Thread: Lowell Point Question

Default Lowell Point Question

Every year the wife, and I head to Seward for memorial weekend. We have had luck snagging reds on Nash, dollies off the beach, and a few rockfish from shore.. We have had some friends move up from MN, and this will be there first trip to Seward... I'm hoping with the high tide that the reds will be running giving us some opportunities for snagging... The real question is on how to catch feeder kings from the shore... I'd love to show these new arrivals what alaska is all about... Since I have never fished for kings in seward any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks
    ryan

Pretty tough but not impossible. Rather than Lowell Pt I would suggest throwing large Krocadiles near the tunnel bridge where the snaggers hang out. (Just past the sea life center). U would even stand a better chance along the rd heading out that way in my opinion. You might even try some roe under a bobber. Hate to say it but the odds are against u. Just not enough of them around. Never has been. That's why the snag gets get most. All 50 of them get concentrated by their sense of smell making for easier pickings. Keep that part in mind.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Since the Fish & Game folks quit seeding kings in Seward there is not much chance of catching any kings from shore. The kings thta used to be caught at the culvert and water fall were put there by there, that was not a natural fishery with them coming in to spawn. The culvert fishing spot is no longer the same for snagging due to the large pad that was put in south of the harbor and the new large cuverts placed there. There is some talk about silvers being seeding again, hopefully this happens.

One- Fish on the side of Lowell Point Road just past RBS with Bait (Herring)under a bobber or with slinky weight/ Banana weight of the bottom with a corky or spin n Glo.
    Two- Walk around the Break Water on the South End of the Harbor or by the Waterfall Bridge or the Culvert(ask someone they will point it out) and throw 3/4oz Vibrax or Blue Fox. This is a sight casting deal find the fish and shoot.
    Three-There is no natural run of Kings in Seward it is enhanced. But the Sea Life center does do a small release every year so there are feeders around depending on how their Big Trip out to Sea and back went. Good luck. King fishing is tough. Go out with no expectations and you may be rewarded.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Trip the first suggestion that Frankie above me said. Someone just caught a nice king using that technique two days ago.....

Good luck and be patient!!

Thank you very much for all the tips that were mentioned above. I am not going down there with any real expectations of catching one, but thats why they call it fishing. We camp at Millers Landing for the weekend, and know that road pretty well. Once again I appreciate all the tips.

Thanks
    Ryan