnít done.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Enlightening. And I guess part and parcel for living in the Great Land. Thanks.
    Palmer, Alaska

Frontier in fairbanks has 1 in .40 and 1 in 9mm

Go see Sterling at Arctic Ammo on Palmer/Wasilla HWY. It's in the blue building across the street from the go - cart track. In my experience, Sterling has a way of acquiring things no-one else in town can. He's a great guy to do business with too.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

As a dealer I am free to deal with whoever has the product I need, if they will accept my order. However, large retailers, say Wal-mart or SW, have the ability to buy any given product in very large quantities. In doing so, they will usually obtain volume discounts that allow them to sell at or below an independent dealers' cost, and still make a reasonable profit. Availability is not necessarily regional, as much as who has ordered large quantities of any given item and has a large stock on hand to sell from. The manufacturers may only make a given model of firearm once a year, or once every two years, as demand warrants. This will also play into the hands of the dealer/ distributor who has ordered large quantities of a given firearm that then is temporarily out of production so the assembly line can make a different model for a while. Which may make it difficult for a small dealer to find an item at a reasonable price, possibly being forced to buy on the secondary market.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

OK. Wednesday morning I drove from Palmer to Wasilla intending to stop by Arctic Ammo along the way and talk to Sterling. But first I passed Three Bears at Trunk Rd, so decided to drop in and see what they had. Lo and behold, a 40 S&W M&P Shield for $402 that arrived Tuesday, but with a "MA trigger" (heavier trigger pull). Since that was the first one I've seen in, well, I got it. Then I drove over to Arctic Ammo -- and dang it if they didn't just get one in on Tuesday, too. I left that one for the next person. Nice folks over there at Arctic Ammo.
    Palmer, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by trochilids View Post
    OK. Wednesday morning I drove from Palmer to Wasilla intending to stop by Arctic Ammo along the way and talk to Sterling. But first I passed Three Bears at Trunk Rd, so decided to drop in and see what they had. Lo and behold, a 40 S&W M&P Shield for $402 that arrived Tuesday, but with a "MA trigger" (heavier trigger pull). Since that was the first one I've seen in, well, I got it. Then I drove over to Arctic Ammo -- and dang it if they didn't just get one in on Tuesday, too. I left that one for the next person. Nice folks over there at Arctic Ammo.
    I'm glad you found your pistol and got to meet the folks at Arctic Ammo. Happy shooting!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default big dealers

One of the cheapest places to buy new handguns used to the be the big Texas gun shows. They had several dealers that would come in and get a large block of tables and sell nothing but new handguns. They sold to the public at lower prices than many small dealers could buy them from distributors. The big key was quanity -those guys would move more handguns in a weekend than most gun stores would sell in years and they had minimum overhead to pay.

Not sure if this is still true- I haven't been to a show there in years.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    As a dealer I am free to deal with whoever has the product I need, if they will accept my order. However, large retailers, say Wal-mart or SW, have the ability to buy any given product in very large quantities. In doing so, they will usually obtain volume discounts that allow them to sell at or below an independent dealers' cost, and still make a reasonable profit. Availability is not necessarily regional, as much as who has ordered large quantities of any given item and has a large stock on hand to sell from. The manufacturers may only make a given model of firearm once a year, or once every two years, as demand warrants. This will also play into the hands of the dealer/ distributor who has ordered large quantities of a given firearm that then is temporarily out of production so the assembly line can make a different model for a while. Which may make it difficult for a small dealer to find an item at a reasonable price, possibly being forced to buy on the secondary market.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK